Improving Your Analysis Skills: Tips and Resources for Self-Study

• Thread starter Pseudo Statistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the conversation is about the struggle to improve in analysis and finding resources or advice to better understand the subject. The conversation includes personal experiences, tips, and the importance of understanding the fundamentals before moving on to more advanced topics. The goal is to understand multivariable calculus and a recommendation for analysis textbooks is requested.
Pseudo Statistic
Getting "better" at analysis

I didn't know where to put this exactly...
I've been stuck somewhere in calculus... I mean...
I've been trying to advance, but recently I haven't been enjoying it as much-- mainly because I guess I don't truly understand the content; it seems as if I'm looking for a short explanation and a bunch of formulas/methods to remember.
I'm not much of a proof guy or an analysis guy... so I guess that's the main contributing part to my problem. (I don't even know the epsilon-delta stuff!)
So, I was curious, can anyone point me to some resource, free online book, or even textbook (not to expensive) for trying to go from plug-and-chug math to analysis?
Or does anyone have any specific advice that might help me?
Thanks a bunch.

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't made it clear what is your current situation and what are your exact goals.

I've been stuck somewhere in calculus...
where?

I don't even know the epsilon-delta stuff!
Are you supposed to?

So, I was curious, can anyone point me to some resource, free online book, or even textbook (not to expensive) for trying to go from plug-and-chug math to analysis?

I haven't heard of a smooth road. You just got to take an analysis textbook and go over the material step by step. and that means not read the second chapter before you understand the first.

Pseudo Statistic said:
I didn't know where to put this exactly...
I've been stuck somewhere in calculus... I mean...
I've been trying to advance, but recently I haven't been enjoying it as much-- mainly because I guess I don't truly understand the content; it seems as if I'm looking for a short explanation and a bunch of formulas/methods to remember.
I'm not much of a proof guy or an analysis guy... so I guess that's the main contributing part to my problem. (I don't even know the epsilon-delta stuff!)
Or does anyone have any specific advice that might help me?
Thanks a bunch.

I know what you mean, I'm a high school junior now, but I took AP Calc last year so I've been taking classes at the loacl university since, I'm taking complex analysis now and when we learned limits with complex numbers it was the first time I ever had to use the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, and because they don't teach it in the high school calculus classes it was the first time I'd ever have to use it, it was hard but after going and asking the teacher about it I think I understand it now. As for analysis I'm in somewhat the same situation as you I;m trying to find a fairly readble analysis textbook to teach myself a bit from, but all the one's I've seen seem to be too far above my current knowledge, but I guess the only option is to just pick a book and go over the material until it makes sense and if doesn't then you could always ask here or one of your math teachers...

d_leet said:
I know what you mean, I'm a high school junior now, but I took AP Calc last year so I've been taking classes at the loacl university since, I'm taking complex analysis now and when we learned limits with complex numbers it was the first time I ever had to use the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, and because they don't teach it in the high school calculus classes it was the first time I'd ever have to use it, it was hard but after going and asking the teacher about it I think I understand it now. As for analysis I'm in somewhat the same situation as you I;m trying to find a fairly readble analysis textbook to teach myself a bit from, but all the one's I've seen seem to be too far above my current knowledge, but I guess the only option is to just pick a book and go over the material until it makes sense and if doesn't then you could always ask here or one of your math teachers...

I found that for the epsilon-delta limit definition limit that it is better to work backwards and not forward.

It's like backward logic. You probably know this already, but when I was told about this, it made it easier to solve for some cases.

JasonRox said:
I found that for the epsilon-delta limit definition limit that it is better to work backwards and not forward.

It's like backward logic. You probably know this already, but when I was told about this, it made it easier to solve for some cases.

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean? Do you mean having a good knowledge of calculus and how it works before you learn the epsilon-delta definition?

Here's a thread where I explain thoroughly the definition of limit and work out a specific exemple in some details. I should have also included a picture illustrating the geometrical representation of epsilon-delta convergence as it greatly helps grasping the how and why of epsilon-delta.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=54175&highlight=limit

d_leet said:
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean? Do you mean having a good knowledge of calculus and how it works before you learn the epsilon-delta definition?

I meant proofs regarding the epsilon-delta definition.

quasar987 said:
You haven't made it clear what is your current situation and what are your exact goals.

where?

Are you supposed to?

I haven't heard of a smooth road. You just got to take an analysis textbook and go over the material step by step. and that means not read the second chapter before you understand the first.
Well, my exact goal is to get myself up to understanding multivariable calculus.
At the moment I'm stuck somewhere inbetween integral & differential calculus and multi-var calculus, but as I said I don't really understand the stuff much with my lack of background... I mean, I know the techniques and such, but I can't prove things...
Can you recommend any analysis textbooks in particular? I'm looking for something not TOO costly.

d_leet said:
True... after looking around the forum a bit I found "Zakon's Mathematical Analysis I".
It looks good... but the only problem is the set theory stuff is confusing the crap out of me. :\ It's hard to remember what symbol means what.
By the way, you don't know how lucky you are that you had the chance to take an AP Calculus class and take courses at a university.

Here's a thread where I explain thoroughly the definition of limit and work out a specific exemple in some details. I should have also included a picture illustrating the geometrical representation of epsilon-delta convergence as it greatly helps grasping the how and why of epsilon-delta.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...ighlight=limit
Hey, thanks... I'm sure this'll help. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
For an excellent introduction to elementary analysis, I would suggest https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521288827/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by K. G. Binmore. The author provides numerous examples, his proofs are clear and answers to ALL problems are in the back of the book. It is thus a great choice for self-study. You can get it used on Amazon for about $15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zakon's not too bad. It does take awhile though, especially if it's your first time with some of the notation. I haven't read the Binmore text. It sounds like it could be a good supplement for self study while taking Calculus.

1. How can I improve my analytical skills?

To improve your analytical skills, it is important to practice critical thinking and problem-solving. This can be done by actively seeking out challenging problems and exercises, breaking them down into smaller parts, and analyzing each part individually. Additionally, reading and researching on different topics can also help improve your analytical thinking abilities.

2. What techniques can I use to enhance my analysis?

There are various techniques that can help enhance your analysis. These include brainstorming, mind mapping, SWOT analysis, and data visualization. These techniques can help you organize your thoughts and ideas, identify patterns and connections, and present your findings in a structured and coherent manner.

3. How can I become more objective in my analysis?

To become more objective in your analysis, it is important to approach the problem or topic with an open mind and avoid personal biases. This can be achieved by considering different perspectives and gathering evidence from various sources. It is also helpful to regularly evaluate your own thought process and assumptions to ensure that they are not influencing your analysis.

4. Is there a specific process for conducting analysis?

While there is no one definitive process for conducting analysis, there are some general steps that can be followed. These include defining the problem, gathering relevant data and information, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions. It is also important to communicate your findings clearly and effectively.

5. How can I apply my analytical skills in everyday life?

Analytical skills can be applied in various aspects of everyday life, such as decision-making, problem-solving, and critical thinking. For example, you can use your analytical skills to make informed choices when shopping or planning your schedule. Additionally, you can use these skills to analyze and interpret information from news sources or social media. Practicing and utilizing your analytical skills regularly can help improve them over time.