Light speed relative to universal speed

In summary, the conversation is discussing the relationship between the speed of light and the universe's speed through time. The diagram provided shows a photon traveling at the speed of light and the changes happening in the universe during that same time. The idea of exceeding the speed of light and its possible effects on time is also mentioned. However, the concept is seen as abstract and not necessarily important. The conversation also briefly touches on the concept of dimensions and parallel universes.
whitelighter
Light speed relative to universal speed...

HI guys,

Just a simple request for confirmation that I have it right.

It may seem so obvious to you but to me I just need to confirm with currently held thought ( this forum ) that the photon travels at relativistically zero velocity with the universe's speed through time...

The diagram I think shows this fundamental clearly enough. Is the diagram correct in it's proposition?
( the figure given for 'c' is relative to ambience of course)

single web page diagram

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
makes sense to me but I am no graduate of relativity

What's the "universe's speed through time?" More particularly, what's "the universe," and how can it perceive time?

cookiemonster

It makes no sense to me.

whitelighter,

Integral said: "It makes no sense to me"

I will raise that to the level of a postulate and say that the sense of your post is a universal constant, equal to zero in all frames of reference. :wink:

It makes no sense to me.

Integral, from the other posts I have seen you obviously are a member of some esteem and maybe I can learn from your opinion.

To me this contention is just utilising relativity to describe the "Time Continuum" and suggests another approach to the way relativity can be applied...

Can you explain why this contention is nonsense as this would help me understand my own error of "looking"?

(BTW I have tried to find whitelighter but he/she appears to be no longer a member of this board)

Unfortunately when I say "this makes no sense to me" That is what I mean. I am unable to understand the meaning of his picture. He really does not label the bars that appear. If you can explain to me what those are supposed to represent, perhaps I could begin to relate this to what I do understand.

I think the diagram is probably just to simple and we are looking for more than it is...

It obviously shows a spread of time (10 seconds) as an example.

It shows that a photon travels 3M kms in that 10 seconds and that the universes changes in that same 10 seconds...

And that's it...nothing more

Self evident and not all that profound I might add.

But where is see the value is in the combining of "c" with the contention that because "c' is the threshold that time may reverse if exceeded may lead to the idea that velocity beyond stationary will create time slowing effects.

"because a relatively stationary universe is already at 'c'..." "that velocities beyond "stillness" will produce time distortion effects

Anyway that's what I understand from his/her POV on relativity...I have no idea how this may or may not effect the understanding of anything...to me it's just an abstraction and is valued as such.

those little boxes I would presume are symbolising universal change.

is that of any help Integral?

b = magnetism

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The speed of light directly supports how dementions there are in space time that's why when you time travel you go to a parallel universe. Speed of light is in increments of 8 the speed of light is only for finding new dementions not for traveling. Look up Quantum time port where time and space are the same place. Who cares about the speeed of light. Time is controlled by the speed of b = magnetism

1. What is the concept of light speed relative to universal speed?

The concept of light speed relative to universal speed refers to the relationship between the speed of light and the maximum speed limit of the universe, also known as the speed of light in a vacuum. This means that the speed of light is considered to be the fastest possible speed at which anything can travel in the universe.

2. How is light speed measured and calculated?

Light speed is measured through the use of specialized instruments such as lasers and high-speed cameras. The most commonly accepted value for the speed of light is 299,792,458 meters per second, which is calculated by dividing the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one second by the amount of time it takes.

3. What is the significance of light speed in the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein, states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their own motion. This is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of light and the universe.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, it is not possible for any object with mass to travel at or faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it would require infinite energy to accelerate it further. However, particles with no mass, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light.

5. How does light speed relate to the expansion of the universe?

The speed of light is an important factor in understanding the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the distance between objects increases, and the speed at which light can travel between them also increases. This means that the light we receive from distant galaxies has been traveling for billions of years, giving us a glimpse into the past and the early stages of the universe.