What can you expect in the Food Thread on PF?

In summary, a food lover and connoisseur named PF shared their favourite recipes, their kind of cuisine, and favourite dishes. They also shared their experiences dining out and cooking at home. Lastly, they mentioned a food thread that is popular on the website, as well as a recipe that they like.
  • #3,676
dlgoff said:
I just got back from the market and I'm in the process of making a stir-fry. I use lots of vegetables, some of which are zucchinis, but for some reason they were out of them. So I bought some Brussels instead. I wonder how it's going to turn out.

Well I'm working on my microbrewery growler while it's cooking, so it will probably taste fine by the time I'm done with the beer.

If you like brussel's sprouts, then you're using a great method to cook them: high heat for a short time makes sweet sprouts without the sulphur bomb effect. :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #3,677
smoothie12 said:
This is my recipe. A healthy treat that is recommendable for almost everyone. Diabetics need not restrain themselves from this recipe. Just dig in and enjoy!:wink:

No Sugar Apple Pie

INGREDIENTS

* 2 (9 inch) pie shell
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
* 1 (12 fluid ounce) can unsweetened apple juice concentrate, thawed
* 6 cups sliced green apples

DIRECTIONS

* Set the oven to preheat settings of 350 degrees F.
* Beat cornstarch with cinnamon and 1/3 cup of the apple juice concentrate in a small bowl. Reserve for later use.
* Simmer the apples in a large saucepan, using the rest of the apple juice concentrate. Leave it cooking for 10 minutes or until the apples are tender. Mix in the cornstarch mixture and cook further until thick. Turn off stove and remove from heat.
* Ladle the apple mixture onto a pie plate lined with pastry. Place the top crust and seal the edges. Place steam vents on top before placing it into the oven to bake for 45 minutes or just until the crust becomes golden brown.

Mmm... that sounds really good... still, nothing beats a baked apple dumpling... mmmmmm.

http://www.boltonspringfarm.com/bakery.html

I don't know their recipe, and for my health I don't want to... I used to pick apples there though, and the treat at the end (beyond the treat of picking apples) was a dumpling.

• #3,678
My wife and I are celebrating our 36th anniversary this weekend. I cooked up two 3-1/2# Maine lobsters, and we ate one and shelled the other to make lobster-rolls for tomorrow. Later tonight, we'll pan-fry fresh Atlantic scallops. Seafood heaven!

Tomorrow, I'll marinade a pound of jumbo tiger shrimp and grill them over charcoal on Sunday. Spicy marinade with red wine, olive oil, lemon juice, halapeno relish, and my secret herbs and spices.

My wife is starting a poolish tonight with a bit of dough from the last batch, so we'll have fresh French bread tomorrow for the lobster rolls.

• #3,679
turbo-1 said:
My wife and I are celebrating our 36th anniversary this weekend. I cooked up two 3-1/2# Maine lobsters, and we ate one and shelled the other to make lobster-rolls for tomorrow. Later tonight, we'll pan-fry fresh Atlantic scallops. Seafood heaven!

Tomorrow, I'll marinade a pound of jumbo tiger shrimp and grill them over charcoal on Sunday. Spicy marinade with red wine, olive oil, lemon juice, halapeno relish, and my secret herbs and spices.

My wife is starting a poolish tonight with a bit of dough from the last batch, so we'll have fresh French bread tomorrow for the lobster rolls.

Wow... um, if you find a 6'2" (clearly a dude) transvestite show up on your front door tonight... don't shoot, it's me in a wig and dress pretending to be your wife. I would go in drag for that kind of chow! :biggrin:

Oh, and turbo... Happy 36th... Mazel Tov to you both.

• #3,680
turbo-1 said:

Congratulations you two. May there be many good eats to come.

• #3,681
Thanks, nismar! The anniversary is actually on the 28th, but we decided on an all-weekend food celebration.

• #3,682
turbo-1 said:
Thanks, nismar! The anniversary is actually on the 28th, but we decided on an all-weekend food celebration.

:rofl:

Ok, you may find a number of suspiciously hairy and basso-voiced "ladies" pretending to be your wife now!

• #3,683
dlgoff said:
Congratulations you two. May there be many good eats to come.
As much as we both love to cook, I think that's guaranteed, as long as we are kicking.

• #3,684
Mmmm! The pan-seared scallops were fantastic! Nicely browned and sweet. There is still about 1/2# of the scallops left over. I'm stuffed, but I'm planning on a scallop-and-lobster salad sandwich for breakfast. BTW, my dog is a NUT! I slipped him a little piece of lobster-tail this afternoon and he spit it out. The guy is a garbage disposal, and he will eat tree bark, but he spit out a nice piece of the sweetest meat of the lobster. I need to sit him down and have a long talk.

