Entropy Change in a Carnot Engine

In summary, a Carnot engine operating between 2 reservoirs with temperatures 1000K and 280K has a work output of 1kJ per cycle. The efficiency of the engine is 72%, and the change in entropy of the gas per cycle due to heat transfer at the hot reservoir can be calculated using the formula \Delta S = \frac{Q_h}{T_2} by knowing the work output and efficiency of the engine. The question may be asking specifically for the change in entropy during the isothermal heat absorption part of the cycle.
lms_89

Homework Statement

A Carnot engine using a gas operates between 2 reservoirs of temperatures 1000K and 280K. The work output per cycle is 1kJ.
a) What is the efficiency?
b) What is the entropy change of the gas per cycle due to the heat transfer at the hot reservoir?

Homework Equations

[tex] \eta_{carnot} = 1 - \frac{Q_{1}}{Q_{2}} = 1 - \frac{T_{1}}{T_{2}} [/tex]

[tex] \Delta S = \int \frac{dQ}{T} [/tex]

[tex] \Delta U = W_{on} + Q_{in} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Seems easy enough, I got 72%.
b) I think you just use the entropy formula above, which goes to S = Q_in / T_2 (never used Latex before, and wasn't working here - don't have time to work out why!). If internal energy, U, is zero then heat in equals negative work done on the gas (ie. -1kJ) due to the 1st law. In that case I get the change in entropy to be 1.. which just doesn't seem right. Can anyone comment/help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm curious about what answer would "seem right"... OK, does heat in really equal work out? Isn't some energy also rejected to the cold reservoir?

I guess I'm not sure what answer would 'seem right'!

Perhaps some energy does go to the cold reservoir, but I don't know how you would do that. This is a past exam question on the 'easy'/bookwork section of the paper designed to get everyone some marks, so the questions are generally quite simple, so I get the feeling that needing to take the cold reservoir into account would make the question too complicated :confused:

lms_89 said:
Perhaps some energy does go to the cold reservoir, but I don't know how you would do that.

What are [itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex] in the equation you wrote?

Mapes said:
What are [itex]Q_1[/itex] and [itex]Q_2[/itex] in the equation you wrote?

I used the temperatures to calculate the efficiency, just wrote down the Q version of the formula because I thought it might be relevant, but am not sure how you can use it considering you know neither of the values. Obviously you can say Q_1/Q_2 = T_1/T_2 = 0.28 though.

Part b) is a rather odd question. The change in entropy of the gas in one cycle is 0 since it returns to its original state after a complete cycle. That occurs whether or not it is a Carnot cycle. So the question must be asking: what is the change in entropy resulting from the absorption of heat from the hot reservoir only, without regard to the rest of the cycle.

Since a Carnot cycle uses 1. isothermal heat absorption followed by 2. adiabatic expansion, then 3. isothermal heat release and finally 4. adiabatic compression, you are asked only for the change of entropy in 1 (as it is the only part in which heat flowed into the gas). To find that, all you have to know is Qh. You get that from the efficiency and the work output that is given.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Part b) is a rather odd question. The change in entropy of the gas in one cycle is 0 since it returns to its original state after a complete cycle. That occurs whether or not it is a Carnot cycle. So the question must be asking: what is the change in entropy resulting from the absorption of heat from the hot reservoir only, without regard to the rest of the cycle.

Since a Carnot cycle uses 1. isothermal heat absorption followed by 2. adiabatic expansion, then 3. isothermal heat release and finally 4. adiabatic compression, you are asked only for the change of entropy in 1 (as it is the only part in which heat flowed into the gas). To find that, all you have to know is Qh. You get that from the efficiency and the work output that is given.

AM

What is your h representing? Also though I have Q_1 and Q_2, so which would it be and how would I get it from the efficiency since surely I only know the ratio of the two Q values?

Thanks both of you for your help so far, by the way.

Andrew Mason said:
So the question must be asking: what is the change in entropy resulting from the absorption of heat from the hot reservoir only, without regard to the rest of the cycle.

Definitely.

lms_89 said:
Also though I have Q_1 and Q_2, so which would it be and how would I get it from the efficiency since surely I only know the ratio of the two Q values?

You also know the difference between the two values. Of the energy coming in, what isn't sent to the cold reservoir must be output as work.

lms_89 said:
What is your h representing? Also though I have Q_1 and Q_2, so which would it be and how would I get it from the efficiency since surely I only know the ratio of the two Q values?

Thanks both of you for your help so far, by the way.
The efficiency is W/Qh. So you can easily find Qh given efficiency and W. With Qh and T you can work out the entropy. (I am using Qh as the heat flow from the hot reservoir).

AM

1. What is the definition of entropy change in a Carnot Engine?

Entropy change in a Carnot Engine is a measure of the change in disorder or randomness of a system as it goes through a thermodynamic process. It is a mathematical representation of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time.

2. How is entropy change calculated in a Carnot Engine?

Entropy change in a Carnot Engine is calculated using the equation: ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat absorbed or released by the system, and T is the temperature at which the heat transfer occurs. This equation is based on the fact that entropy is directly proportional to the amount of heat transferred and inversely proportional to the temperature.

3. What is the significance of entropy change in a Carnot Engine?

The significance of entropy change in a Carnot Engine lies in its relation to the efficiency of the engine. The higher the entropy change, the lower the efficiency of the engine. This is because a larger amount of heat is wasted as the system becomes more disordered, leading to a decrease in the useful work output of the engine.

4. Can entropy change be negative in a Carnot Engine?

No, entropy change cannot be negative in a Carnot Engine. This is due to the fact that the second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases. Therefore, the entropy change in a Carnot Engine can only be zero or positive.

5. How does the efficiency of a Carnot Engine relate to entropy change?

The efficiency of a Carnot Engine is directly related to the entropy change. In fact, the maximum efficiency of a Carnot Engine occurs when the entropy change is zero, meaning that there is no waste heat and the system is reversible. As the entropy change increases, the efficiency of the engine decreases.