Mastering the Art of Proofs: Tips for Struggling Learners

In summary, for someone looking to improve their ability to do math proofs, it is important to consider all possibilities and have a general approach. This can be done by reading and understanding common proofs and practicing with simple proofs. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of definitions and to read resources on how to write proofs.
462chevelle
Gold Member
does anyone have any tips on learning how to do proofs. completing a proof isn't something I am good at, at all. I know how to get answers and I can do the math but explaining it to someone step by step, using the right communication. Seems like a foreign language to me. any tips on learning what ways to approach a proof?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are several factors. One is considering possibilities. A proof must be general so it must work for all possibilities not just some. You need to know several general approaches like contradiction, contrapositive, induction, direct and so forth. Several things you will want to do is read some common proofs like there are infinite primes and sqrt(2) is irrational and try to understand why the proof works and how someone would come up with it. Practice proving simple things like e^x is not a polynomial and the square of an even number is even.

the square of an even number is even.
the way I would prove that.
because an even number times an even number equals an even number.
sounds terrible I know..

462chevelle said:
Why?
462chevelle said:
sounds terrible I know..
Any even number n can be written in the form n = 2k, for some integer k. (An odd number can be written in the form 2m + 1.)

What do you get when you square 2k? Can you convince yourself that the result is also even?

There are a couple of books that might be helpful to you: The Nuts and Bolts of Proofs, and How to Read and Write Proofs. You should be able to do a web search on those titles and come up with the authors and other info.

I read them both :smile:

Eddybob123: Did they work? Are you now comfortable with writing proofs? And can you understand other proofs that you read?

462chevelle said:
sounds terrible I know..

That's not a proof at all, it's an assertion.

If you set out to prove that the square of an even number is an even number, you start from what an even number is, and what a square is, and show that it is even.

You can't assume that an even number times an even number is an even number, because you are assuming what you are trying to prove in the guise of a slightly more general statement.

you're right. that is where my language barrier suffers.

One of the things one needs to learn about matheatics is that mathmatical definitions are "working definitions". That is, you can use the precise words of the definitions in problems or proofs.

If I were asked to prove that "the product of two even numbers is an even number", the first thing I would think about is the definition of "even number".

So- do you know what an even number is? What is the definition of an even number?

(Saying that "2, 4, 6 are even numbers" or "even numbers are numbers like 2, 4, 6" are NOT definitions.)

would you care to define an even number for me?

462chevelle said:
would you care to define an even number for me?
It is a number which can be factored as ##2n##, where ##n## is an integer.

1. What is the importance of mastering the art of proofs?

The skill of writing proofs is essential for any mathematician or scientist. It allows us to logically and rigorously prove the validity of our hypotheses, theories, and conclusions. Mastering the art of proofs also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. What are some common challenges that learners face when learning how to write proofs?

Many learners struggle with identifying the correct approach to solving a proof, organizing their thoughts and steps, and clearly communicating their reasoning. Other challenges include understanding the definitions and axioms involved, and using the proper notation and terminology.

3. How can struggling learners improve their skills in writing proofs?

Practice is key to improving in any skill, and the same applies to writing proofs. Struggling learners should start with simpler proofs and gradually move on to more complex ones. They should also seek help from teachers or peers, review solved examples, and actively engage in discussions and problem-solving sessions.

4. What are some tips for effectively writing proofs?

Firstly, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem and any given information. Then, choose an appropriate proof method and clearly state the given, to be proven, and any intermediate statements. Use proper notation, logical reasoning, and concise language. Finally, review and revise the proof for clarity and accuracy.

5. Are there any common mistakes that learners should avoid when writing proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid include omitting steps or making logical leaps, using incorrect notation or terminology, and using circular reasoning. Learners should also be cautious of assuming what they are trying to prove, or confusing necessary and sufficient conditions. Additionally, it is important to check for typos or miscalculations before finalizing the proof.