• #3,685
dlgoff said:
I just got back from the market and I'm in the process of making a stir-fry. I use lots of vegetables, some of which are zucchinis, but for some reason they were out of them. So I bought some Brussels instead. I wonder how it's going to turn out.

Well I'm working on my microbrewery growler while it's cooking, so it will probably taste fine by the time I'm done with the beer.

I though I should report back on this one.

Normally I'm not much for recipes; I guess I take after my mom for that (oh just a little of this, stir in some ..., What? Temperature?).

Anyway. I'll never make a stir-fry with zucchinis again. The brussels turned out great.

recipe (feeds 4):

1.5 lbs cheap (well it wasn't that cheap) pounded cube steak...cut up and brown slowly with lots of seasonings (salt, o-power, q-power, soy sauce...)

Drink one glass of beer while browning

In a different pot (no heat) cut up white and red onions, bell pepper, 6 chili peppers (hot), two carrots, add the brussels and drizzle with soy sauce.

Drink one glass of beer while cutting up the veggies.

Pour the browned meat and juices over the veggies, cover and steam on low until you finish another couple beers or so.

• #3,686
dlgoff said:
I though I should report back on this one.

Normally I'm not much for recipes; I guess I take after my mom for that (oh just a little of this, stir in some ..., What? Temperature?).

Anyway. I'll never make a stir-fry with zucchinis again. The brussels turned out great.

recipe (feeds 4):

1.5 lbs cheap (well it wasn't that cheap) pounded cube steak...cut up and brown slowly with lots of seasonings (salt, o-power, q-power, soy sauce...)

Drink one glass of beer while browning

In a different pot (no heat) cut up white and red onions, bell pepper, 6 chili peppers (hot), two carrots, add the brussels and drizzle with soy sauce.

Drink one glass of beer while cutting up the veggies.

Pour the browned meat and juices over the veggies, cover and steam on low until you finish another couple beers or so.

<...lisab wonders what q-powder is :confused:...>

• #3,687
lisab said:
<...turbo-1 wonders what beer is?>

• #3,688
lisab said:
oops. g for garlic

• #3,689
dlgoff said:
oops. g for garlic
And O for octopus. Don't you get it basil?! :rofl:

• #3,690
I went on a chocolate buying binge and have malteasers, dark chocolate and daim bars... I want to make an awesome dessert with them! like with cream! but don't know how to incoorporate it... an ideas?

• #3,691
nucleargirl said:
I went on a chocolate buying binge and have malteasers, dark chocolate and daim bars... I want to make an awesome dessert with them! like with cream! but don't know how to incoorporate it... an ideas?

Put about a cup chocolate in a double boiler with some butter and melt down,after melting add some expresso and a little rum and incorporate. In a chill'd stainless bowl whip a pint of heavy cream and after the chocolate mixture has cooled gently fold together. Place in cups, chill for a bit in the fridge, if you can withstand the temptation, then enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #3,692
turbo-1 said:
And O for octopus. Don't you get it basil?! :rofl:

:rofl: Good one!

... NOW... hand over those scallops! [URL]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/animal/animal0009.gif[/URL]

• #3,693
Jasongreat said:
Put about a cup chocolate in a double boiler with some butter and melt down,after melting add some expresso and a little rum and incorporate. In a chill'd stainless bowl whip a pint of heavy cream and after the chocolate mixture has cooled gently fold together. Place in cups, chill for a bit in the fridge, if you can withstand the temptation, then enjoy.

Ganache based mousse?! You're pure evil... tasty evil though.

I'd add, you can put peanuts and almonds in some of the melted mixture before whipping in the cream or adding the butter, and freeze little candies of them. OR... make the ganache, and go for truffles!

• #3,694
Mmm! Lunch was lobster salad on fresh French bread. I have another seafood salad made out of the left-over pan-fried scallops. Eventually, I'll have room for another sandwich. There are 4 loaves of artisan-style pumpernickel baking in the oven right now, so I may switch up and use that for the scallop sandwich.

• #3,695
thanks guys! that sounds nice! chocolate mousse with crushed malteasers folded in too! and crushed daim bar on top! mmm!

• #3,696
nucleargirl said:
thanks guys! that sounds nice! chocolate mousse with crushed malteasers folded in too! and crushed daim bar on top! mmm!

Damn... that does sound good.

