Nernst Equation Applied to Half-Reactions

In summary, the Nernst equation can be used to calculate the reduction potential of half-reactions. In this example, the half-reaction of Cu2+ + 2e- --> Cu has a reduction potential of 0.34 V at 25°C. By using the Nernst equation, the calculated reduction potential for the half-cell Cu/Cu2+ (1.9×10-4 M) is 0.45 V. However, there may have been a mistake in the calculation as the final answer was marked incorrect. It was later realized that the value of Q needed to be flipped in the equation.
unhip_crayon
[SOLVED] Nernst Equation Applied to Half-Reactions

The Nernst equation can be applied to half-reactions.

Calculate the reduction potential (at 25°C) of the half-cell
Cu/Cu2+ (1.9×10-4 M).
(The half-reaction is Cu2+ + 2e- --> Cu. E° = 0.34 V)
0.34-[ (8.314)(298)/ (2)(96485)] * ln(1.9E-4)

This produces an answer of 0.45 V which I am confident is
the correct answer to this question but it says incorrect.
Am I approaching this question wrong, or doing the
calculations wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
kadostan@hotmail.com

add me i did this one already but i need help on another, maybe u can help me, and if u need any maybe i have gotten!:S!

Last edited:
^^ sent you an email

nevermind...I got it. Forgot Q had to be flipped. Thanks though

1. What is the Nernst Equation?

The Nernst Equation is an equation that relates the standard electrode potential of a half-reaction to the concentrations of the reactants and products in a solution. It is used to calculate the potential of a cell at non-standard conditions.

2. How is the Nernst Equation applied to half-reactions?

The Nernst Equation is applied to half-reactions by using the standard electrode potentials of each half-reaction and the concentrations of the reactants and products in the solution to calculate the cell potential at non-standard conditions.

3. What are half-reactions?

Half-reactions are the individual oxidation or reduction reactions that occur at each electrode in an electrochemical cell. They are represented by the reactants and products involved in the redox reaction, along with their corresponding standard electrode potentials.

4. Why is the Nernst Equation important in electrochemistry?

The Nernst Equation is important in electrochemistry because it allows for the calculation of cell potentials at non-standard conditions, which is necessary for understanding and predicting the behavior of electrochemical cells in real-world applications.

5. Can the Nernst Equation be used for all types of electrochemical cells?

Yes, the Nernst Equation can be used for all types of electrochemical cells, including galvanic cells, electrolytic cells, and concentration cells. It can also be used to determine the equilibrium constant for a redox reaction.