Tracking Money for Physics Grads: Choosing Grad School

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, the conversation is discussing the best way to track the potential income for physics graduates in order to make a decision about graduate school. The speaker's interests include Bose-Einstein Condensates, Optics, and Particle Physics. They suggest majoring in Optics due to a study showing high starting salaries for Optics PhDs, particularly at the University of Rochester. The other participant suggests looking into solid state physics and photonics as a field with many practical applications and funding opportunities.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Given that I already know where my interests and talents lie, how do I track where the money is going for physics grads as far as the branch of study. This will be a determining factor in my choice of grad school.

My interests lie in Bose-Einstein Condensates (mostly their interaction with light), Optics, and Particle physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you major in Optics? I saw one study where Optics PhD make 90k starting salaries. University of Rochester has the oldest program in Optics in the US.

solid state physics and photonics seems to be a field with many applications and funding.

1. How do I track my finances for graduate school?

Tracking your finances for graduate school can be done in several ways. One way is to create a budget and track your expenses and income each month. You can also use online tools or apps that help you categorize your spending and create a budget. Additionally, you can keep a spreadsheet of your expenses and income to monitor your finances.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a graduate school for physics?

When choosing a graduate school for physics, it is important to consider the program's reputation, faculty, research opportunities, location, and financial aid options. You should also consider the program's curriculum and whether it aligns with your career goals.

3. How can I finance my graduate education in physics?

There are several ways to finance your graduate education in physics. You can apply for scholarships, grants, and fellowships offered by the school or external organizations. Another option is to work as a teaching or research assistant, which often comes with a tuition waiver and stipend. You can also take out student loans, but be sure to carefully consider the repayment terms.

4. Should I consider the cost of living when choosing a graduate school?

Yes, the cost of living should definitely be considered when choosing a graduate school. The cost of living can vary greatly depending on the location of the school, and it can significantly impact your overall expenses. It is important to research the cost of living in the area and factor it into your budget and financial planning.

5. Are there any resources available to help me manage my finances during graduate school?

Yes, there are several resources available to help you manage your finances during graduate school. Many universities have financial aid offices or student financial services that can provide guidance and resources. You can also seek advice from a financial advisor or utilize online tools and apps to help you budget and track your expenses. Additionally, there are workshops and courses available that focus on financial management for graduate students.