You know what's great on Mousse?... Flake bar, or crushed http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/gale-gand/honeycomb-candy-recipe/index.html

• #3,697
Just had a scallop-salad sandwich on fresh pumpernickel bread. I love browned pan-fried fresh scallops, and when we have left-overs, it's great to mince them up along with some celery, season lightly and mix with mayonnaise.

• #3,698
We had cream caramel for dessert today. I forgot I know how to make it, but it suddenly popped into my head out of nowhere. Version I do is just a cup of milk plus 1 egg, plus a little bit of vanilla flavor, boiled in two pots (makeshift water bath), served with caramel sauce made on the frying pan just from sugar and water. Everything cooled down.

• #3,699
Borek said:
We had cream caramel for dessert today. I forgot I know how to make it, but it suddenly popped into my head out of nowhere. Version I do is just a cup of milk plus 1 egg, plus a little bit of vanilla flavor, boiled in two pots (makeshift water bath), served with caramel sauce made on the frying pan just from sugar and water. Everything cooled down.
How would be the normal method of eating it? As a spread or just spoon it directly into the mouth?

I sounds like something I'd like. Sounds very rich, which is what I like.

• #3,700
dlgoff said:
How would be the normal method of eating it? As a spread or just spoon it directly into the mouth?

I sounds like something I'd like. Sounds very rich, which is what I like.

You'd love it... everyone does! You may have had "flan" before?... same thing usually.

It's a semi-firm custard that usually is cooked in ramekins, with the caramel sauce arising as a result of sugar placed on the bottom. You overturn this, and you have a neat little custard with a browned "top", and it's own caramel sauce.

I like Borek's way too... faster, and less involved if its not for family.

This my friend, is Creme Caramel (creme being cream, Borek is absolutely correct):
112421234_bc0cb0fd0d.jpg

Compare to a softer custard such as Creme Brulee:

creme-brulee-7.jpg

Similar, but a little more egg, and then the "brulee" or burning of the sugared top, instead of inverting the dish to serve with a sauce. Both are definitely spoon foods, and comfort foods. Flan...

[PLAIN]http://30.media.tumblr.com/Qhr3z37EFq0ksodtIZbpF4hJo1_500.jpg

From France, Cuba, the USA, and everything in between, it seems that this is a VERY popular form of custard.

• #3,701
Never mind Bork. I've seen all I need to see thanks to nismaratwork.

Where have I been all my life?

• #3,702
nismaratwork said:
If you like brussel's sprouts, then you're using a great method to cook them: high heat for a short time makes sweet sprouts without the sulphur bomb effect. :wink:
I also read that if you cut out the core, they're less bitter.

Sorry for not gushing over turbo's seafood and the desserts, I've been nauseated the last couple of days. Bad timing. :eek:

• #3,703
dlgoff said:

Just a spoon.

Note that the version my Dad brought home from excavations in Egypt back in sixties (and which I learned in early seventies) produces something too soft for cutting, it breaks even when just transferred on the spoon. It can be probably easily changed by changing egg/milk proportion in favor of eggs.

nismaratwork said:
This my friend, is Creme Caramel (creme being cream, Borek is absolutely correct):

Actually it was a typo :blushing:

• #3,704
My wife made something very similar today, Borek. A vanilla-bean-flavored custard with nutmeg. I usually save the last spoonful or so for Duke. When I take a little dish of that out of the fridge, he is REALLY attentive until the end, when it is his turn.

• #3,705
We have to use vanilla beans more frequently, so that they are fresher and richer. Can't let those babies dry out!

• #3,706
Evo said:
I also read that if you cut out the core, they're less bitter.

Sorry for not gushing over turbo's seafood and the desserts, I've been nauseated the last couple of days. Bad timing. :eek:

Awwww... hope you feel better!

@Borek: Oh! Heh... still technically correct though. :wink:

@Turbo-1: Homemade custard?... Lucky Dog!

• #3,707
dlgoff said:
Never mind Bork. I've seen all I need to see thanks to nismaratwork.

Where have I been all my life?

I don't know, but you need to start making custard there! :biggrin:

• #3,708
nismaratwork said:
I don't know, but you need to start making custard there! :biggrin:
As good as it looks, I think I'm going to dedicate my time to the beer project first. :smile:

I'm sure my belly will swell just as much regardless of which one I intake.

• #3,709
dlgoff said:
As good as it looks, I think I'm going to dedicate my time to the beer project first. :smile:

I'm sure my belly will swell just as much regardless of which one I intake.

You're better off with beer! Eventually, you'll pass out... Custard is limitless. :biggrin:

• #3,710
My new coffee maker:

31Rh1y2qHlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg