Explanation of Ice Cube in water.

In summary: I'm not so sure. Can someone clarify?The heat moves from the water to the ice cube as soon as the ice cube touches it. It is constantly being transferred before, during, and even after the phase change until the temperature is at equilibrium.
swag
Hi,

Could someone please explain what happens when an ice cube is put into a glass of hot water? I'm talking about the phase change and how the water gets cold.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
when you put it in water there is an overwhelming probability that net energy from the ice cube will transfer to the water

Could you expand? I mean is there a transfer of heat before, after, or during the phase change from solid to liquid?

Curl said:
when you put it in water there is an overwhelming probability that net energy from the ice cube will transfer to the water

You whaaaaat?
Are you proposing to do something very extraordinary with the pressure? Doesn't thermal energy go from Hot to Cold in this Universe?

To begin with, think of "heat" simply as kinetic energy being transferred around between molecules. The transfer happens when molecules collide: if you strike a slow moving ball with a faster ball, the slow one moves a bit faster and the fast one a bit slower.

It's about the same with molecules and kinetic energy.

When you put the ice cube in the water, it has a lower temperature and therefore less heat (transfer of "movement") per gram than liquid water (so ice is like the "slow ball.") The liquid water molecules, which are moving faster and have higher kinetic energy, give the molecules in the ice some of their kinetic energy when they collide.

Remember that solid water is a crystal, and its molecules don't really move. The transfer of kinetic energy causes molecules to start moving, which disrupts the crystal and turns it into liquid water. So I suppose the transfer of heat occurs "during" the phase change.

The water becomes cold since it loses (overall) kinetic energy to the ice, the same way the fast-moving ball loses momentum to the slower one.

As sophiecentuar said, thermal energy goes from "hot" to "cold." Kinetic energy transfers indicate heat; cold is only the absence of these transfers. Curl is at least right that there is a net energy transfer.

...Mm. I'm not too good at explaining things, sorry. But I hope you find it a little bit helpful.

swag said:
Could you expand? I mean is there a transfer of heat before, after, or during the phase change from solid to liquid?

The heat moves from the water to the ice cube as soon as the ice cube touches it. It is constantly being transferred before, during, and even after the phase change until the temperature is at equilibrium.

sophiecentaur said:
You whaaaaat?
Are you proposing to do something very extraordinary with the pressure? Doesn't thermal energy go from Hot to Cold in this Universe?

oops lol, the other way around.

Consider the hot water and the ice cube to be the two components that together comprise a system. Why is it that a small amount of ice can cool hot water to what we would speak of as "cool" water? It's because the energy contained in the crystal structure of ice, per gram of ice, is much greater than the energy that is contained in even a gram of very hot water. The specific heat capacity of liquid water is 4.184 J/g/K so that even water at 373 K, just below its normal boiling point, cooled down to 273 K, its normal melting point, will comprise an approximately 420 J/g of heat that can be transferred.

By contrast, the latent heat of fusion for ice is 334 J/g. Imagine if you had a ice and liquid water in 1:1 mass ratio. A quick calculation using principles of calorimetry will show that liquid water initially at 175 degrees Fahrenheit, which is hot enough that you will most surely die if immersed in a bathtub of water that hot, can be cooled down to just above the freezing point of water by that equal mass of ice initially present.

You could literally see the thermometer drop from water that will kill you because it's too hot to water that will kill you because it's too cold. That's the power of ice. =)

jay has the right idea. It takes some heat input to the ice to cause it to turn to liquid water, which is called latent heat of fusion. This heat energy is effectively used to break the close bonds of ice, to turn them into much looser liquid water bonds. (Which requires energy). The heat for the process comes from the hot water which the ice was placed in.

At this point you might think "Hey! the temperature of the water went down and the ice turned into liquid water without necessarily increasing in temperature, so doesn't that mean that entropy has decreased!?" But actually, the ice has lower entropy than liquid water, so the entropy of the ice increases when it changes phase.

EDIT: I said latent heat of fusion, but I think that term is used for the heat coming out when liquid turns to solid. But you see what I mean when the process goes the other way, it requires a heat input.

See this thermal conductivity problem/experiment I did on this.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=488849

Note: Actually this equation is for steady state but the actual melting time was very close
to calculated.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity
scroll to equations at bottom of page

Last edited:

1. What causes an ice cube to float in water?

The density of ice is lower than that of liquid water. When an ice cube is placed in water, the cold temperature causes the water molecules to move slower and become more tightly packed. This makes the water more dense than the ice cube, causing it to sink. However, as the ice cube continues to cool the surrounding water, the water molecules start to freeze and expand, making the ice cube less dense and causing it to float.

2. Why does an ice cube melt in water?

An ice cube melts in water due to the process of heat transfer. When the ice cube is placed in water, the water molecules collide with the ice cube and transfer heat to it. This heat causes the ice cube to gain energy and melt into liquid water.

3. How does an ice cube in water reach equilibrium?

As an ice cube floats in water, it will continue to melt due to the heat transfer from the surrounding water. Eventually, the rate of melting will equal the rate of freezing, and the ice cube will reach equilibrium where it maintains its size and shape.

4. Can an ice cube melt faster in saltwater than in freshwater?

Yes, an ice cube will melt faster in saltwater than in freshwater. This is because salt lowers the freezing point of water, meaning that the surrounding saltwater will be at a lower temperature than the freshwater. As a result, the ice cube will experience a larger temperature difference and melt at a faster rate.

5. How does the presence of air bubbles in ice affect its melting rate in water?

The presence of air bubbles in ice can actually slow down its melting rate in water. This is because the air bubbles act as insulators, trapping pockets of cold air within the ice cube. This prevents the surrounding water molecules from transferring heat to the ice cube as quickly, slowing down the melting process.