What's in an electronics hobbyist's toolbox?

• Thread starter MATLABdude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
In summary: A voltmeter, for measuring voltages outside the range of...A few (higher-power) soldering irons.A few pairs of precision diagonal cutters.A small hammer.A small screwdriver.Wire strippers.A small screwdriver with a Phillips head.A small screwdriver with a flat head.A small hacksaw.A small filesaw.A small chisel.A small wire brush.A small wire saw.A small razor blade.An awl.A small needle-nose pliers.A small pair of wire cutters.An adjustable-temperature soldering station.A pair of fine-point
yungman said:
If you get parts from Hong Kong or China, you better measure the resistor values before putting it in.

This is good advice in general, IMO. Even with high-quality suppliers, if you are taking resistors (or other components) out of supply drawers as you kit for your prototype, you should check the values of the parts (both via the markings/color codes and by testing them). I've had one time where a nearby-value resistor got dropped into the wrong bin by somebody, and that confused my bring-up of a prototype circuit. And another time that I noticed that a technician had refilled a resistor bin with the wrong value resistors (missed the "k" in the value) -- luckily I noticed that problem visually instead of trying to use those parts...

Engineering news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
This is good advice in general, IMO. Even with high-quality suppliers, if you are taking resistors (or other components) out of supply drawers as you kit for your prototype, you should check the values of the parts (both via the markings/color codes and by testing them). I've had one time where a nearby-value resistor got dropped into the wrong bin by somebody, and that confused my bring-up of a prototype circuit. And another time that I noticed that a technician had refilled a resistor bin with the wrong value resistors (missed the "k" in the value) -- luckily I noticed that problem visually instead of trying to use those parts...
When Leo Fender was in business, he was not the type to keep stocked up on resistors, capacitors, etc. Run out of one value? Use components that would "work". I have rebuilt a lot of Fender amps and have found factory-installed components that were "off". This was most prevalent in the late "blackface" and early ""silverface" years IME, but there could be problems in the tweed series, as well. If you have a nice-looking old tube amp that just sounds harsh, blatty, or flat, start tearing that rascal down. Chances are, Leo and company were running out of components and started swapping in others.

berkeman said:

I am even talking about resistor from HK that said 68.1K and measured 75K...every one of them! But they are so cheap that make measuring it worth while. You can go broke buying a kid from Digikey!.

Ya. Can't stress it enough - measure the stuff, sometimes something gets mis marked. I got resistor kit in pieces of tape (as for feeding into machine), 50 values each with 50 resistors, and I measured one each value and wrote it on tape itself. I still can't quickly read the colour codes, especially as the paints vary and if i didn't see full paint set they used the very dull orange can either be orange or brown, etc. Heh.

Re: when you don't have correct part, you can just use several resistors in series/parallel. Ditto for power ratings. I recommend using in series as this increases max. voltage (resistors can arc over). Also, in many places the value itself is picked semi arbitrarily (and can be substantially different either way), but needs to be equal, or correctly related to another value.

Last edited:
However you would need a 40 tonne artic to carry all the stuff mentioned here, rather than a toolbox.

:biggrin:

We seem to be continuing this older thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=478363&highlight=meter&page=2

One cheap sig gen solution in post#23
Meter solutions in post#5
Attached is a useful older portable audio and telephone test set pic. It incorporates sources, load and metering.

Attachments

• siemens1.jpg
    siemens1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:
Simpson 260 forever

i like my HP-180 o'scope

and a DOS PC with DCCAD for printed cuircuit boards and QBASIC for computing.

Hey guys,
Do any of you guys know of any "assortment" packages for circuit elements? For example, an assortment package of diodes, transistors, capacitors, resistors, etc? I want to get a vast variety to play with, but everywhere I go is about singles, and I'd prefer to not have to sift through a list of 200 transistors to pick ten!
Thanks

sandy.bridge said:
Hey guys,
Do any of you guys know of any "assortment" packages for circuit elements? For example, an assortment package of diodes, transistors, capacitors, resistors, etc? I want to get a vast variety to play with, but everywhere I go is about singles, and I'd prefer to not have to sift through a list of 200 transistors to pick ten!
Thanks

I don't think that's such a good idea. Chances are, that the thing you are building, needs components that not usually(Murphy's law) in that assortment kit.

