Renormalization and divergences

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the Abel-Plana formula as a renormalization tool, specifically in the context of gravity. The formula is given as \zeta(-m,\beta)-\beta ^{m}/2- i\int_{0}^{\infty}dt[ (it+\beta )^{m}-(-it+\beta )^{m}](e^{2 \pi t}-1)^{-1}=\int_{0}^{\infty}dpp^{m} and is valid for every m>0. It has been used in the past for calculations such as the "Casimir effect" and to give a finite meaning to certain series, such as 1+
eljose
Check the webpage..

http://arxiv.org/ftp/math/papers/0402/0402259.pdf

specially the part of Abel-Plana formula as a renormalization tool...

[tex] \zeta(-m,\beta)-\beta ^{m}/2- i\int_{0}^{\infty}dt[ (it+\beta )^{m}-(-it+\beta )^{m}](e^{2 \pi t}-1)^{-1}=\int_{0}^{\infty}dpp^{m} [/tex]

valid for every m>0 so renormalization for gravity can be possible.:redface: :uhh:

[tex] \zeta(-m,\beta)-\beta ^{m}/2- i\int_{0}^{\infty}dt[ (it+\beta )^{m}-(-it+\beta )^{m}](e^{2 \pi t}-1)^{-1}=\int_{0}^{\infty}dpp^{m} [/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
After reading Ramanujan's letter to Hardy, I picked up a copy of Hardy's "Divergent Series" that you reference in this paper. I've always found it an interesting book.

But these methods of obtaining finite values for horribly divergent series has always struck me as rather arbitrary and unphysical. In fact, Hardy's book gives examples of sums that have more than one choice of finite sum, depending on how you group the terms and the like. This raises two questions.

First, do you have any physical explanation for why these forms should be used?

Second, do the sums you obtain this way match the usual methods of QFT? And how do they extend these methods?

Carl

-Zeta regularization...has been used before in calculations for "Casimir effect" [tex] \zeta(-3,0) [/tex] and in String theory for giving a finite meaning to the series... 1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+...\rightarrow \zeta(-1,0) [/tex] also an explanation of why it should work is included in Hardy,s book, the Abel-Plana formula is an exact result of complex analysis.

Note that here the "Zeta" function used is Hurwitz's zeta

Operator-regularization is a generalization of the zeta-function that works to all loop orders.

1. What is renormalization and why is it necessary?

Renormalization is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to remove infinities or divergences that arise in calculations of physical quantities. These infinities can occur due to the nature of quantum mechanics and the laws of physics at very small scales. Renormalization allows us to obtain meaningful and finite results that can be compared to experimental data.

2. What are the main types of divergences in quantum field theory?

The two main types of divergences in quantum field theory are ultraviolet (UV) divergences and infrared (IR) divergences. UV divergences arise when we integrate over infinite momentum or energy values, while IR divergences occur when we integrate over small momentum or energy values.

3. How is renormalization achieved in practice?

Renormalization is achieved by introducing counterterms into the equations that cancel out the divergences. These counterterms are chosen in such a way that the remaining, finite terms give meaningful and accurate predictions for physical phenomena. This process is known as perturbative renormalization.

4. What is the role of the renormalization group in renormalization?

The renormalization group is a mathematical framework that allows us to understand how physical quantities change as we move between different scales. It helps us to identify and classify different types of divergences, and also provides a way to resum an infinite number of perturbative calculations into a more concise and accurate result.

5. Can renormalization be applied to all physical theories?

Renormalization is a widely applicable technique and has been successfully used in many areas of physics, including quantum field theory, statistical mechanics, and condensed matter physics. However, it may not be applicable in all cases, especially in theories where the underlying assumptions or foundations are not well understood.