Covalent Bonding and Bonding Order

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Covalent bonding and bonding order, and the search for examples of triple bonds or higher. The question is raised about the existence of quadruple bonds, which the speaker was not aware of until searching online. A Wikipedia article is suggested as a source for further understanding.
KawaiiKumi
I know what Covalent bonding is... and i know what bonding order is. I couldn't think of anything where there is a triple bond or higher... I just wanted to see if anyone could come up with a few examples. Thanks~ ^_~

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you asking for examples of triple bonds?
Your googlage skills got you to this site but you weren't able to google 'quadruple bond'?

Wow I just learned quadruple bonds exist. I thought the maximum was a triple. And yes your right once you google quadruple you will get a wikipedia link to a very short article. But explains it pretty well.

1. What is a covalent bond?

A covalent bond is a type of chemical bond where two atoms share one or more pairs of electrons in order to achieve a more stable configuration. This sharing of electrons creates a bond between the two atoms.

2. How is a covalent bond different from an ionic bond?

A covalent bond involves sharing of electrons between two atoms, while an ionic bond involves the transfer of electrons from one atom to another. Additionally, covalent bonds typically occur between nonmetal atoms, while ionic bonds occur between a metal and a nonmetal.

3. What is bonding order?

Bonding order is a measure of the number of bonds between two atoms in a molecule. It is determined by counting the number of shared electron pairs between the atoms.

4. How is bonding order related to bond strength?

In general, a higher bonding order indicates a stronger bond between two atoms. This is because a higher bonding order means that more electrons are being shared between the atoms, making the bond stronger.

5. Can bonding order change in a molecule?

Yes, bonding order can change in a molecule. This can happen through the process of resonance, where the electrons in a molecule are delocalized or spread out among different possible structures. In this case, the bonding order can vary between the different resonance structures.