Prove Total Kinetic Energy of a Rotating System about 3 Axes

• Thread starter pardesi
  • Start date
In summary: I_{zz}=-I_{12}In summary, KE is the total kinetic energy of a system rotating about three perpendicular axes. To find the translational velocity at (x,y,z), one would need to diagonalize the I tensor.
pardesi
how does one prove this
if a system is rotating about three different perpendicular axes then
total kinetic energy of the system is
[tex]T=\frac{I_{x}\omega_{x}^{2}}{2} + \frac{I_{y}\omega_{y}^{2}}{2}+\frac{I_{z}\omega_{z}^{2}}{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the body as a set of particles.

[tex]T = \frac{1}{2}\iiint \rho (\dot x^2 + \dot y^2 + \dot z^2) dx\,dy\,dz[/tex]

Then write the translational velocity at (x,y,z) in terms of the rotation velocities and the position (the 3-D version of [tex]v = r\omega[/tex]).

Rearrange the result and the integrals that define [tex]I_x[/tex] etc will appear.

well, in general you'll find:
[tex]
T=\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i,j}I_{ij}\omega_i\omega_j
[/tex]
then you can change coordinates to diagonalize the I tensor... or, if you made a good choice to begin with the tensor will already be diagonal giving you the expression you want.

AlephZero said:
...(the 3-D version of [tex]v = r\omega[/tex]).
I.e.
[tex]
\vec v = \vec \omega \times \vec r
[/tex]
or
[tex]
v_i = \epsilon_{ijk}\omega_j r_k
[/tex]

And use the definition
[tex]
I_{ij}=\int\rho\left(
r^2\delta_{ij}-r_ir_j
\right)
[/tex]

pardesi said:
how does one prove this
if a system is rotating about three different perpendicular axes then
total kinetic energy of the system is
[tex]T=\frac{I_{x}\omega_{x}^{2}}{2} + \frac{I_{y}\omega_{y}^{2}}{2}+\frac{I_{z}\omega_{z}^{2}}{2}[/tex]
I think you can start with the given that:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}I|\vec\omega|^2[/tex]

What is the square of the length of the vector [itex]\omega[/itex] in terms of the x, y and z components?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
I think you can start with the given that:

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2}I|\vec\omega|^2[/tex]

What is the square of the length of the vector [itex]\omega[/itex] in terms of the x, y and z components?

AM

no. he can't start with that. Only in the special case of
[tex]
I_x=I_y=I_z=I
[/tex]

1. What is the formula for calculating the total kinetic energy of a rotating system about three axes?

The formula for calculating the total kinetic energy of a rotating system about three axes is KE = 1/2(Ixωx2 + Iyωy2 + Izωz2), where Ix, Iy, and Iz are the moments of inertia about the respective axes, and ωx, ωy, and ωz are the angular velocities about the same axes.

2. How is the total kinetic energy of a rotating system about three axes related to its angular momentum?

The total kinetic energy of a rotating system about three axes is directly proportional to its angular momentum. This means that as the angular momentum of the system increases, so does its total kinetic energy.

3. Can the total kinetic energy of a rotating system about three axes be negative?

No, the total kinetic energy of a rotating system about three axes cannot be negative. Kinetic energy is always a positive quantity and represents the energy of motion in a system. Any negative values in the equation would result in an imaginary or undefined solution.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the total kinetic energy of a rotating system about three axes?

The distribution of mass in a rotating system affects the total kinetic energy by changing the moments of inertia about each of the three axes. The larger the moment of inertia, the more energy is required to rotate the object, resulting in a higher total kinetic energy.

5. Is the total kinetic energy of a rotating system about three axes conserved?

Yes, the total kinetic energy of a rotating system about three axes is conserved. This means that the total kinetic energy will remain constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. Any changes in kinetic energy would be due to changes in the angular velocity or moments of inertia.