Any MIT undergrads/grads here? looking for research there.

In summary, Mark is a junior undergraduate looking for research opportunities in the biomedical engineering department at MIT. He is also considering going to Johns Hopkins for biomed research. He is seeking advice on how to maximize his chances as a research assistant at MIT, particularly from someone who knows the environment there. His research interests are in bioinformatics, involving mathematical modeling, computer science, and signal processing to model biological systems. He is open to suggestions for other schools to do summer research at, and someone suggests looking into the National Institutes of Health (NIH) which is nearby and has good research opportunities.
mkkrnfoo85
I'm a junior undergraduate looking for some research opportunities in the biomedical engineering dept. at MIT. I don't go to MIT, and yes, I will call their CBE dept. asap to find out. But, is there any inside information on getting a research position there? I hope I'm not asking the wrong people.

thanks, in advance.

-Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
biomed? Go to Johns Hopkins for that. They are one of the best in the world.

Last edited:
yea, i realize johns hopkins is a good place for biomed. funny thing, i actually happen to be a biomed undergrad at hopkins :redface: , but would like to look elsewhere for research opportunities this summer.

any ideas about how i can maximize my chances as an mit research assistant? preferably, maybe someone that knows what it's like there. :biggrin:

-Mark

Last edited:
Whoa, nice deal. Id stay right where you are if I were you! I think hopkins is a better place than MIT for biomed. At least that's what I hear. Hopkins is *the* place for medical research.

It would be helpful if you gave some idea of your research interests in biomedical engineering. While Hopkins is an excellent all-around school for biomedical engineering, it is very possible that other places, like MIT, are better than Hopkins in specific research areas. For example, I would say that MIT is the place to go to do research in optical coherence tomography (OCT), and Harvard, Penn, or University College London would be the places to go to do research in diffuse optical tomography (also known as diffuse optical imaging, optical diffusion tomography, or photon migration).

las3rjock said:
It would be helpful if you gave some idea of your research interests in biomedical engineering. While Hopkins is an excellent all-around school for biomedical engineering, it is very possible that other places, like MIT, are better than Hopkins in specific research areas. For example, I would say that MIT is the place to go to do research in optical coherence tomography (OCT), and Harvard, Penn, or University College London would be the places to go to do research in diffuse optical tomography (also known as diffuse optical imaging, optical diffusion tomography, or photon migration).

thx for the reply. My research interests are in bioinformatics. Anything that involves the use of mathematical modeling, computer science, and signal processing to model biological systems. I'm mainly looking for a summer research position that would be at a school other than Hopkins, with an interest in working at MIT. Just looking for suggestions for the best way to go about this. Hope that helps.

If you haven't looked already, see what NIH is doing. They are 45 mins away from you and very good.

My former fluids professor does modeling of the fluid flow in the bladder for NIH, so NIH might be worth looking into.

My former fluids professor does modeling of the fluid flow in the bladder for NIH, so NIH might be worth looking into.
That sounds like fun.

1. What types of research opportunities are available at MIT for undergrad and graduate students?

MIT offers a wide range of research opportunities for undergrad and graduate students. These opportunities span across various fields including science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. Students have the chance to work with renowned faculty members and participate in cutting-edge research projects.

2. How can I find research opportunities at MIT?

The best way to find research opportunities at MIT is to directly contact faculty members in your field of interest. You can also check the official MIT website for research opportunities and programs. Additionally, attending research fairs and networking events can help you connect with potential research mentors at MIT.

3. Are there any specific eligibility criteria for research positions at MIT?

The eligibility criteria for research positions at MIT may vary depending on the specific project and faculty member. Generally, students with a strong academic background and relevant research experience are preferred. It is important to check the specific requirements for each research opportunity before applying.

4. Can international students apply for research positions at MIT?

Yes, international students are welcome to apply for research positions at MIT. However, it is important to note that certain projects may have restrictions for non-US citizens due to funding or security reasons. It is best to check with the faculty member or department before applying for a research position.

5. How can participating in research at MIT benefit my academic and career goals?

Participating in research at MIT can provide numerous benefits for your academic and career goals. It allows you to gain hands-on experience in your field of interest, work with experts in the field, and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, research experience at a prestigious institution like MIT can enhance your resume and open doors for future academic and career opportunities.