What is the solution to this relative motion problem?

In summary, the man in the question wants to end up exactly opposite of where he is on the west shore, and the question is asking for his actual motion or ground velocity. He must travel at some angle south of west in order to end up directly opposite of his starting position due to the river pushing him north. The two possible answers are B) and D), as one interpretation suggests going straight west and the other suggests traveling at an angle.
temaire

Homework Statement

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5571/kinematicslz1.jpg [Broken]
I asked my teacher to clarify this question a bit more, and she said that the man wanted to end up exactly opposite to where he was on the west shore, or in other words, parallel to where he was from the east shore.

Homework Equations

soh cah toa
[tex]a^{2} + b^2 = c^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the answer is B), because in order for him to end up exactly opposite of where he is, he must go west.
However, my teacher thinks that the answer is D). Who's right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help?

If he goes straight west, he won't land directly opposite of his starting position, since the river will have pushed him north. Therefore he must travel at some angle south of west.

Sorry, I meant to say that the man wanted to go straight west, so he had to go 10kkm/h at an angle. But the question is asking for the actual velocity, or in other words, the ground velocity, which is, as I think, 8.0 km/h west.

Yes, I suppose it depends on your interpretation of the question then.

Well it says actual motion.

1. What is relative motion?

Relative motion is the perceived motion of an object or person in relation to another object or person. It takes into account the observer's perspective and the movement of both objects.

2. How do you solve a relative motion problem?

To solve a relative motion problem, you must first identify the relative motion between the two objects or people. Then, use the relative velocities to calculate the displacement and time of each object. Finally, use these values to determine the relative position and time of the objects.

3. What is the difference between relative motion and absolute motion?

Relative motion takes into account the perspective of the observer and the movement of both objects, while absolute motion is based on fixed reference points in space. In other words, relative motion is relative to the observer's perspective, while absolute motion is independent of any observer.

4. Can relative motion be used in real-life situations?

Yes, relative motion is commonly used in real-life situations, such as in navigation, sports, and transportation. For example, pilots use relative motion calculations to determine the best route and time to travel in order to reach their destination.

5. What are some common applications of relative motion in science?

Relative motion is used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, astronomy, and biology. It is used to study the movement of objects in space, the behavior of particles, and the motion of organisms in their environment.