Find Average Velocity of X & Y Components

In summary, the question asks for the x and y components of the average velocity of a squirrel in an obstacle course, and the direction of the average velocity below the x axis. The answer for the x component is 1.38 m/s, rounded to 2 significant figures. The answer for the y component is -1.45 m/s, rounded to 2 significant figures. When calculating the direction of the average velocity, it is important to use the correct units (degrees or radians) and to keep enough decimal places for accurate rounding.
Heat

Homework Statement

A http://www.maniacworld.com/squirrel-obstacle-course.html has x- and y-coordinates ( 1.2 m, 3.9 m) at time t1=0 and coordinates ( 5.5 m, -0.60 m) at time t2 = 3.1 s.

For this time interval, find the x & y component of the average velocity.
Express your answer using two significant figures.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did
First I drew how I would imagine it would look like.

Then I decided xf-xi / tf-ti = vax

-.60 - 1.2 /3.1 = -1.8/3.1 = -.580

Physics news on Phys.org
Heat said:

Homework Statement

A http://www.maniacworld.com/squirrel-obstacle-course.html has x- and y-coordinates ( 1.2 m, 3.9 m) at time t1=0 and coordinates ( 5.5 m, -0.60 m) at time t2 = 3.1 s.

For this time interval, find the x & y component of the average velocity.
Express your answer using two significant figures.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did
First I drew how I would imagine it would look like.

Then I decided xf-xi / tf-ti = vax

-.60 - 1.2 /3.1 = -1.8/3.1 = -.580

but -0.60 is y2, not x2...

ok

my mistake (obviously) :P

5.5 - 1.2 /3.1 = 4.3/3.1 = 1.38

Yeah, that looks right. Do the same for vy. The question asks for 2 significant figures though...

Ok I did the other questions regarding this crazy squirrel,

but this question got me

Find the direction of the average velocity. below the x axis.

I graphed it.

x com = 1.4
y com = -1.5

arc tan of (-1.5/1.4) = -.82

why is this wrong.?

Is that in radians? Does the question ask for degrees or radians?

Although the first parts asked for the answer in 2 significant figures... you should keep more decimal places for the next calculations...

ie: use arctan( -1.4516/1.387)

since it still says use two sigs

I did what you mentioned above and I got

so I rounded to

still wrong.

and yes in degrees

Heat said:
since it still says use two sigs

I did what you mentioned above and I got

so I rounded to

still wrong.

and yes in degrees

But -0.81 is in the answer in radians... do you have the calculator set up for degrees? What is the anwer in degrees?

haha, I guess that is what I get for using my graphing calc, I forgot the last time I used it I set it up for radians. Thank you for your explation. :)

1. What is the formula for finding the average velocity of X and Y components?

The formula for finding the average velocity of X and Y components is:
V = (∆X/∆t)i + (∆Y/∆t)j
Where V is the average velocity vector, ∆X and ∆Y are the changes in the X and Y components respectively, and ∆t is the change in time.

2. How do I calculate the changes in X and Y components?

To calculate the changes in X and Y components, you will need to have the initial and final values for both X and Y. You can then find the difference between these values by subtracting the initial value from the final value. For example:
∆X = Xf - Xi
∆Y = Yf - Yi
Where Xi and Yi are the initial X and Y values, and Xf and Yf are the final X and Y values.

3. What is the unit of measurement for average velocity?

The unit of measurement for average velocity is meters per second (m/s) or any other unit of distance over time (e.g. kilometers per hour).

4. Can I use this formula for any type of motion?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of motion as long as there are X and Y components involved. It is commonly used for calculating the average velocity of an object traveling in a two-dimensional plane.

5. How is the average velocity of X and Y components different from the overall average velocity?

The average velocity of X and Y components is the average velocity of an object's motion in the X and Y directions separately. This means that it takes into account any changes in the X and Y components individually. The overall average velocity, on the other hand, is the average velocity of an object's motion in all directions combined. This means that it takes into account the total distance traveled and the total time elapsed, regardless of direction.