Understanding Schwarzschild Geometry: Math & Physics Requirements

In summary, to obtain the curvature components of Schwarzschild geometry, you need to be familiar with elementary differentiation and formulas for the components of the Schwarzschild metric and the components of the Riemann tensor. This process is lengthy, but plug and chug.
To make a long story short I'm suppose to be learning how to "obtain non-zero curvature components of Schwarzschild geometry". However, I'm not sure what all that entails (tensors? differential geometry?). So any advice on what level of math/physics will be needed would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a nice introduction to the curvature tensor in 2D in Chapter 7 "Riemann's counting argument" of Richard Koch's differential geometry notes (you can generalise it to 4D yourself): http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/

So obtaining those non-zero curvature components does in fact require tensors and differential geometry?

No, just elementary differentiation and formulas (components of the Schwarzschild metric and the components of the Riemann tensor in terms of the components of an arbitrary metric). But it will probably seem meaningless without basic differential geometry.

Okay - here is my situation:

I'm in 11th grade and I'm only now starting Single Variable Calculus, so I don't have the mathematical background to handle differential geometry. I'm trying to learn how to obtain the curvature components of Schwarzschild geometry in order to work on a research project with a professor. So I don't need rigorous maths just enough to get me by. Is there a link or book which I could use to learn about obtaining the curvature components?

Quick rough explanation: mass-energy curves spacetime. In curved spacetime you cannot setup spacetime coordinate axes that are at "right angles" to each other everywhere. But of course, maybe spacetime is not curved and you just happened to use crooked coordinates. The Riemann curvature tensor tells you whether spacetime is really curved, or whether youu just happened to use strange coordinates.

So the Riemann tensor is a geometric invariant.

An analogy of an invariant in 2D flat space Euclidean geometry: depending on how you rotate your coordinates a vector could be (x,y) or (xb,yb) - but the length x^2+y^2=xb^2+yb^2 is a geometric invariant.

A caution - in flat space there are position vectors and velocity vectors. In curved space there are only velocity vectors.

The link seems to be very informative: however right now the matrices, vectors, and tensors are completely greek to me, including equation 7.15. I have some limited exposure to the Schwarzschild metric, but nothing like this =D

So is the process by which you obtain the curvature components lengthy? Or is it a plug and chug sort of thing?

Sorry, if I'm missing something you already explained...

If you have the Schwarzschild metric components, you basically just differentiate them twice to get the Riemann curvature components - it's lengthy but plug and chug.

But c'mon - are you telling me you don't know what a velocity vector is?

I know what a velocity vector is (like plane old 2-D; the ones you learn about in pre-cal)... but I haven't taken vector calculus yet, and I have no idea about manifolds.

The bare bones is supplied in Equations 7.13-7.15 in the link atty supplied. What is missing is how to obtain the Christoffel connection, gamma from g and how to obtain the Riemann tensor, R from gamma, and lastely how to contract the Riemann tensor to the Ricci tensor.

So if you find the missing equations (4.86 and 3.67 in the same paper), that would be halfway there, but you would need to apply index notation to get from one to the other.

...or there's eq. 3.77 which defines the Riemann tensor in terms of the metric for you. Now you still have the mysterious elements that look like subscipted partial derivative operators--and in fact, they are.

[tex]\partial_{\mu} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x^{\mu}}[/tex]

However, once you have the Reimann tensor, or the Einsten tensor derived from it, it might be nice to look at, but I don't think it would give you much sense of what curvature is like in the Schwazchild metric.

Last edited:
23571113 said:
I know what a velocity vector is (like plane old 2-D; the ones you learn about in pre-cal)... but I haven't taken vector calculus yet, and I have no idea about manifolds.

Ok, then in principle you know everything. I don't think there's anything markedly different about vector calculus. A manifold is just something you can put smooth coordinates on. A matrix transforms one vector into another one. Take your time and read Martin's book. Or maybe Phrak can help you out more. :smile:

atyy said:
Ok, then in principle you know everything. I don't think there's anything markedly different about vector calculus. A manifold is just something you can put smooth coordinates on. A matrix transforms one vector into another one. Take your time and read Martin's book. Or maybe Phrak can help you out more. :smile:

Ha! Or maybe you can, and I should escape this thread. I'm up to your tricks :smile:

I realize that it it will probably seem meaningless to obtain the components of Schwarzschild geometry without some differential geometry. However, as mentioned above I'm trying to learn this for a research project - I'm not endeavoring to self-study the material in order to gain complete knowledge or understanding of the subject. So my professor has told me that the next "step" for me (before I can start the actual research) is getting the ability to obtain the curvature components - whether or not I understand them is another story. I'm currently taking single variable calculus at my high school, and I would like to learn the rest of the necessary (to obtain the curvature components) math during next summer. Would vector calculus be enough? Or do I need to take differential equations and or linear algebra? Also do I need to learn those maths completely or could I pick out a smaller portion?

I know this isn't the ideal way to learn physics - but right now I'm just trying to become competent enough to do a research project. I definitely plan on learning these subjects correctly at university.

Thanks!

1. What is Schwarzschild geometry?

Schwarzschild geometry is a mathematical description of the curved spacetime around a non-rotating, electrically neutral, and non-charged massive object, such as a black hole or a star. It is named after the German physicist Karl Schwarzschild, who first derived the solution to Einstein's field equations to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by a single massive object.

2. What are the math requirements for understanding Schwarzschild geometry?

To understand Schwarzschild geometry, one must have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in differential geometry, tensor calculus, and differential equations. These mathematical tools are necessary for solving and understanding the complicated equations of general relativity, which govern the behavior of spacetime in the presence of massive objects.

3. What are the physics requirements for understanding Schwarzschild geometry?

Aside from a solid understanding of mathematical concepts, one must also have a strong grasp of physics, particularly in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and special relativity. This is because Schwarzschild geometry is based on the principles of general relativity, which combines these branches of physics to describe the behavior of gravity and spacetime.

4. How is Schwarzschild geometry related to black holes?

Schwarzschild geometry is closely related to black holes because it is the mathematical description of the spacetime curvature around these mysterious objects. The solution to Einstein's field equations for a non-rotating, electrically neutral, and non-charged massive object results in a singularity at the center, which defines the event horizon of a black hole.

5. Why is understanding Schwarzschild geometry important?

Understanding Schwarzschild geometry is crucial in understanding the behavior of gravity and spacetime around massive objects, such as black holes. It also has practical applications, such as in the accurate prediction of the orbits of planets and other celestial bodies, as well as in the fields of astrophysics and cosmology.