Energy required to heat a house with insulated walls

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the energy required to increase the temperature of a diatomic gas in a well-insulated house. The heat capacity and temperature difference are given, but the number of moles needs to be found. The pressure can be assumed to be 1 atmosphere and the gas constant, R, is a constant that can be looked up. The temperature is given as 300K. The formula PV=nRT is mentioned, but the focus is on finding the number of moles to solve the problem.
physicnow
I have an problem that can not solve, any help would greatly appreciated.

A house has well-insulated walls.It contains a volume of 100m3 of air at 300K. Calculate the energy required to increase the temperature of this diatomic gas by 2 degree celsius. Assume it is heating at constant pressure and use Cp=7R/2.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's stopping YOU from solving it? You've got a heat capacity, you've got a temp difference. What more could you want? Oh, yeah, maybe the number of moles?

Thanks Dick, that's problem I couldn't solve for the number of moles. I know the formula

PV=nRT, the problem here, how can I find P & R? P is constant? T is 275 right? or Delta T is 275, make me confuse... the answer is:118KJ,236KJ,354KJ,472KJ
I don't get any the right one. please help

They are talking about a 'house'. I think you can assume the pressure is 1 atmosphere. You don't 'find' R. It's a constant. You look it up. The problem you quoted says T=300K.

Hi Dick,

I wonder "Calculate the energy required to increase the temperature of this diatomic gas by 2 degree celsius. Assume it is heating at constant pressure and use Cp=7R/2."

They asked for the energy required to increase the temperature of this diatomis gas by 2 degree celsius. I got stuck in here.

(Change in energy)=(Heat capacity)*(change in temperature)*(amount of stuff). You are already given two quantities on the right side - you just need to find the amount of stuff. Number of moles, remember?

What is the science behind heating a house with insulated walls?

The science behind heating a house with insulated walls is based on the principle of heat transfer. Insulation materials, such as foam, fiberglass, or cellulose, work by slowing down the transfer of heat from one side of the wall to the other. This means that less energy is required to maintain a comfortable temperature inside the house.

How does insulation affect the energy required to heat a house?

Insulation helps reduce the amount of heat lost through the walls of a house. This means that less energy is required to maintain a consistent temperature inside the house. Without insulation, the heat from inside the house would escape through the walls, making it harder and more expensive to keep the house warm.

What factors influence the amount of energy required to heat a house with insulated walls?

There are several factors that can influence the amount of energy required to heat a house with insulated walls. These include the type and quality of insulation, the size and layout of the house, the outdoor temperature, and the efficiency of the heating system. Properly sealed windows and doors can also play a role in reducing the energy required for heating.

Is it more cost-effective to heat a house with insulated walls?

Yes, it is more cost-effective to heat a house with insulated walls. While there is an initial investment in installing insulation, it can greatly reduce the cost of heating in the long run. Insulation helps to keep the heat inside the house, which means that the heating system does not have to work as hard or use as much energy to maintain a comfortable temperature.

Are there any downsides to using insulation to heat a house?

The only potential downside to using insulation to heat a house is that it may not be as effective if the insulation is not installed properly. This can result in heat escaping through gaps or poorly insulated areas, leading to higher energy usage and costs. It is important to ensure that insulation is installed correctly and regularly maintained to ensure maximum energy efficiency.