Paralyzing fear of forgetfulness

• Thread starter Wretchosoft
  • Start date
In summary: But you don't need to remember them all. Try to remember the most important ones and then you can look up the rest.In summary, the person is very fearful of forgetting math concepts and has developed an obsessive compulsive behavior of constantly revisiting them to make sure they are not forget.
Wretchosoft
I don't know whether these particular anxieties will sound reasonable or ridiculous, but I would like to know if there is some way of minimizing them. I am very hesitant to pick up math books and learn the concepts in them because I fear I will forget all of the material I read about. It's a completely irrational fear, as I've proven myself very capable in all of the math classes I've taken, and my recall is very strong. Yet I still find myself, late at night, suddenly thinking that I might have forgotten, say, the formulas for the derivatives of elementary functions, so I will run through the entire list to make sure I remember everything. Every week or so I imagine myself thinking I've forgotten conic sections, so I run through all of the details of those in my head. And so on. Every time it is something I already know (and can recall) that worries me. It's gotten past being a "good study habit" and is becoming a real pain, as it happens quite often.

I also do this with novels sometimes, thinking I've forgotten everything about them. Anyone else run into similar issues?

Physics news on Phys.org
well.. so what if you forget? You can always revise them when the need arises.

So for me, I don't really care about forgetting stuff, if I don't use it much, no point remembering it.

sounds a little obsessive compulsive. pretty common, actually.

Oerg said:
well.. so what if you forget? You can always revise them when the need arises.

So for me, I don't really care about forgetting stuff, if I don't use it much, no point remembering it.

Yeah, but... it's math, I have to remember EVERYTHING, or else how am I going to have the tools to solve problems I encounter?

I don't know, I'm very fascinated with mathematics, but every time something slips out of my mind it feels awful, like I wasted my time learning it. Very irrational.

I think that's wrong. You don't need to remember everything. Trying to remember everything is a bit against the philosophy of mathematics study. You have to be able to make a reasoning, and for this you don't need to know everything. The only thing you need to remember is where you can find the information you need, and some basic information.

The most important part is to understand all the mathematics you study. If you understand them well, it's very easy to read them again and to use them.

Wretchosoft said:
Yeah, but... it's math, I have to remember EVERYTHING, or else how am I going to have the tools to solve problems I encounter?

I don't know, I'm very fascinated with mathematics, but every time something slips out of my mind it feels awful, like I wasted my time learning it. Very irrational.

There was a mathematician who had a terrible memory. He proved a theorem and forgot it while he was trying to explain it to a group of people. One of them had read his paper and had to help him remember his own theorem!

Wretchosoft said:

You just have to remember concepts. There are tables of common antiderivatives and such for a reason.

1. What is paralyzing fear of forgetfulness?

Paralyzing fear of forgetfulness, also known as athazagoraphobia, is an anxiety disorder characterized by an intense and irrational fear of forgetting important information or memories.

2. What are the symptoms of paralyzing fear of forgetfulness?

The symptoms of paralyzing fear of forgetfulness may include extreme anxiety, panic attacks, difficulty concentrating, racing thoughts, and avoidance of situations that may trigger forgetfulness.

3. What causes paralyzing fear of forgetfulness?

The exact cause of paralyzing fear of forgetfulness is unknown, but it may be triggered by a traumatic or stressful event, a family history of anxiety disorders, or a chemical imbalance in the brain.

4. How is paralyzing fear of forgetfulness treated?

Treatment for paralyzing fear of forgetfulness may involve therapy, medication, or a combination of both. Cognitive-behavioral therapy can help individuals identify and challenge negative thought patterns, while medication can help manage symptoms.

5. Can paralyzing fear of forgetfulness be cured?

While there is no specific cure for paralyzing fear of forgetfulness, it can be effectively managed with proper treatment. With therapy and/or medication, individuals can learn to cope with their fears and live a fulfilling life.