I say "pop", you say "soda"...

by jtbell
Tags: soda
DaleSwanson
Jun29-12, 02:09 PM
P: 351
I remember the first time I heard someone call a soda 'pop' I thought they were joking and laughed.

Anyway, here's an interesting link I found a long time ago that this thread reminded me of.

http://www4.uwm.edu//FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

It's similar to this pop vs soda but for many different things, eg, garage sale vs yard sale.
Ms Music
Jun29-12, 04:40 PM
P: 173
That map is interesting!

I grew up with "soda pop", so neither alone sounds strange to me. Didn't realize it was an issue. And they are called "vacuum cleaners."

Here is another one. I think I was a legal adult (or at least mid teens) before I ever heard the word "KOO pon" (coupon). I grew up hearing "KYOO pon". Anyone else use that? I have always wondered if it was a local thing started by our grocery store "QFC" but I am not sure.
turbo
Jun29-12, 04:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Here in Maine, you commonly hear people talk about their front yards or even door-yards (amongst older folks), but the word lawn is generally relegated to referring to the grass itself. Still, the phrase "lawn sale" is pretty common. The phrase "garage sale" implies that the goods will be under shelter and the sale will proceed even in inclement weather.
jtbell
Jun29-12, 04:53 PM
Mentor
P: 11,255
Quote Quote by Ms Music View Post
I think I was a legal adult (or at least mid teens) before I ever heard the word "KOO pon" (coupon). I grew up hearing "KYOO pon".
For me, it's "kewpon."
leroyjenkens
Jun29-12, 07:21 PM
P: 528
Quote Quote by DaleSwanson View Post
I remember the first time I heard someone call a soda 'pop' I thought they were joking and laughed.

Anyway, here's an interesting link I found a long time ago that this thread reminded me of.

http://www4.uwm.edu//FLL/linguistics/dialect/maps.html

It's similar to this pop vs soda but for many different things, eg, garage sale vs yard sale.
That website is, pardon my Swahili, darn interesting.
Quote Quote by Ms Music View Post
That map is interesting!

I grew up with "soda pop", so neither alone sounds strange to me. Didn't realize it was an issue. And they are called "vacuum cleaners."

Here is another one. I think I was a legal adult (or at least mid teens) before I ever heard the word "KOO pon" (coupon). I grew up hearing "KYOO pon". Anyone else use that? I have always wondered if it was a local thing started by our grocery store "QFC" but I am not sure.
I've heard both my whole life, but kyoo pon just flowed better. I think it's slightly easier to say, too. I think people tend to gradually change pronunciation of words to make it easier. For example "auxiliary" is supposed to be "awg zil yuh ree", but that takes some tongue gymnastics, so people just say "awg zil uh ree".
gmax137
Jun29-12, 08:04 PM
P: 822
Quote Quote by leroyjenkens View Post
... "awg zil yuh ree"...
or, how about "Feb-rew-air-ee"

Register to reply