Best bet is that you pick a project, and buy components for that project. But buy 2-3 more than you need, unless its expensive, that is how you build your own assortment kit.

At least I did.

And I was on 10 dollars away from buying those assortment kits. I am glad that I didn't. But still, if you still want it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-component-kit-pack-900-pieces-230-comps-values-/270900037156?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3f12e68624

or pick your own poison:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Electrica...ctronics+kit&_catref=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538

Enjoy

Going to be finalizing my order for tomorrow. Is a 10MHz function generator suffice? For a beginner, that is.

sandy.bridge said:
Going to be finalizing my order for tomorrow. Is a 10MHz function generator suffice? For a beginner, that is.

It depends on what you are working on. I work on music electronics, I only have a 2MHz generator for $99 as I born cheap! Make sure to get one with square, triangular, pulse, DC offset etc.

Oh,Very Good Topic.
Magnifying glasses,pliers(very Important Because I had Bad Situation Without Pliers),Nut,screw and screwdriver and etc.

ElectroDroid. It's an app for your Android phone that puts together a LOT of very useful tools and information for the electronics geek. I downloaded it for free but ended up donating to the developer just because it is worth it.

Here are just a few of the tools it has:

Under the "Calculators" tab:
resistor color code
smd resistor code
inductor code
ohm's law
reactance resonance calculator
filters
every circuit simulator
voltage divider
resistor ratio
resistor value/series/parallel
cap charge
op amps
lm 317 calc
ne555 calc
power dissapation
battery life calc
PCB trace width calc
voltage drop calc
AND MORE!

It also has Pin Out chart for a PILE of common connections:
USB
Serial
Parallel
Ethernet
RJ
SCART
DVI HDMI
S-VIdeo
VESA
RCA
OBD-II
SD Card
...just to name a few

It also has a lot of resources like microcontroller pinouts, amp tables, schematic symbols (in case you forget what that weird one is!) logic gates, batteries and a pile more.

Look, I can't highly recommend it enough. It's really a sweet app!

I find it REALLY odd that no one mentioned electrical tape.

Also, I'd add shrink-tubing

I spent my time rebuilding old tube amps. No need for tape or shrink tubing. Everything in there was bare. Solid wire soldered to tag-board.

I actually have tape and shrink tubing, but for house-wiring, not for electronics.

I'm getting started in my garage and looking to work on some easy starter projects, i.e. radio, LED blinky thingys, maybe a clock of some kind.

Do you recommend I get "starter kits" or should i build my inventory project by project? Also, any of you use Arduinos? seems like there is a big community for them for step by step projects.

This site may suit you H2bro

allaboutcircuits.com

Studiot said:
This site may suit you H2bro

allaboutcircuits.com

Nice! good resource thanks Studiot.

A Dremel modelling drill with wire brush to clean corroded battery terminals. Is it only me that ends up with all these kids toys with leaking batteries fouling up the works?
Plasticine to hold fiddly things while I work on them.
Hundreds of tiny screws of all sizes to replace all the ones that have been lost before it gets to me to fix.
Zillions of screwdrivers, including that weird 3-sided Nintendo one.
Super glue and super glue solvent. Thread lock.
Fimo modelling clay and also car resin to repair/replace broken/lost parts.
This is a fascinating question. In 40 years I have collected an awful amount of stuff. Never thought about it before.

beside that list:
- arduino
- calculator (for calculate sometimes)
- electronics book
- some common electronics component (resistors 100,1k,4k7, Trans 2n222, bc547, cap 100uF, 1000uF, 22pF,)

Also I have seen people use that blue putty, I think it is called "blue stick" instead of the regular old vacuum pick up tools. Dave from the EEVblog uses this a lot to pick up small components. Also a scope is a really good piece of equipment to have around for hobbyists, I posted an ad on craigslist and got 2 scopes for free.

