Proof of n^m - n Divisible by m for Positive Integers

• Thread starter JasonJo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem posed by the teacher on an exam, where the goal is to prove that if n and m are positive integers, then n^m - n is divisible by m. Various approaches were tried, including using modular arithmetic and breaking it into cases, but none were successful. The person asking for help is wondering if there is a mistake in the problem or if it is related to Fermat's little theorem.
JasonJo
My teacher posed this as an extra credit problem on an exam, i couldn't quite prove it. I'm wondering if you guys could help me, i would really like to see the proof even though i already took the exam:

Prove that if n and m are positive integers, then n^m - n is divisible by m.

I took a few approaches:

I tried to pose the problem in mod m. so if n^m - n is divisible by m, then it'll be congruent to 0 mod m. so then i tried to induction on n, but i got stuck on the (k+1)^m expansion. I don't believe this is the correct way.

Another way I tried was to break it up into cases:
Case #1: m|n, then it must divide n^m - n
Case #2: m does not divide n. so then n = mq + r, where r is greater than zero and less than q. then I'm still stuck with a binomial expansion.

any help guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's wrong as you've stated it. For example, 6 does not divide 2^6-2=62. But it looks similar to Fermat's little theorem, and you might get something valid if you changed some of the conditions on n and m.

1. What is "Proof of n^m - n Divisible by m for Positive Integers"?

"Proof of n^m - n Divisible by m for Positive Integers" is a mathematical concept that states that for any positive integers n and m, the expression n^m - n will always be divisible by m.

2. Why is this concept important?

This concept is important because it has many real-world applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. It also plays a crucial role in number theory and can help in solving various mathematical problems.

3. How can this concept be proven?

This concept can be proven using mathematical induction, which is a method of mathematical proof that involves proving a statement for a specific case and then showing that it holds true for the next case. By continuing this process, the statement can be proven for all positive integers n and m.

4. Can you provide an example of this concept in action?

One example of this concept in action is the use of modular arithmetic in computer science. In modular arithmetic, we use the remainder of a division to perform calculations. For example, if we have 7 apples and want to distribute them equally among 3 friends, we can use modular arithmetic to find that each friend will receive 2 apples, with 1 apple remaining. This remaining apple is the remainder of 7 divided by 3, and it follows the concept of n^m - n being divisible by m.

5. Are there any exceptions to this concept?

Yes, there are exceptions to this concept. One exception is when m is equal to 1. In this case, any value of n will satisfy the statement, but the concept does not hold true for all positive integers as n^m - n is always equal to 0. Another exception is when n is equal to 0, as any value of m will make the statement true. However, this exception is often not considered as 0 is not a positive integer.