Back Pain & Fever: Is There a Connection?

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
In summary, there is a discussion about the relationship between back pains and fevers, particularly for those who already have existing back injuries. It has been observed that during this time of year, many people experience both the common cold and severe back problems. There is also a related thread on Sciatica started by Ivan in the medical sciences forum. The post has been locked and will be moved to that thread at a later time.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
I've always been aware that I have back muscles (they tend to let me know) but sometimes it gets really bad right before I get sick (I believe it's a fever: light-headed, body temperature never right (too hot or too cold).

Is there any obvious relationship between back pains and fevers, especially concerning a back that's already injured? Several people get the crud this time of year, but I'm the only one I know having severe back problems as well.

addendum:

apologies, I meant for this to go on medical sciences.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
There's a thread started by Ivan on this topic...started sometime in January IIRC (I don't have the time right now to go find it to link again...I think it's in the med sciences forum, but maybe this one). This seems to be a common question this year. I'm going to lock this one...the other thread can be continued (I will try to remember to move this post into that one later when I have time to look for it).

1. What causes back pain and fever to occur together?

There are several possible causes for back pain and fever occurring together, including viral or bacterial infections, autoimmune disorders, and musculoskeletal conditions. In some cases, the two symptoms may be unrelated and occur coincidentally.

2. Is back pain a common symptom of a fever?

Back pain is not always a symptom of a fever, but it can be a common symptom in some cases. For example, back pain is often seen in individuals with the flu, pneumonia, or urinary tract infections, which can also cause fever.

3. Can a fever cause back pain?

In some cases, a fever can cause back pain. This is often due to the body's immune response to fight off an infection, which can cause inflammation and pain in the back muscles.

4. Should I be concerned if I have both back pain and fever?

If you are experiencing both back pain and fever, it is best to consult a healthcare professional for an accurate diagnosis. While it may be a sign of a minor infection, it could also be a symptom of a more serious condition that requires medical attention.

5. How can back pain and fever be treated?

The treatment for back pain and fever will depend on the underlying cause. In some cases, over-the-counter pain relievers and rest may be enough to alleviate symptoms. However, if the cause is an infection, antibiotics or other medications may be necessary. Consulting a doctor is recommended for proper diagnosis and treatment.