How much fresh water can a nuclear power plant produce through desalination?

In summary, the world's largest desalination plant is in Saudi Arabia, and it produces 128 MGD of water.
scrith11
Of the more than 7,500 desalination plants in operation worldwide, 60% are located in the Middle East. The world's largest plant in Saudi Arabia produces 128 MGD of desalted water. In contrast, 12% of the world's capacity is produced in the Americas, with most of the plants located in the Caribbean and Florida.

http://www.coastal.ca.gov/desalrpt/dchap1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes, the Middle East does have some fresh water problems and SA is so wealthy, they were able to construct those plants.

Apparently one of the desalination plants in the bay area in Florida never really got up and running at full capacity. It has passed hands through several companies so far, and it doesn't look like it has been too profitable.

Florida gets fairly regular rainy seasons though (with the occasional drought like any geographical location) and I see more of a legitimate need for such facilities in areas such as California, Nevada, Arizona, or New Mexico, where water is already scarce.

Up here in Canada we have so much fresh water that we haven't even heard the phrase "desalanation plant". I don't even know how they work.

Well when it comes to treating bodies of water to produce drinkable water, we can classify water according to their treatment in 5 groups. The desalination process will be in the fift group for special treatments of water. This is a special process because it usually doesn't only require the conventional filtration treatment, or other before and/or after alternatively treatment because of the contamination.

The desalination process of sea water or brackish water has basicly 4 main treatments which are:

Distillation: Basicly filtrate the salts out of the water.

Solar Evaporation: The seawater goes throught compartments of shallow depth which are covered by crystals or plastic materials. The lack of moist of the salts which condenses on the deck is picked up by small canals.

Freezing: Basicly the temperature of seawater is lowered til it forms ice crystals. These are free of salts, but must go throught cleaning processes with fresh water.

Electrodialysis: This is an electrochemical process which eliminates the ions of the crystalloids of the water, possible because of diffusion throught a colloidal membrane. This method is mostly used on brackish water.

Last edited:
motai said:
I see more of a legitimate need for such facilities in areas such as California, Nevada, Arizona, or New Mexico, where water is already scarce.

What about groundwater?? It's better in my opinion. Of course as long as it is extracted with responsability. The only problems i see with groundwater is the obvious contamination with seawater because of breaking the Gyben -Hertzberg (spl?) equilibrium and the ground movements. I imagine the groundwater reserves of the USA aren't (at least have less contamination) contaminated by chemical substances or other?

Oh and btw, this should go on general engineering, unless the OP is interested in how the chemical processes of desalination works.

Last edited:
scrith11:

The unit MGD, how big is it. To me MGD stands for Miller Genuine Draft.

I was wondering what if a nuclear power plant (e.g., 1.2 Gw) were dedicated to operation of a desalination plant, how much fresh water could be produced?

1. What is a water desalination plant?

A water desalination plant is a facility that removes salt and other minerals from seawater or brackish water, making it suitable for human consumption or other uses. This process is known as desalination.

2. How does a water desalination plant work?

The most common method of desalination is through a process called reverse osmosis. In this process, seawater is pushed through a semipermeable membrane, which allows water molecules to pass through while trapping salt and other impurities. The resulting freshwater is then collected for use.

3. Why are water desalination plants important?

Water desalination plants are important because they provide a source of freshwater in areas where it may be scarce. They can also help alleviate water shortages during times of drought or when there is an increased demand for water due to population growth. Desalination can also provide a source of clean drinking water in areas where the local water supply is contaminated.

4. What are the benefits of using water desalination plants?

The main benefit of using water desalination plants is the production of clean drinking water. It also reduces the reliance on traditional sources of freshwater, such as rivers and lakes, which may be affected by pollution or climate change. Desalination can also provide a more sustainable source of water in coastal areas where there is a high demand for freshwater.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using water desalination plants?

One of the main drawbacks of using water desalination plants is the high energy consumption and cost associated with the process. Desalination also produces a concentrated brine solution, which can be harmful to marine life if not properly disposed of. Additionally, the construction and operation of desalination plants can have negative impacts on the environment, such as disrupting marine ecosystems and contributing to greenhouse gas emissions.