Is the Image of an Open Set Under a Continuous Function Always Open?

In summary, the set S = {f(c): 0<c<1} must be both connected and bounded, but it is not necessarily an open subset of R. The statement that the image of an open set is open is not always true, as shown by the counterexample of the function f(x) = 0.
yxgao
Let f be a real-valued function defined and continuous on the set of real numbers R. Which of the following must be true of the set S = {f(c): 0<c<1}?

I. S is a connected subset of R
II. S is an open subset of R
III. S is a bounded subset of R

The answer is I and III only. I understand why I is true. But, why is is bounded, and why is it not an open subset?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
it is bounded because it is continuous on the compact set [0,1] and the continuous image of a compact (closed and bounded set) is closed and bounded, the image of (0,1) is a subsert of this bounnded set and is hence bounded.

define f(x) = 0 for all x. the image of an open set is then closed.

How can you reach a conclusion by simply considering the case f(x) = 0?

Because the question asks if it MUST be true that the image of an open set is open. I just showed that it isn't necessarily true. To disprove a statement it suffices to provide ONE counter example.

The negation of the statement 'for all continuous f (on R) the restriction to (0,1) is an open map (ie the image is open)' is 'there exists A continuous map on r R whose restriction to (0,1) is not an open map'.

What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a foundation for other branches of mathematics and is used to model real-world phenomena.

What are the basic principles of set theory?

The basic principles of set theory include the concepts of sets, elements, subsets, and operations such as union, intersection, and complement. It also includes the axioms of extension, specification, and pairing.

What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric objects that are preserved under continuous deformations, such as stretching, bending, and twisting. It is often referred to as "rubber-sheet geometry."

What is the difference between open and closed sets in topology?

In topology, open sets are sets that do not include their boundary points, while closed sets are sets that include all of their boundary points. For example, the interval (0,1) is an open set, while the interval [0,1] is a closed set.

How is topology used in real-world applications?

Topology has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to study the properties of networks, analyze data, and model complex systems. It is also used in areas such as material science, biology, and economics.