Can you 'fool' a proximity sensor?

• Thread starter B. Elliott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary, Brett was playing around with his small inductive loop detector and a question popped into his head - is it possible to fool the sensor into not detecting a metal object? Brett found that it is not easily done, but that it is possible if you are not affecting into the sensor. There are different types of sensors available, some based on Earth's magnetic field changes and others based on a different principle of detection.
B. Elliott
I own a small one that that can detect metallic objects. Automotive use. I believe most (if not all) are based off of an inductive loop design. Anyway, I was playing around with it and a some coins and the question popped into my head...

Is it possible to 'trick' an inductive loop into not being able to detect or see a metal object?Brett

Computer science news on Phys.org
Not clear, what you mean by fool. Proximity sensors of all sorts can fail, but for the most part they are extremely reliable. They only fail if physically abused or become mechanially mis aligned.

Integral said:
Not clear, what you mean by fool. Proximity sensors of all sorts can fail, but for the most part they are extremely reliable. They only fail if physically abused or become mechanially mis aligned.

Sorry for not being very clear. What I mean by 'fool' would be to make the the metal object invisible to the proximity sensor. Since they operate by detecting a change in the electromagnetic field that they produce, could they possibly be 'fooled' if you were to somehow emit a stronger field? Or maybe cancel out the field in some way?

Last edited:
not easily done.

Probably not, sensors which are based on Earth's magnetic field changes like traffic sensors, are hard to pass, anything that affects into a field may trigger the sensor. Even if trying to jam the field with an another field would be very difficult as you don't know the reference level. In theory, you might have a chance to create a field which is negative to that field that is affecting to a sensor, creating a +- zero situation to a sensor "sight". But as i said, that is nearly impossible, sensors are very accurate and sensitive.
But if you are not affecting into a sensor you may pass it. In traffic, someone told that a motorbike or a sports cars done with a carbon fibres could pass those sensors.

TechSpec said:
Probably not, sensors which are based on Earth's magnetic field changes like traffic sensors, are hard to pass, anything that affects into a field may trigger the sensor.

That's not true, TechSpec. That's not how inductive loop traffic sensors work. They use an AC signal, not the Earth's magnetic field.

And to the original question, yes, you can make a circuit that would actively pick up the detector signal and emit a signal that compensated for the metal object. There are some limitations in terms of sizes and geometries, naturally.

different type of detection

Berkeman, i agree, AC loops won't work with Earth's magnetic field. However, there are different types of sensors available like Honeywell. They have sensors to detect vehicles with a different principle of detection. They are based on Earth's magnetic field variations caused by a vehicle near to it.
You may read about them from here:
http://www.ssec.honeywell.com/magnetic/datasheets/an218.pdf

As the sensor technology has inproved the last few years rapidly, and making them easier and cheaper than the "old technology", i assume that AC loops may be a history in a while... who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
TechSpec said:
Berkeman, i agree, AC loops won't work with Earth's magnetic field. However, there are different types of sensors available like Honeywell. They have sensors to detect vehicles with a different principle of detection. They are based on Earth's magnetic field variations caused by a vehicle near to it.
You may read about them from here:
http://www.ssec.honeywell.com/magnetic/datasheets/an218.pdf

As the sensor technology has inproved the last few years rapidly, and making them easier and cheaper than the "old technology", i assume that AC loops may be a history in a while... who knows.

I'll be darned! I hadn't heard about this technology, TechSpec. Thanks for the info -- I learn something new every day! :blushing:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can you trick a proximity sensor?

It is possible to trick a proximity sensor, but it depends on the specific sensor and its capabilities. Some sensors may be more easily fooled than others.

2. How can a proximity sensor be fooled?

One way to fool a proximity sensor is by using a reflective material to reflect the sensor's signal away from the object it is trying to detect. This can cause the sensor to think there is no object present.

3. Can a proximity sensor be fooled by distance?

Yes, the distance between the sensor and the object it is trying to detect can affect its accuracy. If the object is too far away, the sensor may not be able to detect it.

4. Can you 'trick' a proximity sensor by moving quickly?

It is possible to trick a proximity sensor by moving quickly, as some sensors may not be able to keep up with rapid movements. However, this may not work with all sensors and it also depends on the sensitivity and range of the sensor.

5. How do you test if a proximity sensor can be fooled?

The best way to test if a proximity sensor can be fooled is by experimenting with different materials and distances to see how the sensor reacts. It is also important to refer to the sensor's specifications to understand its capabilities and limitations.