Constructing a Table. (Radioactivity)

In summary, the conversation is about constructing a table of results for a geiger muller counter and a radioactive isotope, and incorporating the inverse square law to measure intensity at varying distances. Some suggested table headings include Distance/cm, Count Rate/Activity, Background Count, and Corrected Count Rate. The suggestion to add a column of d^2 times Intensity and test its entries for consistency is also mentioned.
_Mayday_
NOTE: This is not homework, but if you feel it is in the wrong forum then move it. I didn't know a better forum that it could go in.

I want to construct a table of results (minus the results for now) that is related to how the count rate on a geiger muller counter varies with distance with a radioactive isotope. I would appreciate some suggestions of table headings. Here are a few I have already come up with, any thing you think I could add?

Distance/cm
Count Rate (or activity)
Background Count
Corrected Count rate

I would like to incorporate the inverse square law, but I am unsure how to do so. I want to measure the intensity or see how it varies. Would that just be [tex]\frac{1}{d^2}[/tex]

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a column of d^2 times Intensity. Test if its entries are constant for varying d.

thanx

1. What materials are needed to construct a table for studying radioactivity?

To construct a table for studying radioactivity, you will need a sturdy surface such as wood or metal, a measuring tape, a saw, screws or nails, a drill, and safety equipment such as gloves and goggles.

2. How should the table be designed for optimal use in studying radioactivity?

The table should have a flat and level surface to ensure accurate measurements. It should also be sturdy enough to hold heavy equipment and materials. Additionally, it should have enough space for the materials and equipment to be spread out and easily accessible.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when constructing a table for studying radioactivity?

It is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles while constructing the table to prevent any accidents. Additionally, make sure to use proper tools and techniques to minimize the risk of injury.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of the table for studying radioactivity?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to measure and mark the table carefully before cutting and assembling the materials. Double-check all measurements and use a level to ensure the table is flat. It is also helpful to have someone else double-check your work to catch any potential errors.

5. How can I make my radioactivity table more versatile for different experiments?

To make your table more versatile, consider adding adjustable shelves or drawers to hold different materials and equipment. You can also add features such as a built-in power source or a removable top for easy cleaning and customization for different experiments.