Make a motor with: AA battery, copper wire, magnet

In summary, to make a motor using an AA battery, copper wire, and a magnet, you will need to create a simple circuit by wrapping the wire around the battery and placing the magnet close to it. This works by utilizing the principles of electromagnetism, where the magnetic field and electrical current interact to create movement. The materials needed are an AA battery, copper wire, a magnet, and tape, and it is possible to make a larger motor using this method with thicker wire and a stronger magnet. However, safety precautions should be taken, such as handling the battery and magnet carefully to avoid damage or injury.
Chaos' lil bro Order
Hey, this is a great 1 minute long video showing you how to make a homopolar motor using just one AA batter, a copper wire and a magnet. ENJOY!

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/90173/Homopolar_Motor.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's a cool idea. I think I'm going to incorporate this into my RC flier idea (a project my school is doing with NASA). My group decided to build a remote controlled flier. It would be awesome if we could build everything from scratch--even the motor!

Thank you for sharing this video on how to make a homopolar motor using simple materials such as an AA battery, copper wire, and a magnet. This is a great example of how scientific principles can be applied in everyday life. Homopolar motors work on the principle of electromagnetism, where the interaction between the magnetic field of the magnet and the electric current flowing through the wire creates a rotational force. This is a great hands-on experiment for understanding the basic principles of electromagnetism and motor function. It is also a great way to engage in DIY projects and explore the world of science. I encourage others to try this experiment and explore the many ways in which science can be used to create practical and innovative solutions.

1. How can I make a motor using an AA battery, copper wire, and a magnet?

To make a motor with an AA battery, copper wire, and a magnet, you will need to create a simple circuit. Start by wrapping the copper wire around the battery and then secure it with tape. Next, place the magnet close to the battery and watch as the wire starts to spin. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrical current in the wire, creating movement.

2. How does a motor made with an AA battery, copper wire, and a magnet work?

A motor made with an AA battery, copper wire, and a magnet works by utilizing the principles of electromagnetism. When the copper wire is wrapped around the battery, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the magnet, causing the wire to spin and creating movement.

3. What materials do I need to make a motor with an AA battery, copper wire, and a magnet?

The materials needed to make a motor with an AA battery, copper wire, and a magnet are an AA battery, copper wire, a magnet, and tape. You may also need scissors to cut the wire and tape.

4. Can I make a larger motor using this same method?

Yes, you can make a larger motor using the same method of using an AA battery, copper wire, and a magnet. However, you may need to use thicker wire and a stronger magnet to create enough force for larger movement.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making a motor with an AA battery, copper wire, and a magnet?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when making a motor with an AA battery, copper wire, and a magnet. Be careful when handling the battery and make sure it is not damaged. Use caution when wrapping the wire around the battery to avoid any short circuits. Also, be mindful of the magnet's strength and handle it with care to avoid any injuries or damage to electronic devices.