2 dielectrics in a parrelle plate capacitor. (i dont need answer just the intuition)

In summary: I am pretty sure i get the intuition behind it, ill take it that i just use Gaussian pillbox for each of the dielectrics that it touches and see where that takes me
minimark1234
question:
so here is what my problem is. there are two dielectrics between a parallel plate capacitor. distance between the two plates is '2s' and each dielectric is 's' long. each plate has a charge of [tex]\itshape \sigma[/tex] (top being pos. and bottom being neg. and doesn't give an area) how would i go about finding the electric fields in each dielectric.

i was thinking finding the electric field (using a pillbox, and Gaussian theorem) caused by each plate ONLY to the dielectric touching it. after doing that to each do i have to find what the electric field in each dielectric due to the other dielectric and other plate? or am i done there?
it makes sense that i would have to keep going, but then again, i haven't learned enough from my textbook (Griffith EM 2nd edit.) to continue on with the problem. or i might

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think I remember the problem you are talking about , (Griffith textbook is a great one but I aslo struggled with the probelms he wrote) ..

anyway, I suggest you start from the fact that : integral of D .da = Q(fenc) ,and find D from there , then you can easily find E using :

D = e E (e here is epsilon) ..

I hope I was able to help you with this problem .. :)

thebigstar25 said:
I think I remember the problem you are talking about , (Griffith textbook is a great one but I aslo struggled with the probelms he wrote) ..

anyway, I suggest you start from the fact that : integral of D .da = Q(fenc) ,and find D from there , then you can easily find E using :

D = e E (e here is epsilon) ..

I hope I was able to help you with this problem .. :)

ok, you that's what i was going for, but do u know if each dielectric is effected by just the plate touching it, or everything including the other dielectric?

when you find D you should notice that it is the same for both dielctric, so in order to find E you just need to find (epsilon) for each one then from there you can get E .. Do you agree with that? If it is still not clear ask again ..

thebigstar25 said:
when you find D you should notice that it is the same for both dielctric, so in order to find E you just need to find (epsilon) for each one then from there you can get E .. Do you agree with that? If it is still not clear ask again ..

ya I am pretty sure i get the intuition behind it, ill take it that i just use Gaussian pillbox for each of the dielectrics that it touches and see where that takes me

I believe you are starting in the right way, try to solve it and let us know what answer you will end up :) ..

What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a material that can be placed between the plates of a capacitor to increase its capacitance. It is an insulating material that is able to store electrical energy.

How do two dielectrics affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The presence of two dielectrics between the plates of a parallel plate capacitor will increase the overall capacitance. This is because the dielectrics have a higher permittivity than air, which allows for more charge to be stored on the plates.

What is the difference between series and parallel placement of two dielectrics in a capacitor?

In series placement, the two dielectrics are stacked on top of each other between the plates, while in parallel placement, they are placed side by side between the plates. Series placement results in a higher overall capacitance compared to parallel placement.

How does the thickness and permittivity of the dielectrics affect the capacitance of the capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor with two dielectrics is directly proportional to the thickness of the dielectrics and the permittivity of the materials. The thicker the dielectrics and the higher their permittivity, the higher the capacitance of the capacitor.

Can two different dielectric materials be used in a parallel plate capacitor?

Yes, two different dielectric materials can be used in a parallel plate capacitor. This can result in a higher capacitance compared to using only one type of dielectric, as each material has a different permittivity value, which can increase the overall capacitance.