Engine Combinations: 5 Major Categories & Examples

In summary: Nah. That's too much work. Just give me a brief rundown of the types of engines that fit into each category, and I'll do the rest.Normal, supercharged, turbocharged, forced induction, direct injection, indirect injection, single-acting, double-acting, triple-acting, quadruple-acting, rotary valve, cylindrical valve, Vee, Inline, Horizontal, Vertical, Radial, In-line, Vee, Radial, In-line, Vee, Horizontal, Vertical, Crosshead, Inline, Vee, Radial, Inline, Vee, Horizontal, Vertical, Radial, Inline, Vee, Horizontal, Vertical,
No abidansari, this was my point. You most certainly not conclude that your mentioned configurations don't exist. It's entirely possible that there's such an engine somewhere in the world that none of us know about, hence why ray b said "I HAVE SEEN".

When you say air-cooled, do you mean jacket water cooling or charge air cooling?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I meant Jacket water cooling.
And yes thanks for reminding me. It could be possible that any engine configuration could exist for some particular application. It is just that I wanted to show the most popular or the most used types.
And also considering the fact that only you & ray b are giving some thoughtful answers here, maybe I should try some other forums. Do you know of any where the participation is more?

This is the only forum I've ever found where you can get consistent, meaningful engineering discussion. The reason you're not really getting too many replies is because your question can't be conclusively answered by anyone (or even all) of us. I'm not trying to be obstructive, but who are these students you're teaching and why do you not have access to the information yourself?

Most automotive and industrial Diesel engines are jacket water cooled. Some are air cooled. Most are single acting, some are double acting. Most are in-line or vee, some are radial or single cylinder.

Almost all modern automotive Diesels are water cooled, turbocharged, air/air charge cooled, 4 stroke direct injection. Many are now common rail. The automotive sector accounts for the lion's share of all Diesels currently in use, infer from that what you will, or go and have a look at VW, Ford, BMW websites. The application here between different manufacturers is so similar that the configuration of 99% of modern automotive Diesels is the same.

Industrial Diesel engines work in such a wide range of applications that there is no typical configuration.

Go to:

www.cat.com[/URL]
[url]www.cummins.com[/url]
[url]www.perkins.com[/url]
[url]www.mak-global.com[/url]
[url]www.man-engines.com[/url]
[url]www.scania.com[/url]

And then come back with further questions. The above sites will cover 95% of industrial Diesel applications.

Last edited by a moderator:
abidansari said:
So can I conclude that a normally aspirated engine among the above configurations cannot exist?

no I am sure there is one or two somewhere
everytype has been tryed
by some one some time
even if a backyard more power guy like tim taylor on the show tool time

now common or comercial sucess is another matter

BTW how are you defining diesel
fuel oil or just no spark plug, pure CI
as I have seen a lot of small glow plug motors
use for model cars boats and most commonly aircraft
they burn nitro mixes
but are sort of CI motors
or are they