A good Robotics project for an Engineering Physics undergrad

In summary, the person is looking for a robotics project that has a strong connection to physics to satisfy their Engineering Physics colleagues. They mention ideas such as electroactive polymers, fiber optic sensors, and electromagnetic levitation. They also mention participating in robotics competitions through organizations like FIRST Robotics and IEEE.
coolgvj
I've beeen searching over and over the internet to figure out what would be a good robotics project, but with a strong relation with physics. Please don't argue that everything in the universe is physics, i agree absolutely, but my colleagues in Engineering Physics are doing projects related to nanotech, quantum mech, photonics and all those super-named areas you usually come across.
But since I want to pursue robotics, I want my project to be basically in robo, while satisfying my physics profs as well, :/

If any of you have some good ideas, please help me.. For a start, these were some of the areas i considered : Electroactive polymers for artificial muscles, sensors based on fiber optics, haptics using electromagnetic levitation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you have experience doing already in robotics and what do your physics profs require?

Hello, if you can find a College First Robotics program in your area, you may be able to participate with the help of your local faculty: http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc

coolgvj said:
I've beeen searching over and over the internet to figure out what would be a good robotics project, but with a strong relation with physics. Please don't argue that everything in the universe is physics, i agree absolutely, but my colleagues in Engineering Physics are doing projects related to nanotech, quantum mech, photonics and all those super-named areas you usually come across.
But since I want to pursue robotics, I want my project to be basically in robo, while satisfying my physics profs as well, :/

If any of you have some good ideas, please help me.. For a start, these were some of the areas i considered : Electroactive polymers for artificial muscles, sensors based on fiber optics, haptics using electromagnetic levitation.

http://aggregate.org/southeastcon2014/

Try IEEE competitions.

We finished 15th out of 53 schools.

As a scientist with a background in engineering and physics, I can understand your desire to find a robotics project that combines both of your interests. Robotics is a field that encompasses many different areas of science and engineering, so there are certainly ways to incorporate physics into your project.

One idea could be to explore the use of machine learning algorithms in robotics. This would involve studying the physics of motion and control, as well as the principles of artificial intelligence and data analysis. You could develop a robot that uses machine learning to adapt and improve its movements, making it more efficient and precise.

Another option could be to focus on the design and development of a robotic arm or hand. This would involve understanding the mechanics of movement and how to replicate it in a robot, as well as studying the materials and structures that would be needed to create a functional and dexterous robotic limb.

You could also consider incorporating concepts from electromagnetism into your robotics project. For example, you could design a robot that uses magnetic levitation for movement, or explore the use of electromagnetic sensors for navigation and obstacle avoidance.

Overall, the key is to find a project that interests you and allows you to apply your knowledge of physics to the field of robotics. With some creativity and research, I am confident that you will be able to come up with a project that satisfies both your interests and your professors' expectations. Good luck!

1. What is a good robotics project for an Engineering Physics undergrad?

A good robotics project for an Engineering Physics undergrad would be one that combines the principles of physics and engineering in the design, construction, and programming of a robot. This could include projects such as building a self-driving car, creating a robotic arm with precise movements, or developing a robot that can navigate and map its surroundings.

2. What skills would an Engineering Physics undergrad need for a robotics project?

An Engineering Physics undergrad would need skills such as knowledge of mechanics, electronics, programming, and control systems. They should also have strong problem-solving abilities, critical thinking skills, and the ability to work in a team.

3. How long does it take to complete a robotics project for an Engineering Physics undergrad?

The duration of a robotics project for an Engineering Physics undergrad can vary depending on the complexity of the project and the resources available. It could take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to complete a robotics project.

4. What are the benefits of completing a robotics project as an Engineering Physics undergrad?

Completing a robotics project as an Engineering Physics undergrad can provide numerous benefits, such as developing practical skills in engineering and programming, gaining hands-on experience in project management, and enhancing problem-solving abilities. It can also be an excellent addition to a resume and can open up career opportunities in the field of robotics.

5. Are there any resources available for an Engineering Physics undergrad to learn about robotics?

Yes, there are various resources available for an Engineering Physics undergrad to learn about robotics. These include online courses, textbooks, workshops, and tutorials. Universities also often offer courses and labs specifically focused on robotics for engineering physics students.