full set of quality hand tools
Needle node pliers
Quality Side cutters,
Vero and bread board
Assortment of TTL and CMOS IC's
BC107/BC108 GP Transistors.
Some "Resistor packs"
Good 12 Volt power supply with an LM78H05 +5 Volt regulator circuit OR
A variable current / voltage power supply
Function Generator
Hand Held CRO
Digital and Analogue multimeters
Lots of bits of single strand copper wire (for breadboard)
Cheap EVBU microcontroller with DAC's and ADC's, plus LCD display and some digital I/O
SOLDERING IRON and SOLDER ! (it's solder, not sodder too ) (I'm Australian)
Good quality Philips screwdriver
TORX wrenches
lots of 1K Ohm resistors (trust me on this)
LED's (assorted colours) (yes, Australian)
Heat shrink (and at least a lighter)
Jewellers screwdrivers
anti-static wrist strap and mat
quality torch and magnifying glass
Spray freeze
'J' Size spanner set (certainly a "J1")
Alan keys
Hammer (for emergencies, and 'external percussion tests')
hand drill
Solder wick
Solder sucker
string
cloth and water plus Alcohol
Que tips (cotton wool buds)
Files (needle)
Knife
Dental probes
assortment of screws, standoff's, nuts and bolts (J size).
WD40
Fuses
you could go on forever..

(for you RF types)
Grid/Gate dip oscillator
Frequency Counter (plus period)

What do you guys use to keep all your stuff in? Any special sort of tool-box? I find it rather awkward keeping my components, tools, microcontroller, digital oscilloscope, etc, all in a box.

sandy.bridge said:
What do you guys use to keep all your stuff in? Any special sort of tool-box? I find it rather awkward keeping my components, tools, microcontroller, digital oscilloscope, etc, all in a box.
No, 2 boxes! One for cables, the other for the everything else including a car battery recharger. And its jumbled up.

Don't forget:
Small 4vdc power driver drill with bits for the many cabinet and case screws you will come across.
Zip ties in asst sizes
Grounding bracelet
Asst fuzes
A small set of band aides

I also have a battery operated transmitter and flash light. An additional set of safety ware.

I also have a battery operated transmitter

that needs further clarification

what sort of transmitter, what do you use it for ?

Dave

I was just wondering if any of you have a brazing torch in your toolkit, and if you would recommend it (interest in robotics --construction and everything). I'm just generally curious. Thanks !

MATLABdude said:
I've occasionally been asked by some of the students I've mentored or TA'd over the years, "What's in your toolbox? What do you recommend for someone who's just starting off to put in their toolbox?" I thought it might be fun / helpful to list some of your contents / essentials!

In my (electronics) toolbox (and piled on top/around it), I have:
  • multimeter (Meterman 37XR, purchased after a few lower-quality multimeters gave up)
  • bits of wire made into various probing bits for the above
  • nice multi-bit screwdriver (Megalok)
  • multi-bit mini-screwdriver set (think jeweller's tools)
  • allen key set on a handle (so you don't lose any)
  • several pairs of needle nose pliers (regular to really, really narrow)
  • several pairs of side cutters (in various stages of being chewed up)
  • Greenlee inductive probe
  • needle- and blunt-tipped tweezers
  • spring-loaded mini grabber thingamajig
  • fancy self-adjusting wire strippers (I had an employee discount)
  • breadboard + a small roll of 22 gauge solid-core wire
  • adjustable-temperature Weller soldering station, fine (lead) solder, and braid
  • hot glue gun
  • hot air gun
  • small box-cutter
  • pair of handy-hands

Plus some assorted components / odds-and-ends I haven't file away into the appropriate storage case.
My latest science project has required that I invest in some surface mount soldering equipment. I figured I was going to be old, blind, and dead before I had to do this stuff. Turns out I'm a lot better at this than most electronics whippersnappers. :)

Binocular microscope and micropositioning table. Actually you CAN do surface mount soldering without these, but is sure makes it a lot more fun. :)

Likes Mike_In_Plano
This is a great thread! I'm fresh out of school and hoping to break into the Controls, Calibration and Electronics field and I never could get an exhaustive list of what I would need. Usually the only answer I get is "DMM and wire strippers". Thanks everyone for the replies and insight.

Likes berkeman
How about a first aid kit? and a defibrillator for those times when you overshock the system?

Likes Rx7man
LOL :-)

jedishrfu said:
How about a first aid kit? and a defibrillator for those times when you overshock the system?
For those kind of problems, if I lived near berkeman, I'd just call him.

Likes berkeman
Back