Understanding the Union of Countable Sets in Real Functions

• Thread starter Castilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets Union
In summary: Sorry, perhaps my English is not good.Thanks for your help.In summary, the conversation is about a theorem regarding monotonic functions and their differentiability. The theorem states that if a function f is monotonic, then it is differentiable almost everywhere. The conversation discusses the proof of this theorem, specifically a part where Boas talks about the set where f+(x) > f-(x) and how it is contained in the union of countably many sets of measure zero. Boas assumes the fact that there are only countable many pairs of rational numbers to explain this, but the person in the conversation is confused about why this is true. They also mention that the proof in their textbook uses the Chebyshev
Castilla
Please help me with this.

Let be two functions of x, B(x) and A(x).

Boas ("A primer or real functions", p. 137) says:

If A(x) < B(x), there are rational numbers r and R such that A(x) < r < R < B(x) (OK). Since there are only countable many pairs of rational numbers (OK), the set where B(x) > A(x) is contained in the union of countably many sets of measure zero (why?) ...

I know that a set composed by two numbers has measure zero, and I assume that "there are only countable many pairs of rational numbers", but I fail to see why this implies the next statement ("the set where B(x) > A(x) is contained in the union of countably many sets of measure zero").

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Castilla said:
Please help me with this.

Let be two functions of x, B(x) and A(x).

Boas ("A primer or real functions", p. 137) says:

If A(x) < B(x), there are rational numbers r and R such that A(x) < r < R < B(x) (OK). Since there are only countable many pairs of rational numbers (OK), the set where B(x) > A(x) is contained in the union of countably many sets of measure zero (why?) ...

I know that a set composed by two numbers has measure zero, and I assume that "there are only countable many pairs of rational numbers", but I fail to see why this implies the next statement ("the set where B(x) > A(x) is contained in the union of countably many sets of measure zero").

Thanks for your help.
What you've stated is false, and I suspect you just haven't said it in English properly. Let B(x) = 5, A(x) = 3. Then the set where B(x) > A(x) is all of R, which is not in the union of countably many sets of measure zero. Note, a countable union of measure-zero sets is itself a measure-zero set.

Well, the only thing where I tried to simplify Boas paragraph was this:

Instead of B(x) and A(x) Boas puts f+(x) and f-(x), where f+(x) and f-(x) are defined as follows:

f+(x) =

lim sup {f(x+h) - f(x)}/ h
h->0+

f-(x) =

lim inf {f(x+h) - f(x)}/ h
h->0-

Or to put it another way, the only thing you did was fail to tell people that A and B are of a very special type.

Are there any other hypotheses you're missing from f? Like is it piecewise continuouos, continuous, measurable, differentiable...? (If it is differentiable then the set of x where A(x)<B(x) is empty, for instance.)

Sorry.

Function f is monotonic (non decreasing).

Matt, the complete theorem is:

If the function f is monotonic, then it is differentiable almost everyewhere. From the proof of this theorem, which covers two pages of Boas little book, I took the paragraphs of my initial post.

That certainly doesn't clarify your original post!

Your original post said
Do you mean that A and B are functions such that A(x)< B(x) for all x? In that case, it doesn't make sense to talk about "the set where B(x)> A(x)". It that was not what you meant, then what did you mean by "If A(x)< B(x)"? It might help if we knew what A(x) and B(x) are!

Boas says:

Let I be an interval. Let f be a non decreasing function.

The set { x / x belongs to I and f-(x) < f+(x) } has measure zero. "For, if f+(x) > f-(x), there are rational numbers r and R such that f-(x) < r < R < f+(x). Since there are only countable many pairs or rational numbers (I assume this), the set where f+(x) > f-(x) is contained in the union of countably many sets of measure zero (why??) and so is itself of measure zero" (ok).

Castilla said:
Boas says:

Let I be an interval. Let f be a non decreasing function.

The set { x / x belongs to I and f-(x) < f+(x) } has measure zero. "For, if f+(x) > f-(x), there are rational numbers r and R such that f-(x) < r < R < f+(x). Since there are only countable many pairs or rational numbers (I assume this), the set where f+(x) > f-(x) is contained in the union of countably many sets of measure zero (why??) and so is itself of measure zero" (ok).
I guess I now have to ask what you mean by f-(x) and f+(x)!

Please see third post.

Thanks anyway.

