Software/Hardware Errors on Startup

• Thread starter Kurdt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Errors
In summary, the PC is having a problem with starting up and errors with updates. I think its the hard drive, but I'm going to have to take it to be checked.
Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
My parents PC is having a problem I've never encountered before and I have no idea what could be causing it. Just wondering if anyone here had experienced anything similar.

The PC is running windows XP service pack 2. It seems to start up fine but when you sign into your desktop there are loads of application errors like Rundll32.exe and all the usual startup stuff. After that its unusable since windows explorer keeps crashing. Apparently before this occurred they were updating WMP 10 to WMP 11. Also the error box states there was an I/O error status in 0x000009c.

I've had a good look on the internet for similar problems but nothing is quite the same. Hopefully one of you guys will have some knowledge about what's happening :smile:

Anyway I'm thinking its either hard drive or memory but I haven't got any spares to test at the minute or something to do with that download. Any suggestions?

Computer science news on Phys.org
well, it could be just windows XP... re-installing it may solve your problem.

but before you do that, it's very easy to check if your RAM and H.D. are fine -
use Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html)
use memtest86 and one of the H.D. diagnostic tools...

Cool I'll give it a try.

Do you think XP system restore is enabled and you could use is to revert the system to a state preceding the perhaps problematic update (you can access it via safe mode if can't get it going after logged in)? If nothing hardware related is found. Then might continue doing a repair install using the XP setup disk as a next option (and don't know if you can get something going with the recovery console in this case, just a thought), although that's probably getting close to the effort of pulling a re-install (depending on how much stuff you've got in there ... and need to backup everything before starting those repair etc. operations).

I should of mentioned I tried a system restore from week before the update but the problem persisted.

Kurdt said:
My parents PC is having a problem I've never encountered before and I have no idea what could be causing it. Just wondering if anyone here had experienced anything similar.

The PC is running windows XP service pack 2. It seems to start up fine but when you sign into your desktop there are loads of application errors like Rundll32.exe and all the usual startup stuff. After that its unusable since windows explorer keeps crashing. Apparently before this occurred they were updating WMP 10 to WMP 11. Also the error box states there was an I/O error status in 0x000009c.

I've had a good look on the internet for similar problems but nothing is quite the same. Hopefully one of you guys will have some knowledge about what's happening :smile:

Anyway I'm thinking its either hard drive or memory but I haven't got any spares to test at the minute or something to do with that download. Any suggestions?

How old is the hard drive in that computer? The 0x000009c I/O error makes me want to think that there is a bad sector on the hard drive... corrupted data.

B. Elliott said:
How old is the hard drive in that computer? The 0x000009c I/O error makes me want to think that there is a bad sector on the hard drive... corrupted data.

Its only a couple of years old but I'm beginning to suspect the same. There were initial concerns with the hard disk when it was built. I'll be having another look tomorrow when I go there.

Have you tried starting up in safe mode and running the disk check under the Tools window. If XP doens't allow it during operation in Windows, it usually allows one to schedule it on startup.

I have a problem with bad RAM recently which could be consistent with a low number like 0x000009c.

I have tried it in safe mode and the same problem persists while in safe mode so I can't do anything. I'm now pretty sure its the hard disk but I'll find out tomorrow when I check it with the boot CD.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Well I have had another quick look earlier today at the PC and it does appear to be a hard drive problem. The motherboard is claiming the hard disk is bad and needs replacing on start up now so hopefully I can salvage the data and fit a new one at the weekend.

Thanks again for the suggestions I really was stumped to begin with.

With regard to RAM, I had to remove the memory stick, clean it (and dry it), and then replace. I had the computer running again for a few hours before it froze. It's replacement should arrive tomorrow.

If you get a new HD, you'll have to install the OS and Apps. I've done a copy of the XP to a new and larger HD, but the OS was already screwed up having had the XP SP2 update done on top of SP1. Not a good idea - but MS never warned people not to do that. That's the OS that's gone bad at home.

I think I'll just salvage the documents if i can then re-install everything rather than try and transfer the lot. I don't mind the extra time it takes. :smile:

Jump the bad HD to slave and put it in a docking station or caddy (USB).

A new HD can get a system with a fresh install which is the best way to start.

1. What causes software/hardware errors on startup?

Software/hardware errors on startup can be caused by a variety of factors, such as corrupt system files, outdated drivers, hardware malfunctions, or incompatible software. It can also be due to a virus or malware infection.

2. How can I troubleshoot software/hardware errors on startup?

To troubleshoot software/hardware errors on startup, you can try starting your computer in safe mode, run a system scan for viruses and malware, update your drivers and software, or perform a system restore to a previous working state. If the issue persists, you may need to seek professional technical support.

3. Can a software/hardware error on startup damage my computer?

In most cases, software/hardware errors on startup do not cause any physical damage to your computer. However, they can prevent your computer from functioning properly and may lead to data loss if not addressed promptly.

4. Is there a way to prevent software/hardware errors on startup?

While it is impossible to completely prevent software/hardware errors on startup, there are some steps you can take to minimize the risk. These include regularly updating your software and drivers, using reputable antivirus software, and avoiding downloading and installing suspicious programs from the internet.

5. Can software/hardware errors on startup be fixed without professional help?

In some cases, software/hardware errors on startup can be fixed without professional help by following troubleshooting steps or using system repair tools. However, if the issue is complex or persistent, it is best to seek assistance from a professional technician to avoid further complications.