Euler's Equation: A sign from god?

See his discussion of this in the Feynmann Lectures, Volume 1.)In summary, Euler's equation e^{i\pi}+1 = 0 is a remarkable and elegant summary of some of the most important numbers and concepts in mathematics, including algebra, complex numbers, and calculus. Its proof lies in the underlying structure and relationships of these mathematical concepts, and it serves as a representation of the symmetries of nature. While some may see
Inquire,

Take that, intuitionist!

LoL! I've been called worse. :)

So, did intuition always exist also? Like numbers, intuition requires mind.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think the idea that ideas have an existence independent of the human mind is an idea that doesn't have an existence independent of the human mind.

if math is the way the universe works we didnt invent it, but i think that's not the situation.
math is a language in which we find it easier to look at the universe, it can't give all the answers (unsolvable problems).
and the basic assumptions we made inorder for our math to describe the world aren't given from the heavens, if we would have lived in a different universe where two parallel lines cross each other we'd have to invent different math...

inquire4more said:
A computer is an entity, not an idea or truth. The truth of the statement 1+1=2 holds, ireespective. One object added to another object give us two such objects. We may have given names to the number, but we did not invent number, or truth.
1+1=2 holds only because we defined it as such.

Of course, we defined it as such because it seemed like the most logical way to do it. But we still defined it.

To me it seems that Euler's Equation is more that we have a well set up notation. If we can express complex ideas in short meaningful notation then surely this is good?

Last edited:
inquire4more said:
The truth of the statement 1+1=2 holds, ireespective. One object added to another object give us two such objects.
One drop of water added to another drop of water often gives us just one drop of water. One pile of stones added to another pile of stones is often just another pile of stones. Need I go on?

The book, "Where Math Comes From" explores the Euler relation. Now . . . can I get off the subject too:

Over time I've grown increasingly convinced mathematics is created within the human mind. The illusion of it's discovery is but a reflection of a common origin of mind and number. From this perspective, I believe it important to judge mathematics within the context of Darwinian evolution of the human brain. I look outside my window and see a world massively non-linear at all scales. A non-linear brain evolved as a successful survival strategy for coping in such a world. And from that brain, the (non-linear) metaphors of mathematics emerge as one more survival strategy. I don't believe there is any math out there, rather only dynamics exists in the Universe, and because of the Darwinian synergy between nature and mind the metaphors we create to describe that dynamics become so successful that we erroneously conclude they're discovered.
:smile:

Last edited:
matt grime said:
One drop of water added to another drop of water often gives us just one drop of water. One pile of stones added to another pile of stones is often just another pile of stones. Need I go on?
I see your point, but I contest it. Two piles of stones dumped all together does indeed make just a larger, singular, pile of stones. But these piles are not irreducible. And, in any course, we may say that we have created a pile with twice as many stones as either of the two earlier piles. If I am following the argument of you lot correctly, were there no consciousness, then one stone and one stone would then not make two stones? Someone once told me that I didn't give mankind enough credit when I begrudged him his invention of mathematics. It seems to me you guys give us too much credit. The universe continues to operate, even without humanity. And one stone added to one stone gives two stones, whether I say it is so or not.

But a bunch of stones is not mathematics. Stones may (or may not) be part of reality, but math is little more than the language and methods used to discuss it. Furthermore math, like natural languages, can be used to discuss concepts that do not even exist in nature just by changing a few initial postulates. I don't see how it can be said that math exists all by itself.

inquire4more said:
I see your point, but I contest it. Two piles of stones dumped all together does indeed make just a larger, singular, pile of stones. But these piles are not irreducible. And, in any course, we may say that we have created a pile with twice as many stones as either of the two earlier piles. If I am following the argument of you lot correctly, were there no consciousness, then one stone and one stone would then not make two stones? Someone once told me that I didn't give mankind enough credit when I begrudged him his invention of mathematics. It seems to me you guys give us too much credit. The universe continues to operate, even without humanity. And one stone added to one stone gives two stones, whether I say it is so or not.

Philosophy has no absolutely right or wrong answers, but in this case you might want to ponder what a collection of stones is? when do two single stones stop being one stone and another stone and become two stones?

