Suggestion about research object(quantum mechanics)

In summary, the conversation discusses a Ph.D student's experience in theoretical physics in China and the challenges of finding new topics to publish in. They mention their current study of modern differential geometry and ask for suggestions on domains related to quantum mechanics. A suggestion is made to look into decoherence or quantum computing, particularly in relation to topological quantum computers.
bobydbcn
Hello everyone,
I am a Ph.D student in my first semester. My major is theoretical physics. I am in china. Furthermore, the system of education is different from America and European. There is no courses here. So if you want to learn physics, you must depend on all yourself.Our main object are publishing at least three papers if you want to gratuate on time.
My tutor give me an subject about geometric phase, i.e. Berry phase, A-A phase and so on. It is really a hard one. These days, I plunge myself into the study of morden differential geometry especially in lie groups, pinciple fiber bundles, connection and parallel transport. Now I can read paper in that domain. However, I find it is very hard to find something new in that field. It is rather perfect.
So can you suggest me some domain that are easy to find some objects to publish? You had better the domain in quantum mechanics. I am not very familiar with quantum field theory. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking at something related to decoherence or quantum computing. Topological quantum computers use some of those phases, I think.

Jim Graber

jimgraber said:
Try looking at something related to decoherence or quantum computing. Topological quantum computers use some of those phases, I think.

Jim Graber

Thank a million for your constructive suggestion. I will think about them seriously.
Best wishes

bob

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. It describes how particles such as electrons and photons behave and interact with each other.

2. Why is quantum mechanics important?

Quantum mechanics is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of our universe and how they behave. It has also led to groundbreaking technologies such as transistors and lasers.

3. How does quantum mechanics differ from classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics focuses on the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic in nature.

4. What are some current areas of research in quantum mechanics?

Some current areas of research in quantum mechanics include quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum entanglement. Scientists are also studying the application of quantum mechanics in fields such as biology and materials science.

5. How can quantum mechanics be applied in everyday life?

Quantum mechanics has already been applied in many areas of everyday life, such as in the development of new technologies like computers and smartphones. It is also being used in fields like medicine and energy production. As our understanding of quantum mechanics continues to grow, we may see even more applications in the future.