Solving for Speed: Chip Dipped in Dip w/ Radius .5m

In summary, the problem involves a chip being dipped into dip and traveling through a circular motion with a radius of 0.5m. The chip has a flavor crystal on it and is subjected to twice the normal gravity. The goal is to find the speed of the chip at the bottom of the dip, neglecting the mass of the chip. The correct calculation is to use the equation for centripetal force (Fc=mv^2/r) and set it equal to the force of gravity (mg). However, the mass of the chip is not given and needs to be determined. The problem also mentions a fluid motion from the bag, through the dip, and up to the mouth, but it is unclear how this relates to
bigdaddy

Homework Statement

a chip is dipped into dip and bottoms out in a circle with radius r. A flavor crystal on the chip is put under twice the normal gravity. If r = .5m, how fast is the chip traveling at the bottom of the dip. Neglect the mass of the chip.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is taking 9.8 *2 which is 19.6 m/s. Is this correct? It seems to easy. But don't we need to take into account the mass of the chip?

Physics news on Phys.org
bigdaddy said:

Homework Statement

a chip is dipped into dip and bottoms out in a circle with radius r. A flavor crystal on the chip is put under twice the normal gravity. If r = .5m, how fast is the chip traveling at the bottom of the dip. Neglect the mass of the chip.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is taking 9.8 *2 which is 19.6 m/s. Is this correct? It seems to easy. But don't we need to take into account the mass of the chip?
The acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s2, not m/s and is not a velocity. In any case, "is put under twice the normal gravity" refers to a force not acceleration.

I frankly don't understand the problem- unless it is a very awkward way of asking what velocity something will have after starting from 0 velocity and moving 0.5 m at acceleration 19.6 m/s2. If that is the case, you need equations for velocity and distance with constant acceleration. How long will it take to go .5 m with constant 19.6 m/s2 acceleration? How will the velocity have changed in that time?

(Chip and dip? And the bowl of dip has a 50 cm radius? How big is the bottle of beer?)

I didnt understand the problem myself. I asked the guy who made the problem up (another student) and he explained what he was asking. now i understand. He meant to say basically it is a fluid motion from bag down through dip and up to mouth. the dipping motion has the .5m radius. He was saying Fc=mv^2/r ==> Fc=mg ==> netforce = 2mg-mg=mg. Only thing i don't understand now is what is the mass? Do i make something up? Another thing is that just tells me the centriputal force on the chip it doesn't really tell me how fast it is going.

Not just how big the beer is but what kind? also, i just figured out on this post how to get the ^ in. Dont think i have ever seen that on the keyboard. I know its 9.8m/s^2 i just didnt see that neat little symbol above the 6. haha

1. How do you calculate the speed of a chip dipped in dip with a radius of 0.5m?

The speed of the chip can be calculated using the formula v = rω, where v is the linear speed, r is the radius of the dip, and ω is the angular speed of the chip.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the speed of the chip?

The unit of measurement for the speed of the chip will depend on the unit used for the radius and angular speed. Typically, the unit for speed is meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

3. How does the radius of the dip affect the speed of the chip?

The radius of the dip directly affects the speed of the chip. The larger the radius, the faster the chip will move due to the longer distance it travels in the same amount of time.

4. Can the speed of the chip be increased by changing the radius of the dip?

Yes, the speed of the chip can be increased by changing the radius of the dip. As mentioned in the previous answer, a larger radius will result in a faster speed. However, there may be other factors at play such as the viscosity and density of the dip.

5. Is there a maximum speed that the chip can reach while being dipped in dip with a radius of 0.5m?

The maximum speed of the chip will depend on various factors such as the viscosity and density of the dip, as well as the initial velocity of the chip. It is not possible to determine a maximum speed without taking all these factors into account.