Dirac Delta Function - unfamiliar definition

In summary, the Dirac delta function has standard definitions where it is equal to zero everywhere except at a, where it is infinity. It also has a definition involving exponentials, where it is proportional to the Fourier transform of the constant function equal to 1. However, the Fourier transform is defined in terms of distributions rather than standard functions. The Dirac delta function is also the derivative of the Heaviside function in the sense of distributions.
Orad
Given:

[tex]f(x)=\delta(x-a)[/tex]

Other than the standard definitions where f(x) equals zero everywhere except at a, where it's infinity, and that:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(x)\delta(x-a)\,dx=g(a)[/tex]

Is there some kind of other definition involving exponentials, like:

[tex]\int e^{ix(k'-k)}d^3x=\delta^3(k'-k)[/tex]

I remember learning something about this, but can't find a proof of it in any textbook or online at the moment, and I don't trust my memory enough to know if this is precise. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, the dirac delta function is proportional to the Fourier transform of the constant function equal to 1. You actually get [itex](2\pi)^3\delta^3(k)[/itex].
To be rigorous, the Fourier transform is defined in terms of distributions and not just standard functions. It is not a standard Riemann integral, although physicists often treat it as such.

The proof could go like the following. If f is a Fourier transformable function with transform [itex]\hat f[/itex]
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\int f(x) \left(\int e^{ixy}\,dy\right)\,dx
&=
\int \left(\int e^{ixy}f(x)\,dx\right)\,dy\\
&= \int \hat f(y) dy
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Using z=0, the last line is
[tex]
\int \hat f(y)e^{-iyz}\,dy = 2\pi f(z)=2\pi f(0)
[/tex]
-- using the inverse Fourier transform. Compare this to [itex]\int f(x)\delta(x)\,dx = f(0)[/itex].

This is a bit sketchy, because the integral of [itex]e^{ixy}[/itex] doesn't make sense using the Riemann integral.

Also, the delta function is the derivative of the Heaviside function f(x)=1{x>0}, in the sense of distributions.

Last edited:
Check out this thread for a very non-rigorous argument.

Wow... Irrelevant, but that nicksauce guy who started the other thread is a good friend of mine in RL. I'm going to call him now!

Ha, small world.

Oh, and I understood the (false) justifications, thanks.

Lol small world indeed

1. What is the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, also known as the Dirac delta distribution, is a mathematical function that is used to describe point-like sources or concentrations of energy or mass in physics and engineering. It was introduced by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s.

2. How is the Dirac Delta Function defined?

The Dirac Delta Function is defined as a generalized function, or distribution, that is equal to zero everywhere except at the origin, where it is infinite. It is often represented by the symbol δ and is defined mathematically as δ(x) = 0 for x ≠ 0 and ∫-∞δ(x)dx = 1.

3. What is the purpose of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function is used to simplify mathematical expressions and make calculations easier, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It allows for the representation of point-like sources or impulses in physical systems, such as electrons or photons, and is also used in signal processing and control systems.

4. Is the Dirac Delta Function a real function?

No, the Dirac Delta Function is not a real function in the traditional sense. It is a mathematical abstraction that is used to describe physical phenomena. However, it can be interpreted as a limit of a sequence of real functions and is often treated as a real function in calculations.

5. What are the properties of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function has several important properties, including the sifting property, which states that ∫-∞f(x)δ(x-a)dx = f(a), where f(x) is a continuous function. It also has a scaling property, where δ(ax) = 1/|a|δ(x), and a symmetry property, where δ(-x) = δ(x).