Find Protective Relays for 3 Phase 120/208 Volt Generator System

• Thread starter Josh111
  • Start date
You can also do some research on modern relays as they often combine multiple functions in one relay, such as overvoltage, undervoltage, overfrequency, underfrequency, loss of phase, and overcurrent protection. Some examples of modern relays that meet your desired specifications are the 710 series from SEL. In summary, if you are looking for protective relays for your generator system, it is recommended to contact suppliers and consider modern relays that combine multiple functions in one unit for longer lifetimes.
Josh111
I am trying to get the necessary protective relays for my generator system and I do not want to use relays with a electromechanical output relay as this does not last as long. I am trying to locate these and am having some trouble with it. Is there anyone who knows about this?
The following relays will need the following specs:
3 phase 120/208 volt system prefer no coil voltage necessary but 12/24 volt if necessary.
Adlustable trip time and adjustable automatic reset time. Need two poles each that open on fault.
Overvoltage
Undervoltage
Overfrequency
Underfrequency
Loss of phase
Overcurrent

Engineering news on Phys.org
Modern relays often combine several of those functions in one relay. For example: https://cdn.selinc.com/assets/Literature/Product%20Literature/Data%20Sheets/710_DS_20190508.pdf?v=20190614-202607

You should contact your suppliers, explain your concern about lifetimes, and listen to their recommendations.

1. What are protective relays in a 3 phase 120/208 volt generator system?

Protective relays are devices that are used to monitor and protect electrical systems by detecting abnormal conditions such as overloading, short circuits, or ground faults. In a 3 phase 120/208 volt generator system, protective relays are responsible for detecting and isolating any faults that may occur within the system.

2. Why are protective relays necessary in a 3 phase 120/208 volt generator system?

Protective relays are necessary in a 3 phase 120/208 volt generator system because they help prevent electrical failures and protect the system from damage. They also help ensure the safety of personnel by quickly shutting down the system in case of an emergency.

3. How do I choose the right protective relays for a 3 phase 120/208 volt generator system?

Choosing the right protective relays for a 3 phase 120/208 volt generator system involves considering factors such as the type of system, the expected load, and the level of protection required. It is important to consult with a professional and carefully evaluate the system's needs before selecting the appropriate protective relays.

4. Can protective relays be used in other types of generator systems?

Yes, protective relays can be used in various types of generator systems, including single-phase, split-phase, and 3 phase systems. However, the specific type and configuration of protective relays may differ depending on the system's voltage, frequency, and other factors.

5. How often should protective relays be tested and maintained in a 3 phase 120/208 volt generator system?

Protective relays should be tested and maintained on a regular basis to ensure they are functioning properly and providing adequate protection. This can vary depending on the manufacturer's recommendations, but it is generally recommended to perform annual testing and maintenance for 3 phase 120/208 volt generator systems.