Find the Induced EMF in a Rotating Spherical Shell in a Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of induced emf in a square loop of wire in a non-uniform time-dependent magnetic field and the emf developed between the "north pole" and the equator in a perfectly conducting spherical shell rotating in a uniform magnetic field. The summary also includes the correct equations and methods used to find the emf in both cases.
Reshma
1] A square loop of wire, with sides of length 'a' lies in the first quadrant of the xy-plane, with one corner at the origin. In this region there is a non-uniform time-dependent magnetic field [itex]\vec B (y,t) = ky^3t^2\hat z[/itex]. Find the induced emf in the loop.I applied the flux rule here.

[tex]\varepsilon = -{d\Phi \over dt} = -{d(\vec B \cdot \vec A) \over dt} = {d(Ba^2) \over dt} = -a^2\left({d(ky^3t^2)\over dt}\right)[/tex]

Am I going right here?

2] A perfectly conducting spherical shell of radius 'a' rotates about the z-axis with angular velocity [itex]\omega[/itex] in a uniform magnetic field [itex]\vec B = B_0\hat z[/itex]. Calculate the emf developed between the "north pole" and the equator.

I evaluted the flux here:
[tex]\Phi = \vec B \cdot \vec A = B_0\left(4\pi a^2\right)[/tex]

But the answer given here is: [tex]{1\over 2}B_0\omega a^2[/tex]

How do I incorporate [itex]\omega[/itex] in my flux?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) What is [itex]\vec A[/itex]? From your equation, I think you mean it to be the vector area of the surface. You have to be careful, since the field is not uniform, it depends strongly on y. So the flux through the square is not simply the product of B and the area A. You have to integrate over the surface to find the flux at a certain instant of time:

[tex]\Phi(t)=\int \limits_{\square}\vec B \cdot d\vec a[/itex].
Then find [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] by taking the time-derivative.

ONLY when [itex]\vec B[/itex] does not depend on position can you remove it from the integral and then:
[tex]\Phi=\int \vec B \cdot d\vec a=\vec B \cdot \int d\vec a=\vec B \cdot \vec A[/tex]

2) This problem is a bit different. You have a conducting surface rotating a magnetic field, so there is a magnetic force acting on each surface element, given by the Lorentz force law. The integral of this force per unit charge gives the emf.

Thank you very much for your reply :smile:.
Galileo said:
1) What is [itex]\vec A[/itex]? From your equation, I think you mean it to be the vector area of the surface. You have to be careful, since the field is not uniform, it depends strongly on y. So the flux through the square is not simply the product of B and the area A. You have to integrate over the surface to find the flux at a certain instant of time:
Yes, I should have been more careful (since [itex]\vec A[/itex] could also mean the magnetic potential.)
[tex]\Phi(t)=\int \limits_{\square}\vec B \cdot d\vec a[/itex].
Then find [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] by taking the time-derivative.
ONLY when [itex]\vec B[/itex] does not depend on position can you remove it from the integral and then:
[tex]\Phi=\int \vec B \cdot d\vec a=\vec B \cdot \int d\vec a=\vec B \cdot \vec A[/tex]
OK, so the flux will be:
[tex]\Phi = k\int_0^a \int_0^a y^3t^2 dxdy[/tex]

[tex]\Phi (t) = k{a^5\over 4}t^2[/tex]

So, the emf will be:
[tex]\varepsilon = -2k{a^5\over 4}t[/tex]

Is my evaluation correct?

Galileo said:
2) This problem is a bit different. You have a conducting surface rotating a magnetic field, so there is a magnetic force acting on each surface element, given by the Lorentz force law. The integral of this force per unit charge gives the emf.

Lorentz force? You mean:
[tex]\vec F_{mag} = \int(\vec v \times \vec B)\sigma d\vec a[/tex]

So, I take the force per unit charge as [itex]\vec f[/itex] & [itex]\vec v = \omega r[/itex]
So the emf will be:
[tex]\varepsilon = -{d\Phi \over dt} = \oint \vec f \cdot d\vec l = \int_0^a B_0\omega rdr = B_0\omega {a^2\over 2}[/tex]

Yippee, I hope it is correct.

Last edited:
1) Looks good.
2) [itex]\vec f \times \vec v=\omega rB_0 \hat r[/itex] is correct, but note that the direction is pointing away from the axis of rotation and that r is the distance from this axis (cylindrical coordinates as opposed to spherical).

Anyways, both answers look correct :smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating the induced EMF in a rotating spherical shell in a magnetic field?

The formula for calculating the induced EMF in a rotating spherical shell in a magnetic field is: EMF = -N (dΦB/dt), where N is the number of turns in the spherical shell, dΦB/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the shell, and the negative sign indicates the direction of the induced current.

2. How does the magnetic field affect the induced EMF in a rotating spherical shell?

The induced EMF in a rotating spherical shell is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. As the magnetic field increases, so does the induced EMF. Additionally, the direction of the magnetic field relative to the direction of rotation of the spherical shell will also affect the magnitude and direction of the induced EMF.

3. What factors can affect the induced EMF in a rotating spherical shell?

The induced EMF in a rotating spherical shell can be affected by several factors, including the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation of the shell, and the number of turns in the shell. Additionally, any changes in these factors over time will also affect the induced EMF.

4. How is the induced EMF in a rotating spherical shell related to Faraday's Law of Induction?

Faraday's Law of Induction states that the magnitude of the induced EMF is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through a surface. In the case of a rotating spherical shell in a magnetic field, the induced EMF is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the shell. This relationship is represented by the formula: EMF = -N (dΦB/dt).

5. Can the induced EMF in a rotating spherical shell be used to generate electricity?

Yes, the induced EMF in a rotating spherical shell can be used to generate electricity. This principle is used in devices such as generators and alternators, where the rotation of a coil in a magnetic field produces an induced EMF that can be harnessed to generate electricity.