Tax rebates to arrive earlier than expected

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    taxes
In summary, the Treasury Department has announced that they will be depositing rebate checks early, ahead of schedule. This stimulus package is complete B.S., and I would rather they just reduced my taxes by $600 for the year.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Woohoo, according to this, my check will be direct deposited into my bank account before May 5th. :approve: (I took the direct deposit option).

Those of you eagerly awaiting your tax rebate checks will rejoice at the Treasury Department's announcement that they're depositing the checks ahead of schedule. Their original announcement stated that May 2 would be rebate check opening day, but they've updated their schedule with the early start date of Monday, April 28.

If the IRS has your direct deposit information then your check will be deposited earlier than those who will receive their check in the mail.

The link has a schedule of dates.

http://www.savvysugar.com/1576586

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Lame, I don't get mine until the 12th based on my SSN.

Seriously though, this economic stimulus package is complete B.S. I'd rather they just reduced my taxes by $600 for the year.

Mech_Engineer said:
Lame, I don't get mine until the 12th based on my SSN.

Seriously though, this economic stimulus package is complete B.S. I'd rather they just reduced my taxes by $600 for the year.

I agree. I never liked the idea of the 'bonuses' to begin with. Looks like I won't be getting mine till July 4th.:grumpy:

Mech_Engineer said:
It comes to the same thing. You could just write yourself a check for $600 and save all the postage and handling costs.

They give something back today, but tomorrow they will take twice as much.

Since I didn't get a refund in the first place (which is good, it means I'm not letting the government hold too much of my money interest free), they can't direct deposit. Not that I'm quite clear on where I stand in this whole economic stimulus picture anyway. I'd like a $600 refund, but everything written about it makes it rather vague whether I'm in the group that would actually get it (usually I get nothing since I have no tax deductions...I mean children). If I get economically stimulated, I'll be thrilled to add it to my savings (it's my money anyway).

Moonbear said:
Since I didn't get a refund in the first place (which is good, it means I'm not letting the government hold too much of my money interest free), they can't direct deposit. Not that I'm quite clear on where I stand in this whole economic stimulus picture anyway. I'd like a $600 refund, but everything written about it makes it rather vague whether I'm in the group that would actually get it (usually I get nothing since I have no tax deductions...I mean children). If I get economically stimulated, I'll be thrilled to add it to my savings (it's my money anyway).
I know it's anyone that files a tax return, it doesn't matter if you paid or got a refund.

Evo said:
I know it's anyone that files a tax return, it doesn't matter if you paid or got a refund.

It didn't sound like that from the notices I got. It had all sorts of weird explanations about income ranges and getting complete vs partial refunds. Last time they gave back money, I didn't get anything...it seemed to go to people with kids and certain minimum incomes and I didn't qualify (or maybe I got some miniscule amount not worth remembering). I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.

Moonbear said:
It didn't sound like that from the notices I got. It had all sorts of weird explanations about income ranges and getting complete vs partial refunds. Last time they gave back money, I didn't get anything...it seemed to go to people with kids and certain minimum incomes and I didn't qualify (or maybe I got some miniscule amount not worth remembering). I'm not holding my breath waiting for it.
I believe that the formula is that the rebate decreases for the individual starting at $75,000 annual income. I know because the girl in the office next to me was worried until she realized for married people it was $150,000 and her husband doesn't work. Come to think of it, I don't know what, if anything I'll get back. :cry: Darn you MB!

Evo said:
I believe that the formula is that the rebate decreases for the individual starting at $75,000 annual income. I know because the girl in the office next to me was worried until she realized for married people it was $150,000 and her husband doesn't work. Come to think of it, I don't know what, if anything I'll get back. :cry: Darn you MB!

I'm not sure any two things I've read about it, even on IRS's site, say the same thing.

It also seems silly they couldn't just figure the formula right into your regular tax return and either factor it into your rebate or deduct from it what you owe, and save a step of processing. Instead of me writing them a check and then them sending me a check, why couldn't they have just sent me a check with the amount I owe already deducted (if I'm due a check...which I'm not sure, but if they built it into the tax return, I'd have an answer on that by now).

1. What are tax rebates and why are they being given out earlier?

Tax rebates are refunds given by the government to taxpayers. They are being given out earlier to provide financial relief to individuals and stimulate the economy during times of economic downturn or crisis.

2. Who is eligible to receive the tax rebates?

Eligibility for tax rebates varies by country and is usually based on income level, filing status, and other factors. In general, individuals who have filed their taxes and meet certain income requirements are eligible to receive tax rebates.

3. How will the early arrival of tax rebates affect the economy?

The early arrival of tax rebates can provide a boost to the economy by putting more money in the hands of consumers. This can lead to increased spending and stimulate economic growth. It can also provide a sense of financial security to individuals during times of economic uncertainty.

4. Will receiving the tax rebates earlier affect my tax return for next year?

No, receiving tax rebates earlier will not affect your tax return for the following year. Tax rebates are considered a refund of overpaid taxes from the previous year and do not impact your taxable income for the current year.

5. How can I track the status of my tax rebate?

The process for tracking the status of your tax rebate varies by country. In most cases, you can check the status online through the government's tax agency website or by contacting them directly. Make sure to have your tax information and personal details on hand when checking the status.