Atwood Machine: Is g = 9.8 m/s^2?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of 'g' in an experiment using the Atwood machine. It is stated that the experimental acceleration will be less than the theoretical acceleration due to the mass of the pulley and string. The calculated 'g' is found to be around 7.1 m/s^2, confirming that it should be less than 9.8 m/s^2.
curiousgeorge99

Homework Statement

Simple question I'm sure, but I want clarification if possible. If you do an experiment with the Atwood machine and you need to calculate 'g', should it be close to 9.8 m/s^2 ?

Homework Equations

No equations necessary, theoretical question. I would think the Atwood machine is trying to demonstrate that g is actually 9.8m/s^2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
In reality, the pulley and string have mass, so the experimental acceleration will be less than the theoretical acceleration of the system

My 'g' is calculated to be about 7.1 m/s^2, so its good to know it should be less than 9.8.

1. What is an Atwood Machine?

An Atwood Machine is a simple mechanical device consisting of two masses connected by a string or pulley system. It is used to study the principles of acceleration and force.

2. How does an Atwood Machine work?

An Atwood Machine works by applying the principles of Newton's second law of motion. The two masses connected by a string or pulley experience equal and opposite forces, causing one mass to accelerate while the other decelerates.

3. How is the value of gravity (g) related to the Atwood Machine?

The value of gravity (g) is an important factor in the Atwood Machine as it affects the acceleration of the masses. According to Newton's second law, the acceleration of the masses is directly proportional to the net force acting on them, which includes the force of gravity.

4. Is the value of g always equal to 9.8 m/s^2 in an Atwood Machine?

No, the value of g may vary depending on the location and altitude of the Atwood Machine. However, the standard value used for g is 9.8 m/s^2, which is the average acceleration due to gravity on Earth.

5. How can the value of g be determined in an Atwood Machine?

The value of g can be determined by measuring the acceleration of the masses and using the formula a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses and a is the acceleration. By rearranging the formula, g can be calculated as g = 2a(m1 + m2) / (m1 - m2).