DGLAP g-g splitting function?

In summary, a recent PhD particle experimentalist is looking for a good source to understand the P_gg splitting function in the Altarelli-Parisi/DGLAP evolution equations. After struggling with the notation in the original paper, they found the solution by studying various resources such as Peskin & Schroeder's Field Theory and the 3-gluon vertex Feynman rule.
Sideways
Hi -

this is my first post. I'm a recent PhD particle experimentalist; though I'm trying to get a better understanding of underlying theory in my spare time (I hope to contribute more here later).

My question - does anyone know a good source for a derivation of the P_gg (gluon-gluon) splitting function in the Altarelli-Parisi/DGLAP evolution equations? This hasn't been an easy thing to come by. I've worked through solutions for P_qq, P_qg and P_gq ; P_gg is apparently considerably trickier, and explicit solutions seem accordingly more difficult to come by.

I've looked at Altarelli, Parisi's original paper, and I'm having trouble with the notation; I'm wondering if there's a (newer?) textbook out there that works this out explicitly.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind - figured it out! (Sifting through the 1977 paper by Altarelli/Parisi, Peskin & Schroeder's Field Theory, and the 3-gluon vertex Feynman rule eventually confessed the right answer.)

Hi there, congratulations on your recent PhD! As a theoretical physicist, I can definitely understand your desire to have a better understanding of the underlying theory. The DGLAP evolution equations are a fundamental tool in understanding the behavior of parton distribution functions (PDFs) in high-energy collisions.

To answer your question, the DGLAP g-g splitting function was first derived by Altarelli and Parisi in their 1977 paper "Asymptotic Freedom in Parton Language." However, as you mentioned, the notation and derivation in this paper can be difficult to follow.

A more accessible resource for the derivation of the P_gg splitting function is the book "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael Peskin and Daniel Schroeder. Chapter 19 specifically covers the DGLAP equations and includes a detailed derivation of the P_gg splitting function.

Additionally, the book "QCD and Collider Physics" by Keith Ellis, John Campbell, and William Stirling also has a clear and concise explanation of the derivation of the P_gg splitting function in Chapter 4.

I hope these resources will be helpful in your understanding of the DGLAP equations and the g-g splitting function. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is the DGLAP g-g splitting function?

The DGLAP (Dokshitzer-Gribov-Lipatov-Altarelli-Parisi) g-g splitting function is a mathematical formula that describes the probability of a gluon splitting into two gluons during a high-energy interaction. It is an important tool in studying the behavior of gluons in quantum chromodynamics (QCD).

2. What is the significance of the DGLAP g-g splitting function?

The DGLAP g-g splitting function is significant because it helps us understand the dynamics of strong interactions between particles, particularly the behavior of gluons. This is important in studying the structure of hadrons and in making predictions about high-energy collisions in particle accelerators.

3. How is the DGLAP g-g splitting function calculated?

The DGLAP g-g splitting function is calculated using perturbative QCD techniques. This involves solving complex equations that describe the interactions between particles at high energies. The calculations are performed using sophisticated computer programs and require a deep understanding of quantum field theory and group theory.

4. Can the DGLAP g-g splitting function be experimentally verified?

Yes, the DGLAP g-g splitting function can be experimentally verified through high-energy particle collisions. Experiments such as those conducted at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) have confirmed the predictions made by the DGLAP equation, providing evidence for the validity of this theoretical framework.

5. Are there any limitations to the DGLAP g-g splitting function?

Like any theoretical framework, the DGLAP g-g splitting function has its limitations. It is based on perturbative calculations, which means it is most accurate at high energies. At lower energies, non-perturbative effects can significantly affect the behavior of gluons, making the predictions of the DGLAP equation less reliable. Additionally, the DGLAP equation does not take into account the effects of strong nuclear forces, which can complicate the behavior of gluons in some situations.