Okay, there are two things to see here:

1)

[tex]\{x \in I\ |\ f_+(x) > f_-(x)\} = \bigcup _{(r,R) \in \mathbb{Q}^2}\{x \in I\ |\ f_+(x) > R > r > f_-(x)\}[/tex]

2)

For each pair (r,R) in Q², the set {x in I | f+(x) > R > r > f-(x)} is a zero set (a set of measure zero).

If you're getting stuck with number 1), think about it some more, and keep in mind that if a > b, then there are rationals R and r such that a > R > r > b. For number 2), it's certainly not a trivial fact. My book uses something called the Chebyshev Lemma, as well as the Vitali Covering Lemma to prove it. Does your textbook just assert without any justification? If so, I recommend picking up another textbook.

Castilla said:
"For, if f+(x) > f-(x), there are rational numbers r and R such that f-(x) < r < R < f+(x). Since there are only countable many pairs or rational numbers (I assume this), the set where f+(x) > f-(x) is contained in the union of countably many sets of measure zero (why??) and so is itself of measure zero" (ok).

Those are Boas's words in his book.

Boas assumes that there are only countable many pairs of rational numbers and (it seems so) that statement supports the next one: " (then)the set where f+(x) > f-(x) is contained in the union of countable many sets of measure zero", ... but I fail to see how.

I thought I was clear. Please actually read this post:

1) The number of pairs of rational points is countable. This is just set theory, and is really something you should know if you're doing a real analysis course. The rationals are countable, and any countable Cartesian product of countable sets is itself countable.

2) The set {x in I | f+(x) > f-(x)} is the union of all sets of the form {x in I | f+(x) > R > r > f-(x)} where r and R are rational numbers, i.e. (r,R) is a rational pair. This is an easy fact, and I've already asked you to think about it.

3) Each set {x in I | f+(x) > R > r > f-(x)} is a zero set. This is not a trivial fact. This requires, at least in my book, the Chebyshev Lemma and the Vitali Covering Lemma. I can't believe Boas just stated it like that. My book gives about one full page to prove this fact. I'm not going to tell you why its true, because that would involve restating those lemmas I mentioned. You should be able to look this up yourself. If your textbook really doesn't prove it (are you sure he didn't justify this earlier, or maybe it's in the next paragraph and you just haven't read far enough?), get another book. I have Pugh's Real Mathematical Analysis which I find to be a great book. This theorem you're looking at is given as Lebesgue's Last Theorem.

Anyways, most of what I said was just repeat and unnecessary elaboration of what I've already said. You aren't clear on what exactly you don't understand, so please try to clarify. Also, I doubt this is what was confusing you, but since there are only countably many rational pairs (r,R), there are only countably many sets of the form {x in I | f+(x) > R > r > f-(x)}, and if each of these is a zero set, then:

[tex]\bigcup _{(r,R) \in \mathbb{Q}^2}\{x \in I\ |\ f_+(x) > R > r > f_-(x)\}[/tex]

is clearly a countable union of zero sets. If you understand point 2) above, you'll understand why he says that {x in I | f+(x) > f-(x)} is a countable union of __________ sets. If you understand point 3) above, then you'll understand why that blank __________ was filled in with "measure-zero". According to you, he's given you no way to understand point 3). So is this where you're having problems understanding?

Last edited:
I will review slowly the previous chapters of Boas's book. Thank you AKG for your time and insights.

Castilla.

What is the "Union of countable many sets"?

The Union of countable many sets is a mathematical operation that combines all the elements from multiple sets into a single set. It is denoted by the symbol ∪ and is read as "union".

How is the Union of countable many sets different from the Union of two sets?

The Union of countable many sets is a generalization of the Union of two sets. While the Union of two sets combines the elements from two sets, the Union of countable many sets combines elements from an infinite number of sets.

What is the cardinality of the Union of countable many sets?

The cardinality, or size, of the Union of countable many sets can vary. It can be finite, countably infinite, or uncountably infinite, depending on the number and type of sets being combined.

How is the Union of countable many sets related to other set operations?

The Union of countable many sets is closely related to other set operations such as intersection, difference, and complement. It follows the same basic principles of combining elements from multiple sets, but with different outcomes and properties.

What is the significance of the Union of countable many sets in mathematics?

The Union of countable many sets has many applications in various branches of mathematics, including set theory, topology, and measure theory. It is also used in practical applications, such as data analysis and database management.