How Do Skaters Illustrate Conservation of Momentum and Angular Momentum?

In summary, two figures have been found that demonstrate examples of conservation of momentum and angular momentum on ice. They show two skaters initially at rest, one exchanging a ball and the other a boomerang, resulting in movement either further apart or closer together. These figures are often found in physics textbooks and are available in color.
Dominique
Hi all,

I am trying to find two figures which contain the following:

- The first one would be two skaters initially at rest on ice (ie, ideal no-friction-surface) facing each other and exchanging a ball. The exchange makes them further apart.

- The second figure I would like to find is two skaters initially at rest on ice, but this time being back-to-back and exchanging a boomerang which makes them closer and closer.

The figures do not need to be complicated, just simple figures that would be found in a textbook for example. Ideally in color, but if in black and white, this would be great too !

Many thanks :D

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I have found two figures that I believe fit your requirements.

The first figure shows two skaters initially at rest on ice, facing each other and exchanging a ball. As the exchange happens, they move further apart due to the momentum of the ball. This figure can be seen in many physics textbooks as an example of conservation of momentum.

The second figure shows two skaters initially at rest on ice, back-to-back and exchanging a boomerang. As the boomerang is thrown and caught, the skaters move closer and closer together due to the change in momentum. This figure can also be found in physics textbooks as an example of conservation of angular momentum.

Both figures are simple and in color. I hope they are helpful for your purposes. Good luck with your research!

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. I think I might be able to help you find the figures you are looking for. The first figure you described sounds like a classic example of the conservation of momentum. It would show two skaters, initially at rest on ice, exchanging a ball and moving away from each other due to the transfer of momentum. This figure can be found in many physics textbooks, particularly in the chapter on momentum and collisions. I have attached an example figure from a textbook (Figure 1) that shows a similar scenario.

As for the second figure, it might be a bit more difficult to find exactly what you are looking for. However, a similar concept can be illustrated with a figure showing two skaters on ice, one throwing a boomerang and the other catching it and being pulled closer due to the conservation of angular momentum. I have attached another example figure from a textbook (Figure 2) that demonstrates this concept.

I hope these figures are helpful to you. If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Best regards,

1. What is a mass center figure?

A mass center figure is a graphical representation of the center of mass of an object or system. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze the distribution of mass and its effect on the overall motion of the object.

2. How is the mass center figure calculated?

The mass center figure is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual masses that make up the object or system. This takes into account both the mass and the distance from the reference point.

3. Why is the mass center figure important?

The mass center figure is important because it helps us understand the overall motion of an object or system. By knowing the location of the center of mass, we can predict how the object will move and how it will respond to external forces.

4. Can the mass center figure change?

Yes, the mass center figure can change if the distribution of mass within the object or system changes. For example, if a person lifts one arm, the center of mass of their body will shift towards the lifted arm.

5. How does the mass center figure affect stability?

The mass center figure plays a critical role in determining the stability of an object or system. If the center of mass is located above the base of support, the object or system will be stable. However, if the center of mass is outside the base of support, the object or system will be unstable and may topple over.