How to Determine the Refractive Index of Glass Using Polarized Light?

In summary, the problem involves unpolarized light falling on a plan glass surface at an angle of 37.5 °. The reflected light polarization is examined with a Polaroid, and the ratio between maximum and minimum intensity from Polaroid when it is rotated around is 4.0. The goal is to find the refractive index of the glass. The student has attempted to use the Fresnel equations and Malus' law, but has encountered difficulties. They have also mentioned using the incident and reflected angles to calculate the refractive index of the glass, but have not provided further details on their working.
fkf

Homework Statement

Unpolarized light falls on an angle of 37.5 ° with a plan glass surface. The reflected light polarization is examined with a Polaroid. The ratio between maximum and minimum intensity from Polaroid when it is rotated around is 4.0. Which is the refractive of index glass?

Homework Equations

I have the Fresnel equations, and the snells law as well. I've also been thinking about malus law.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresnel_equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since we are given the relationship between max and min intensity with the Polaroid I was thinking that max is when the slit is straight in the direction were the parallel reflected waves go. And min when the Polaroid is in an angle were it let's the perpendicular waves to the incline plane goes. Then it would give a relationship between the parallel and perpendicular reflected waves that are 4.0.

And by this I would try to use the Fresnel equations to solve the refracted angle. And since I'm having the incident angle, refractive index for air and now the refracted angle I would solve the refraction index for glass.

But this somehow doesn't work out. English is not my native language but hopefully you understand me. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pls post the details of your working.

haruspex said:
Pls post the details of your working.

Ok, I will refer to "i" as incident and "r" as reflected. And then "p" as parallel to the incline plane and "s" perpendicular.

Since we have that the max and min intensity has a ratio of 4.0, we have max when the Polaroid slit is 0 degrees from the wave inte the p direction, and min when it's in the s direction. We then have

I_rp / I_rs = 4.0

Since it's unpolarized we also have that I_ip = I _is.

Then I get stucked.

In your first post you wrote that you had tried to apply the Fresnel equations but "it didn't work out". That's the working I was wanting to see. Can you work out the angle of the transmitted light? Can you then work out the reflectances for the two polarisations?

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few things that need to be addressed. First, let's review the concept of polarization by reflection. When unpolarized light is incident on a surface at an angle, the reflected light will be partially polarized in the plane of incidence. This means that the electric field of the reflected light will be oscillating in a specific direction. The degree of polarization depends on the angle of incidence and the refractive index of the material.

In this problem, we are given the angle of incidence (37.5°) and the ratio of maximum to minimum intensity (4.0). To solve for the refractive index of the glass, we need to use the Fresnel equations. These equations describe the relationship between the incident, reflected, and transmitted electric fields at an interface between two materials.

To apply the Fresnel equations, we first need to determine the angle of reflection. This can be done using Snell's law, which relates the angle of incidence to the angle of refraction. Once we have the angle of reflection, we can use the Fresnel equations to calculate the ratio of maximum to minimum intensity. This can then be compared to the given ratio to solve for the refractive index of the glass.

In summary, your approach is correct, but you need to use Snell's law to determine the angle of reflection and then apply the Fresnel equations to calculate the ratio of maximum to minimum intensity. From there, you can solve for the refractive index of the glass.

What is polarization by reflection?

Polarization by reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when light is reflected off a surface and becomes polarized, meaning that its electric field oscillates in only one direction.

How does polarization by reflection happen?

When light strikes a surface, it is partially absorbed and partially reflected. The reflected light becomes polarized when the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection, and the electric field of the reflected light is perpendicular to the surface.

What are some examples of polarization by reflection?

One common example of polarization by reflection is the glare on a lake or other body of water. The light reflected off the surface of the water becomes polarized, causing the glare that can be seen from certain angles. Another example is polarized sunglasses, which use this phenomenon to reduce glare and improve visibility.

Why is polarization by reflection important?

The polarization of light by reflection has practical applications in various industries, such as photography, cinematography, and optics. It also has implications in physics and the study of light and its properties.

Can polarization by reflection be controlled?

Yes, the angle of incidence and the properties of the reflecting surface can be manipulated to control the degree and direction of polarization. This can be useful in creating specific lighting effects or reducing unwanted glare.