Determine if a matric is diagonalizable and diagonlize it

• Thread starter DODGEVIPER13
  • Start date
In summary: But now that I understand it I am relieved.In summary, the matrix is diagonalizable and you can find matrices S and (symbol that looks similar to A) such that the given matrix equals S(weird symbol)S^(-1).
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

Determine if the matrix is diagonalizable. If so, find matrices S and (symbol that looks similar to A) such that the given matrix equals S(weird symbol)S^(-1).

Homework Equations

C1X1+C2X2+...CnXn = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was take the matrix | 1 4 | and transform it to | λ-1 -4|
| 1 -2 | | -1 λ+2|

Then I said (λ-1)(λ+2)-4 which equals λ^2+λ-6 I found that the eigenvalues were -3 and 2 whic I then took and plugged -3 into the matrix equation that I transformed with the lamdas. Then I did this | -4 -4 | | x1 | |0|
| -1 -1 | | x2 | = |0|
which gave me two equations -4x1-4x2 = 0 and -x1-x2 = 0 but this is where I am lost which one should I assign an abritray variavle to x1 or x2 I get that it is only to none pivot numbers and the second row are constants so you can't use those but I have seen in some cases where that is not true so I am confused? Anyways solve that and I get v1 = |1 |
|-1|
and then I use the same procedure with the other eigen val and get v2 = |4|
|1|
I put those together and achieve | 1 4 |
|-1 1 |
this is incorrect however it is supposed to be | 4 1 |
| 1 -1 |
why is this and how do I know which eigenvalue gives me which eigenvector?

Physics news on Phys.org
The forum gaarbled up what I put sorry but I don't know how to use brackets to tell the format to be correct

Just slide the stuff to the left to the right so that it fits under where the rest of matrix is then you can read it again sorry

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Determine if the matrix is diagonalizable. If so, find matrices S and (symbol that looks similar to A) such that the given matrix equals S(weird symbol)S^(-1).

This "weird symbol" is it this?: [itex]\wedge[/itex] - it's called vec

By the way, where is the full matrix? You should always post the entire question. If you don't know how to type it in LaTeX, maybe just do a screenshot or take a clear picture, and attach it to your post.

sharks said:
This "weird symbol" is it this?: [itex]\wedge[/itex] - it's called vec
I don't think so. It's probably this symbol - ##\Lambda## - Uppercase Lambda. That makes more sense in this problem, since ##\Lambda## is the diagonal matrix, and it's entries on the main diagonal are the eigenvalues, λ1 and λ2.

Is this your original matrix?
$$
\left( \begin{matrix}
1 & 4 \\
1 & -2
\end{matrix} \right)
$$

Thank you Mark44 for clarification on the symbol and thankyou sharks for now I will take a pic and submit it. And Joffan yes that is the matrix

I have attached an image of my work it should be much clearer now sorry for the scratch out on one part.

Attachments

• EPSON001.jpg
    EPSON001.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 369
Okay, you have eigenvector [1, -1] corresponding to eigenvalue -3 and eigenvector [4, 1] corresponding to eigevalue 1. Those are correct.

You then put them together to form matrix "P" (you have it labeled [itex]\vec{V}[/itex] which is incorrect- this is a matrix, not a vector.)
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 4 \\ -1 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] and declare that it this is incorrect. Why? You need to understand that there are, in fact, an infinite number of different matrices, P, so that, for this matrix A, [itex]P^{-1}AP[/itex] is diagonal. The matrix which you say is incorrect is perfectly correct. Using it as P will give you the diagonal matrix
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}-3 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Using the matrix that you say is correct,
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}4 & 1 \\ 1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
has the two columns (eigenvectors) reversed and so gives
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which is also a diagonal matrix, just the eigenvalues in different places.

Ok thanks man I kinda figured it was right but the answer in the back scared me a bit

What does it mean for a matrix to be diagonalizable?

A matrix is diagonalizable if it can be transformed into a diagonal matrix through a similarity transformation. This means that the matrix can be expressed as a product of three matrices: A = PDP^-1, where P is an invertible matrix and D is a diagonal matrix.

How do you determine if a matrix is diagonalizable?

To determine if a matrix is diagonalizable, you need to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. If the matrix has n distinct eigenvalues, where n is the size of the matrix, and the corresponding eigenvectors are linearly independent, then the matrix is diagonalizable.

What is the process for diagonalizing a matrix?

The process for diagonalizing a matrix involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, constructing the diagonal matrix D with the eigenvalues as its diagonal entries, and finding the invertible matrix P by using the eigenvectors as its columns. The diagonalization of the matrix is then achieved through the equation A = PDP^-1.

Can a non-square matrix be diagonalizable?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be diagonalizable because it does not have the same number of rows and columns. The diagonalization process requires a square matrix to be able to construct the diagonal matrix D and the invertible matrix P.

Why is it important to determine if a matrix is diagonalizable?

Determining if a matrix is diagonalizable is important in various applications of matrix algebra. Diagonalizable matrices have simpler properties and are easier to work with in calculations. They also have important applications in solving systems of linear equations, differential equations, and in data analysis.