Reaching End of Diff.EQs: How Much Math/Day?

• Thread starter scout6686
  • Start date
In summary, it is recommended to study as much as needed to understand the material, which can vary for each individual. Typically, studying 3 hours a day can be sufficient, but it may be necessary to increase study time depending on the material and individual understanding. Studying 6 hours a day may lead to a solid understanding of differential equations in about 1-2 years. However, it may take longer to have a satisfactory understanding, and some undergraduate courses may not cover the material in depth. It is important to seek help from professors and practice extensively to fully comprehend differential equations.
scout6686
How long to get to the end of differential equations or graduate level competency?

I am beginning calc and and linear algebra simultaneously and things are progressing nicely, although, I realize I do math about 3 hours per day and I have a few gaps in my math foundation. I am working towards the end of a math undergrad degree and curious, what is a common amount to study math per day? my goal is get solidly to the end of differential equations from where I am now. Conceivably what would be reasonable amount of time to reach this end (varying I'm assuming with hours studied per day).

Do I need to increase my study time to 6 hours per day? What are the common/average amounts most people study/day.

I find that I am so eager/impatient I must admit, however, math is not something you zoom through, in that it is quite immense amount of work no matter what.

Does anyone have any experience about this? I'd appreciate any comments pertaining to this!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

My answer is not going to be helpful to you. But you need to study as much as you need to know the material. Some people need to study a lot, others just read the text and understand everything. If you don't know the material after 3 hours of studying, then you need to study more.

Also, in general: the more you study, the better you will know things (depends on how you study of course).

scout6686 said:
I am beginning calc and and linear algebra simultaneously and things are progressing nicely, although, I realize I do math about 3 hours per day and I have a few gaps in my math foundation. I am working towards the end of a math undergrad degree and curious, what is a common amount to study math per day? my goal is get solidly to the end of differential equations from where I am now. Conceivably what would be reasonable amount of time to reach this end (varying I'm assuming with hours studied per day).
This is going to be dependent on your current and past professors, you can easily study really a lot or very little depending on how well you know the material. If a past professor skipped sections (it happens) you will likely have to work harder in the future. During differential equations studying 3 hours a day for myself was not uncommon.

Some of the more complicated topics in mathematics in general I could easily study 6 hours a day.

One of the best things to do if your struggling is to go in during office hours and ask your professor questions about what you are confused with. If this was unavailable I suspect no amount of studying with my current book could bridge the gap needed to pass well.

so if I study 6 hours per day should I get to the end of diff equations in a 1-2 years. Does that sound about right or does it generally take a bit longer at that rate.

I am about middle-range in terms of aptitude/understanding ability.

I would love some time projections from people have progressed from calc to diff. equations.

If you mean just the mechanics of solving DE's, then 1-2 hours a day for 1-2 months should be enough for each typical college introductory math course. This does vary to how you study and background. My method was about 5-10 minutes of observing an example and the rest being entirely practice from the exercises in the text. However, some extra time should be dedicated to understanding why some techniques are valid.

I don't know about hours spent, but it took two years from starting calculus to finishing diff eq. However, it took a lot longer to have what I consider to be a satisfactory understanding of differential equations. Probably somewhere in grad school, like a year ago when I took the graduate level course. The reality is that many undergraduate differential equations courses, like those based on Boyce and DiPrima are very taught in a very shallow way. It was a big disappointment when I took differential equations the first time, and only after years of reading other things, like physics, real analysis, and other things did I get anything like the understanding that I, with my mathematical spidey-sense, intuitively sensed was missing when I first studied it.

homeomorphic said:
I don't know about hours spent, but it took two years from starting calculus to finishing diff eq. However, it took a lot longer to have what I consider to be a satisfactory understanding of differential equations. Probably somewhere in grad school, like a year ago when I took the graduate level course. The reality is that many undergraduate differential equations courses, like those based on Boyce and DiPrima are very taught in a very shallow way. It was a big disappointment when I took differential equations the first time, and only after years of reading other things, like physics, real analysis, and other things did I get anything like the understanding that I, with my mathematical spidey-sense, intuitively sensed was missing when I first studied it.
Thanks, great info!

1. How much math do I need to do each day to reach the end of differential equations?

The amount of math you need to do each day to reach the end of differential equations depends on your current level of understanding, the complexity of the equations you are studying, and your personal study habits. It is important to set achievable goals for yourself and consistently work towards them, rather than focusing on a specific amount of math per day.

2. Is there a specific study schedule I should follow to reach the end of differential equations?

While there is no one-size-fits-all study schedule for reaching the end of differential equations, it is important to have a structured approach to your studies. This may include breaking down the material into smaller chunks, setting aside dedicated study time each day, and seeking help or clarification when needed.

3. What are some strategies for understanding difficult concepts in differential equations?

Some strategies for understanding difficult concepts in differential equations include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, practicing with similar problems, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and using online resources or textbooks for additional explanations and examples.

4. Can I use a calculator for differential equations?

While some basic calculators may be helpful for solving simple equations, it is important to have a strong understanding of the concepts and underlying principles of differential equations. As you progress to more complex equations, a calculator may not be sufficient and it is important to be able to solve problems manually.

5. How can I apply differential equations to real-world problems?

Differential equations are used in a variety of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. To apply differential equations to real-world problems, it is important to have a solid understanding of the concepts and be able to model the problem mathematically. Practice with different types of problems and seek out examples in your field of interest to improve your application skills.