Exploring the World of Rubik's Cube Puzzles: A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter Inkcoder
  • Start date
In summary: Rubik's Ice Cube, and the Gordian's Knot Puzzle-The 5x5x5 professor's cube is just a little overwhelming, even though it looks like the 4x4x4 would be much harder-The 2x2 is a fun little puzzle to carry around with you, If you apply a basic method of a 3x3 (fish method, cross, H method, ect.) it can be easily solved-Austin used a java timer and averaged around 20 sec per solve with his best at 13.42sec, I'm sure with a little practice he could have an average of under 10
Inkcoder
Hey,

I have been saving to get some new puzzles, since the only 2 that I own currently are the original 3x3 Rubik's cube and the Sudoku Rubik's cube. I started speed solving 3x3's in May, I have gotten my time down to around a minute and a half. The sudoku cube is harder, I have only solved it twice and can't imagine speed solving it.

So last night I bribed my mom into ordering some puzzles of Amazon if I would pay her for them all I needed was the credit card. So I bought the 5x5 Professors Rubik's Cube (Holy..), A 2x2 Rubik's Ice Cube and the Gordian's Knot Puzzle. All that totaled me $70 give or take a few. Anyways they should be arriving here tomorrow and I'm pumped. The 5x5, and 2x2 i hope are self explanatory. But the Gordian's Knot puzzle, a friend in my study hall has one. It is supposedly the world's best mind teaser. I'll take that title to the test.

I'll post here how it goes,
Austin

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd like to know how the gordian knot puzzle goes. I've been thinking about getting some new puzzle games, as the Rubik's cube is getting old (I'm also a speed-solver; I average ~35 seconds); I don't feel like learning the Fredrich method... too much memorization.

The 5x5x5 professor's cube is just a little overwhelming, even though it looks like the 4x4x4 would be much harder.

I'm still working the Gordian's Knot, a fun puzzle for a rainy day. But the puzzle can get frustrating.. And I learned that the puzzle can be solved all to easy when a little extra force is added :rolleyes:. I'm currently in the stage of assembling the "knot" back again to it's original state which is easier said than done.
The 2x2 is a fun little puzzle to carry around with you, If you apply a basic method of a 3x3 (fish method, cross, H method, ect.) it can be easily solved. I used a java timer and averaged around 20 sec per solve with my best at 13.42sec, I'm sure with a little practice I could have an average of under 10.
I still haven't received my 5x5 :cry: so I will keep you posted on that headache.

I think I more am into the rubik's like puzzles, so I'm thinking after I get bored with my 2x2, and 5x5 I will order a http://cube4you.com/218_Pyraminx-with-Fluorescent-labels.html and maybe a http://cube4you.com/102_New-Megaminx.html (yikes).

-Austin

1. What is the significance of 2x2, 5x5, and Gordian's Knot in mathematics?

These numbers and puzzles are commonly used in mathematical problem solving and critical thinking exercises. They serve as a way to test and improve one's logical reasoning skills.

2. How does one solve a 2x2 or 5x5 puzzle?

The key to solving these puzzles is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. Start by solving one side or one section of the puzzle, then work your way outwards. Practice and patience are key in mastering these puzzles.

3. What is the story behind Gordian's Knot?

Gordian's Knot is a legend from Greek mythology about a knot that was impossible to untangle. According to the legend, Alexander the Great solved the impossible knot by simply cutting it with his sword, demonstrating his cleverness and ingenuity.

4. Why are 2x2 and 5x5 puzzles popular in brain teasers and games?

These puzzles are popular because they are challenging yet achievable. They require logical thinking and problem-solving skills, making them a fun and engaging activity for people of all ages.

5. Can solving 2x2 and 5x5 puzzles improve cognitive abilities?

Yes, solving these puzzles can improve cognitive abilities such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and spatial awareness. It can also help improve memory and concentration skills.