The mathematics of it is the counting and the divorcing the counting process from the objects involved, ie we can compare a collection of two stones and two apples and note that they have a common property, twoness, but what is that twoness really? is it something they have? what do i mean by have? I don't know, to be honest, but the day i stub my toe on something that *is* the number 2 i'll become a platonist. this is probably grossly misrepresenting the position of platonists. however as a good scientist occam's razor tells me to discard any unnecessary hypotheses, and that things have an existence in a platonic realm is unnecessary to do maths.

matt grime said:
Philosophy has no absolutely right or wrong answers, but in this case you might want to ponder what a collection of stones is? when do two single stones stop being one stone and another stone and become two stones?
The mathematics of it is the counting and the divorcing the counting process from the objects involved, ie we can compare a collection of two stones and two apples and note that they have a common property, twoness, but what is that twoness really? is it something they have? what do i mean by have? I don't know, to be honest, but the day i stub my toe on something that *is* the number 2 i'll become a platonist. this is probably grossly misrepresenting the position of platonists. however as a good scientist occam's razor tells me to discard any unnecessary hypotheses, and that things have an existence in a platonic realm is unnecessary to do maths.

It doesn't matter what it *is* all that matters is how it behaves.

matt grime said:
Now, there you have given me some food for thought which I will mull over for some while and if I come to some conclusion I will get back to you. Don't hold your breath.

matt grime said:
that things have an existence in a platonic realm is unnecessary to do maths.
You are quite correct here. I simply enjoy the existence arguments and this thread seemed appropriate.

thecolor11 said:
Icebreaker, math existed before we discovered it, and it will exist long after we're gone.
How so? The math as a way of thinking and describing things might have been discovered, but our axioms and such were definitely invented. We could have math other than base ten math, as I think either the Mayans or Babylonians did (base 8?).

when does one post appended to another pile of posts become simply a pile of----?:tongue2:

mathwonk said:
when does one post appended to another pile of posts become simply a pile of----?:tongue2:
After this post!

Phi is actually also thought to be of "divine" influence. Curiously, if you take the sine of 666, you get exactly 1/2 the negative value of Phi, or what some people call the "anti" phi.

Dan Brown talks about the divine qualities of phi in one of his books (either Angels and Demons or Da Vinci Code). It's actually very interesting.

I, like many, believe that math was invented and not discovered. However, I just got to thinking about irrational numbers. For instance, the digits of pi exist, but we have not yet discovered all of them. This isn't a good argument though, so I continue to believe that math was invented.

Last edited:
We imposed our invented structures onto the world. Hence it may appear that the results come from nature, but actually we said what a circle is in the first place, and of course the ratio between circumference and diameter should be the same -- we defined all circles to be similar shapes.

gravenewworld said:
Phi is actually also thought to be of "divine" influence. Curiously, if you take the sine of 666, you get exactly 1/2 the negative value of Phi, or what some people call the "anti" phi.

Please don't say "Phi is actually also thought to be of "divine" influence" without saying BY WHOM that is thought! I seriously doubt that there are very many people today who think that.

ksinclair13 said:
For instance, the digits of pi exist, but we have not yet discovered all of them.

Actually, we have: they are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9.

this someway makes me laugh...although i,m a bit agnostic rather than 2believer" this would not prove nothing but a beatiful number relationship..similar to the thousands and thousands that there is in math..

-The argument of the equation reminds me the "controversial" of the prove of good make by Mapertuis and supported by others in the sense that for all good physical theories there is a variational principle in which the action S is minimized in the sense [tex] \delta{S}=0 [/tex] then we have recalling Euler,s equation another identity:

[tex] e^{2i\pi}-1=0 [/tex] would it prove the existence of evil?..

i didn,t want to offend anybody...of course i would like that god or something similar forgiving and almighty entity existed and gave us the "Garden of Eden"...

Thank you Doodle Bob for clearing that up for me.

If every coincidence is a sign from God, then not only does God give out random and possibly contradictory signs, but since we can define structures and produce events that will purposedly lead to coincidences, then we are able to tell God what signs to give us. :smile:

If one dinosaur met another dinosaur there were 2 dinosaurs, surely?

Well, this thread has run its course (the mathematical content anyways), so I'm going to lock it, so there's no more necromancy. If anyone wants to continue the philosophical discussion, feel free to start a thread in the philosophy of math forum.

gravenewworld said:

Do you just assert things without even checking? Any one with a calculator can see that's not even close to true.

phi= [itex]\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}= 3.236[/itex] approximately.

You don't say whether your "666" is supposed to be in degrees or radians. Assuming you meant radians, sin(666)= -0.1764, approximately, and assuming degrees, sin(666)= -.8090, approximately.

Of course, phi couldn't possibly be "sin(666)" in any units, or even sine of any number because it is larger than 1!