Hermitian Operators in quantum mechanics

In summary, the homework statement is that the following are Hermitian operators: a) p=-i\hbar\bigtriangledown b) L=-i\hbar r\times\bigtriangledown.
ultimateguy

Homework Statement

Within the framework of quantum mechanics, show that the following are Hermitian operators:

a) [tex]p=-i\hbar\bigtriangledown[/tex]

b) [tex]L=-i\hbar r\times\bigtriangledown[/tex]

Hint: In Cartesian form L is a linear combination of noncommuting Hermitian operators.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int\psi_{1}^{*}\L\psi_{2}d\tau=\int(\L\psi_{1})^{*}\psi_{2}d\tau[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that a Hermitian operator is self-adjoint, and that it's eigenvalues are real, but as far as proving it, I'm not exactly sure how to use the formula above to do that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to insert the operator into each side of the identity separately and show that they both work out to the same quantity. That means you'll be manipulating one integrand until it looks like the other one.

And consider integration by parts to move the derivative operators.

[tex]\int\psi^{*}(\frac{\delta\psi_{2}}{\delta x}+\frac{\delta\psi_{2}}{\delta y}+\frac{\delta\psi_{2}}{\delta z})d\tau[/tex]

So do I start off like this? If [tex]\psi[/tex] is a function of x, y and z then how do I handle the integration by parts? (The textbook does it, but only dependent on one variable)

You do it just the same way as with one variable. (?) I'm not sure what is confusing you. Split the integral into three separate parts if you need to.

That expression in parentheses in the integrand doesn't look much like [itex]\nabla(\psi_2)[/itex] to me.

how do I handle the integration by parts? (The textbook does it, but only dependent on one variable)

You're working in Cartesian coordinates, which all appear symmetrically in your integrand. So you have the luxury of working out the 1D problem (say, in x) and then saying "Similarly, we have for y and z..."

I think I got it,

[tex]\int\psi_1^*(-i\hbar\bigtriangledown\psi_2)d\tau=-i\hbar\psi_1^*\psi_2+\int i\hbar\bigtriangledown\psi_1^*\psi_2 d\tau[/tex]

Since [tex]\psi_1^*\psi_2=0[/tex] (eigenfunctions are orthogonal) then

[tex]\int\psi_1^* (-i\hbar\bigtriangledown\psi_2)d\tau=\int i\hbar\bigtriangledown\psi_1^*\psi_2 d\tau[/tex]

Which is the same as above equation. Is this right?

I'm afraid it's not orthogonality. The expression without an integral sign on it should be a difference betwen its values at + and - infinity. What is the the answer?

So it's zero because it's basically [tex]-\infty+\infty[/tex]?

Nooooo. You usually assume wave functions vanish at infinity or have some other similar boundary condition.

Also, here's another nitpick.

This:

ultimateguy said:
[tex]\int\psi_1^* (-i\hbar\bigtriangledown\psi_2)d\tau=\int i\hbar\bigtriangledown\psi_1^*\psi_2 d\tau[/tex]

Should be carried one step further to this:

[tex]\int\psi_1^* (-i\hbar\bigtriangledown\psi_2)d\tau=\int (-i\hbar\bigtriangledown\psi_1)^*\psi_2 d\tau[/tex]

I did part b) using the same method, but only the x component. (Since from cross product I get a vector.) Am I required to prove for each component, or is the linear combination hint enough to extend this proof to all components?

Like I said, the symmetry of Cartesian coordinates affords you the luxury of generalizing your argument for one component to the others with a minimum of trouble. You don't have to do it all again.

Thank you!

1. What is a Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics that has the property of being self-adjoint, meaning that the operator is equal to its own complex conjugate. In other words, the operator is symmetric with respect to its diagonal elements.

2. How are Hermitian operators used in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators are used in quantum mechanics to represent physical observables, such as energy, momentum, and spin. When acting on a quantum state, the operator returns a complex number that corresponds to the measurement of the observable in that state.

3. What is the significance of Hermitian operators in quantum mechanics?

Hermitian operators play a crucial role in quantum mechanics as they are associated with physical observables and their eigenvalues represent the possible outcomes of measurements. They also have the property of being diagonalizable, which allows for easier calculations and predictions in quantum systems.

4. How are Hermitian operators related to unitary operators?

Hermitian operators and unitary operators are closely related in quantum mechanics. A Hermitian operator can be transformed into a unitary operator through a process called unitary transformation. This transformation preserves the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator, making it a useful tool in quantum mechanics.

5. Can all operators in quantum mechanics be Hermitian?

No, not all operators in quantum mechanics are Hermitian. While Hermitian operators represent physical observables, there are also non-Hermitian operators that represent other mathematical quantities, such as the Hamiltonian operator which represents the total energy of a system. However, Hermitian operators are commonly used and studied in quantum mechanics due to their importance in predicting and understanding the behavior of quantum systems.