Dual Boot Vista & Linux: Experience and Advice

• Thread starter J Goodrich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dual
In summary, the conversation discusses one person's experience with Linux and their plans to install it on their computer. They are seeking advice on how much to shrink their C: drive and which Linux OS to install. Suggestions are given to use virtualization or a Linux boot CD to repartition the drive. It is also recommended to install Windows first and then Ubuntu. The size of the partitions depends on whether the user wants a separate data partition or if the two OS will be completely separate. Caution is advised when compressing the Windows partition.
J Goodrich
Does anyone have any experience with this on their computers? I have minimal experience with Linux, but since I'm going to school in a week to begin a degree in electrical engineering, I thought having a Linux OS on my system would be a good move.

My HD is 455 gigabytes right now...I was wondering if people had any suggestions on how much I should shrink my C: drive to make room for Linux? And I'm thinking about installing Ubuntu, any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
In the past I've found that it's easier to install windows OS first and then linux second. Personally I would recommend just using vmware to install a virtual linux OS, instead of dual booting.

The simplest way is to install windows, then ubuntu. The installation interface on ubuntu is much nicer than on windows and it will repartition your drive easily. If you do it the other way then windows will remove GRUB boot loader which is better than window's.

You can also get a Gparted which is a free linux based boot CD that can independently repartition your drive to your needs, but most OS come with their own partition software.

I shrank my windows partition with gparted and then installed linux (fedora) on the remaining space. It worked perfectly. When you're finished you can configure GRUB so that it let's you choose between windows and linux at boot time.

What size do you recommend that I make my partitions?

Do you want to make a separate partition to save data on independent of the operating system (so you'd have 3 partitions: windows, ubuntu and data)? Or will the two be completely separate?
If the former is true, than Ubuntu itself will only need about 5G for a full install with all possible packages. You might want to give it a little more depending on how much free space you have.
If the later is the case than it depends on how much you plan on storing in each one. Be careful with the windows partition though, you might loose data if you compress it to aggressively, so make sure that everything you have on it will fit in the new space with a little extra room. I'd recommend backing it up first.

1. Can I install both Vista and Linux on the same computer?

Yes, it is possible to have a dual boot setup with both Vista and Linux on the same computer. This allows you to choose which operating system to boot into when you start your computer.

2. Which operating system should I install first?

It is generally recommended to install Windows Vista first, as it tends to be less forgiving when installing alongside another operating system. Installing Linux second will usually result in a smoother setup process.

3. How much space should I allocate for each operating system?

This depends on your personal needs and the size of your hard drive. Generally, it is recommended to allocate at least 20GB for each operating system. However, if you plan on installing many programs or storing large files, you may want to allocate more space.

4. Can I access files from one operating system while using the other?

Yes, it is possible to access files from both operating systems. However, you will need to make sure that your partitions are formatted in a way that both operating systems can read. Additionally, you may need to install special drivers or software to access certain file systems.

5. What are the benefits of having a dual boot setup?

A dual boot setup allows you to have access to both Windows and Linux on the same computer, giving you the flexibility to use whichever operating system is best for your needs at the time. It also allows you to experiment with different operating systems without completely replacing your current one.