Solving a Puzzling XP Issue: Discovering Where List Order is Stored

• Thread starter NoTime
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, the person is seeking help with an issue on their Windows XP computer where the "Search" command has become the default action when right-clicking the Start button. They have tried dragging items in the Start menu and found that it only works for the Start menu itself, not the right-click properties. They suspect it may be a registry edit and have found some resources online for potential solutions. However, the person ended up fixing the issue by using the command "regsvr32 /i shell32.dll" instead of editing the registry directly. This refreshed the registry and solved the issue.
NoTime
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
XP is something I've studiously avoided.

I have a neighbor with a question though.

Normally when you right click the Start button the "Open" command is at the top of the popup list.
In this case the order has somehow shifted and now the "Search" command is at the top of the list.
This causes anoying issues.

Where is this list order stored in XP?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You should be able to just drag items in the Start menu to reorganize them any way you'd like.

- Warren

chroot said:
You should be able to just drag items in the Start menu to reorganize them any way you'd like.

- Warren
Tried that.
It's not the start menu itself. Drag/drop work much like NT/2000 there.

It's the right click properties associated with the start button. These items don't drag.

It seems that the topmost item in the list is the default double_click action. In this case "Search" rather than "Open" is now at the top of the properties list. If you douple click something you get the windows explorer file search window.

I would guess this is a registry edit, but he has no idea how he did it (if he did it).

NoTime said:
Tried that.
It's not the start menu itself. Drag/drop work much like NT/2000 there.

It's the right click properties associated with the start button. These items don't drag.

It seems that the topmost item in the list is the default double_click action. In this case "Search" rather than "Open" is now at the top of the properties list. If you douple click something you get the windows explorer file search window.

I would guess this is a registry edit, but he has no idea how he did it (if he did it).

check this link
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#open_folder
or this one
http://blogs.chron.com/helpline/archives/2005/10/double-click_op.html

post here if it doesn't work :D

bloodasp said:
check this link
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#open_folder
or this one
http://blogs.chron.com/helpline/archives/2005/10/double-click_op.html

post here if it doesn't work :D
I used the regsvr32 /i shell32.dll command sugested in the 2nd site rather than doing the regedit bit.
This command has the effect of refreshing all the registry info for the specified dll.
Did the trick.
Works fine now.

1. Where can I find the list order for my XP issue?

The list order for XP issues is stored in the registry under the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder.

2. How can I access the registry to find the list order?

To access the registry, click on the "Start" button and type "regedit" in the search box. Press "Enter" to open the Registry Editor. You can then navigate to the above-mentioned key to find the list order.

3. Can I change the list order in the registry?

Yes, you can change the list order in the registry by right-clicking on the "MenuOrder" key and selecting "Modify". You can then change the value data to rearrange the list order.

4. Will changing the list order in the registry affect my computer?

Changing the list order in the registry may affect the way your computer displays files and folders in certain programs, such as Windows Explorer. It is recommended to backup the registry before making any changes.

5. What should I do if I accidentally delete the "MenuOrder" key in the registry?

If you accidentally delete the "MenuOrder" key in the registry, you can restore it by going to "File" in the Registry Editor and selecting "Import". Choose a backup of your registry before the key was deleted and click "Open" to restore it.