Exploring General Relativity: Tensor Basics & Maths

In summary, General relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein that describes how gravity works on a large scale. Tensors are mathematical objects used in general relativity to describe the relationship between space, time, and matter. They are important for understanding the complex relationships at the core of Einstein's theory and making predictions about the behavior of objects in different gravitational fields. While a strong background in mathematics is helpful, it is not necessary to understand the basic principles of general relativity.
FeynmanMH42
I know very little about General Relativity, I don't know what a tensor is
and don't know any of the mathematics involved (even though I know
pretty much all of the equations in Special Relativity.)
Could someone please explain tensors to me, or point me to a link that does?
And where can I go to find a mathematical explanation of GR?

Physics news on Phys.org

Tensors are a fundamental concept in the theory of General Relativity and are used to describe the curvature of space and time. In simple terms, a tensor is a mathematical object that represents the relationship between different quantities in a multidimensional space. It has both magnitude and direction, similar to a vector, but can have multiple components and can represent more complex relationships.

To understand tensors, it may be helpful to think of them as a tool that allows us to describe how space and time are curved and how objects move in this curved space. In General Relativity, the presence of matter and energy causes space and time to curve, and tensors help us quantify this curvature.

As for learning more about the mathematics of General Relativity, there are many online resources available. Some good places to start would be online lectures and courses from universities or physics institutes, such as MIT OpenCourseWare or the Perimeter Institute. There are also many textbooks and online tutorials that can provide a more in-depth mathematical explanation of General Relativity.

Overall, learning about tensors and the mathematics of General Relativity may seem daunting at first, but with patience and dedication, you can gain a better understanding of this fascinating theory.

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how the force of gravity works on a large scale, such as in the universe, and is based on the idea that gravity is not a force between masses, but rather a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. What are tensors?

Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the relationship between different geometric quantities. In general relativity, tensors are used to describe the curvature of space and time and how it is influenced by matter and energy.

3. Why is tensor mathematics important in general relativity?

Tensor mathematics is important in general relativity because it allows us to describe the complex relationships between space, time, and matter that are at the core of Einstein's theory. Tensors help us understand how gravity works and make predictions about the behavior of objects in the presence of massive bodies.

4. How do you use tensors in general relativity?

In general relativity, tensors are used to formulate the equations that describe the relationship between matter and the curvature of space and time. They are also used to solve these equations and make predictions about the behavior of objects in different gravitational fields.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand general relativity?

While a strong background in mathematics is certainly helpful in understanding the intricacies of general relativity, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of tensor mathematics to grasp the basic principles of the theory. Many simplified explanations and visual aids are available to help explain the concepts of general relativity to a wider audience.