Induction with waveguide walls

In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a finite parallel plate waveguide with PEC and PMC walls, and the behavior of a TE wave propagating through it. It is determined that there can be no induction with the PMC walls due to the magnetic field being 0 along the surface. The conversation also considers the possibility of inducing effects with an internal structure, such as a slanted wire loop, and further calculations and advice are sought for this scenario.
randomafk
This is a question I've been trying to figure out. I'll try my best to formulate it, so apologies if it's a bit ill defined!

Suppose you construct a finite parallel plate waveguide of PEC(perfect electrical conductors) and PMC(perfect magnetic conductors) so that the top/bottom plates are PEC, and the left/right are PMC. For instance, something like this but instead of air on the sides, it's a PMC so H = 0.
http://cc.ee.ntu.edu.tw/~jfkiang/electromagnetic%20wave/demonstrations/demo_11/fig.bmp

1) Then what happens if you propagate a TE wave? More specifically, will there be any sort of induction with the walls?
2) If not, could you construct some internal structure in the waveguide which couples to the walls of it?

This is what I have for 1) so far:

There can't be any induction with the PMC walls, because along the surface of the PMC, the magnetic field is 0 in all directions.

We have then have BC's that:
[itex]\vec{E}(x=0) = \vec{E}(x=d) = \vec{0}[/itex]

And then from maxwell's equations, the induced surface current is:
[itex]J_s = \pm \hat{x} \times \vec{H} = \pm (\hat{y} H_z - \hat{z} H_y)[/itex]

I'm a bit rusty on how to calculate any sort of behaviors here via induction onwards.

I'm guessing that since this is TE, H only has y and z components. Therefore, there is no induced electric field since the magnetic flux from one plate to another is 0. That would therefore imply, to produce inductive effects with some internal structure (2), we could construct a wire loop slanted at 45°

Physics news on Phys.org
, so that the E and H fields both have components along the x axis. Is this correct? Any advice/corrections would be greatly appreciated!

What is Induction with Waveguide Walls?

Induction with waveguide walls is a method of transferring electrical energy wirelessly using a waveguide, which is a structure that guides electromagnetic waves. This allows for efficient and controlled transmission of energy between two points.

How does Induction with Waveguide Walls work?

In induction with waveguide walls, an alternating current (AC) is passed through a coil located at one end of the waveguide. This creates an electromagnetic field that travels through the waveguide to the other end, where a receiving coil captures the energy and converts it back into AC.

What are the benefits of using Induction with Waveguide Walls?

One of the main benefits of induction with waveguide walls is its ability to transfer energy over long distances without the need for physical contact. This makes it ideal for powering devices in hard-to-reach places or in hazardous environments.

What are some real-world applications of Induction with Waveguide Walls?

Induction with waveguide walls is commonly used in wireless charging systems for electronic devices such as smartphones and electric toothbrushes. It is also used in certain medical devices, such as pacemakers, to power and recharge them without the need for invasive procedures.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to Induction with Waveguide Walls?

One limitation of induction with waveguide walls is that the efficiency of energy transfer decreases with distance. Additionally, the waveguide must be carefully designed and constructed to minimize losses and maintain efficiency. There are also safety concerns regarding potential interference with other electronic devices.